Turn Off Ads?
Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152 LastLast

Thread: Yonder Alonso

Re: Yonder Alonso

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    At least see what he can do. Ryan Braun was also allegedly a third baseman once.
    Braun's scintillating defensive skills at the hot corner are the reason Alonso was moved to 1B at Miami. Color me skeptical about his chances of ever playing anywhere other than 1B.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I read somewhere that he can catch? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    I read somewhere that he can catch? Or is that just wishful thinking?
    He was a catcher before he was with the Hurricanes, but those days are long gone. He's a corner infielder, and even then, a few have had doubts of his ability to be more than a designated hitter. Personally, I'm confident he'll be a serviceable first baseman, but I don't think he has any chance at sticking at catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    This is a blurb from Fay:
    He'll report to Sarasota. He won't play in any games for two or three weeks because he hasn't played in so long.
    ---------
    Who is still playing in 2-3 weeks.....could it be LOU? or a Sept. call up
    In 2 or 3 weeks the minor league season is basically over. Teams may be playing playoff games at that point but that is about it.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Braun's scintillating defensive skills at the hot corner are the reason Alonso was moved to 1B at Miami. Color me skeptical about his chances of ever playing anywhere other than 1B.
    Braun's last year at Miami was 2005 and Alonso's first year was 2006.

Alonso had an excellent .994 fielding pct at first at Miami, and has goodhands and an "above average arm". Everyone talks like he's a non-fielding statue - range is the one factor that limits him but he has good first step quickness and reactions and should be a very good first baseman defensively as long as you don't expect him to cover ground like a Keith Hernandez. He'll catch errant throws, dig em out of the dirt, catch anything hit at him or within reach and provide steady play at first. I am not worried one darn bit about his glove - I think he profiles as a very good first baseman with his limited range being relatively unimportant at that position. The bat is my worry - not that he'll hit, I have no doubt of that. But will he hit like Sean Casey or will he prove to be the middle of the order slugger you'd really like out of your first baseman? Since he is slow afoot becoming a Casey or Al Oliver like liner drive hitter would lessen his value significantly.

* First-round pick Yonder Alonso will report to Sarasota on Monday for his physical and work out for two days before being assigned to a minor-league team.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Talked to Walt Jocketty about Yonder Alonso today. Two things:

--They think he'll be ready in the 2010. "He thinks he's ready now," Jocketty said. "I like that."

--The Reds will consider moving Joey Votto to the outfield. Left is the obvious spot. Alonso will work out at third base as well as first.

Was it a good signing? It depends on how Alonso turns out. I think he has the potential to be a Lance Berkman type -- a good hitter with power and a great on-base percentage. His on-base was .534 this year. The Reds need more hitters like that. This team is terrible at running up pitch counts.

But it's a huge step from college to the majors. We saw that with Brandon Larson, who the Reds took over Berkman by the way.

Here's the details on the contract:

--$2 million signing bonus. $1.5 million paid at approval. $500,000 paid June 15, 2009.

--$50,000 in salary for the rest of this season.

--$400,000 in 2009; $500,000 in 2010; $600,000 in 2011; $1 million in 2012.

--Tuition payments of three semesters at $26,000 each ($20,000-tuition; $6,000 expenses.)

--Family trip to Major League Debut

--Bonus money: $25,000 Rookie of the year; $100,000 MVP; $25,000 Gold Glove; $100,000 World Series MVP; $50,000 League Champion Series MVP; $25,000 Silver Slugger; $50,000 All-Star MVP; $25,000 All-Star selection.

--2012 may be voided if he has enough Major League service time to qualify for arbitration.
    From Fay. They have some crazy incentives in there. I'm hoping that he is ready before 2010. It shouldn't take that long for a hitter that polished to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Alonso had an excellent .994 fielding pct at first at Miami, and has goodhands and an "above average arm". Everyone talks like he's a non-fielding statue - range is the one factor that limits him but he has good first step quickness and reactions and should be a very good first baseman defensively as long as you don't expect him to cover ground like a Keith Hernandez. He'll catch errant throws, dig em out of the dirt, catch anything hit at him or within reach and provide steady play at first. I am not worried one darn bit about his glove - I think he profiles as a very good first baseman with his limited range being relatively unimportant at that position. The bat is my worry - not that he'll hit, I have no doubt of that. But will he hit like Sean Casey or will he prove to be the middle of the order slugger you'd really like out of your first baseman? Since he is slow afoot becoming a Casey or Al Oliver like liner drive hitter would lessen his value significantly.
    I pretty much agree with this assessment. I don't see him as a 30+ HR hitter a season, but I think 20-25 is very reachable (especially in GAB) and I could see him being a good doubles hitter as well.

Wasn't Yonder on scholarship at the U? Why do we have to pay for his tuition if he had a full ride?

I don't think the Reds would have drafted Alonso if they didn't think he was a 30 homerun guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    Wasn't Yonder on scholarship at the U? Why do we have to pay for his tuition if he had a full ride?
    Scholarships are a year by year thing, considering he's not playing baseball there anymore, he'll be taken off scholarship.

Just glad it was done...now lets see what the kid can do
    Reds fan since 1970

$100,000 World Series MVP;
    There's an incentive I'd really like to see him meet.

It was essential they get this deal done. Good for Jocketty on forging a compromise and getting Alonso signed.

Turn Off Ads?