Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Yonder Alonso

Re: Yondor Alonso

There is an article on Pro Sports Daily under ARod and Papi dinner date pertaining to Alonso and his connections with these two and salary comments as well.

2. Turn Off Ads?

There have been multiple articles and bits from the REDS indicating that its not really the money but the fact that he wants a big league contract. I think that if the REDS really don't want to give him the big league contract so be it. He has not played an inning of proball yet.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Shouldn't have drafted him if you knew he wanted that type of contract.

Do your homework next time. Who's running the draft, Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown?

LOL.

DINNER DATE FOR A-ROD, PAPI
    By GEORGE A. KING III

BOSTON - Alex Rodriguez and David Ortiz shared a late meal Saturday night on the eve of Rodriguez's 33rd birthday at JER-NE restaurant and were joined by somebody Rodriguez predicts will develop into a star.

Sitting with the perennial All Stars was Yonder Alonso, a Coral Gables, Fla., resident, former Miami University star and the seventh pick (by the Reds) in last month's draft who Rodriguez predicts will sign a $7 million contract soon.

"Manny (Ramirez) and (Ortiz) are [my] close friends," Rodriguez said when asked if he often socializes with opponents before the Yanks New York Yankees ' 9-2 loss to the Red Sox last night.

Alonso is more than a friend to Rodriguez, a fellow Coral Gables resident.

"He hits at my house every night, still does," Rodriguez said of left-handed hitting first baseman Rodriguez compared with a young Jason Giambi . "He was my shadow for four months during the winter."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07282008...api_121938.htm
    I miss Adam Dunn.

$7 million? Am I reading that right? A 7 million dollar contract for Yonder? That is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    $7 million? Am I reading that right? A 7 million dollar contract for Yonder? That is ridiculous.
    All pre draft Alonso said he wanted a 7 million dollar major league deal. Why does that shock you?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    All pre draft Alonso said he wanted a 7 million dollar major league deal. Why does that shock you?
    Wanting and getting are two different things. I knew he wanted it but never thought he would get it.

Negotiation 101:

Side A asks for the sun, moon, stars and pretty much everything else in the galaxy.

Side B offers a couple of neutrinos.

If both sides play their cards like they are supposed to, it usually comes down to whatever deadline is imposed on the negotiation window. Said deadline is the impetus for each side to either go or get off the proverbial pot.

Once a deal is reached at the 11th hour (as it is in most instances), both sides can claim that they each got what they wanted. Win-win. Alonso shows up for a meet & greet in GAB, takes a few batting practice cuts, and then gears up to go play in the AFL.

It's all just part of the dance.

Hardly any of the other big names have signed either. I'm not worried....yet

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    What's the record for a Reds' Draftee? Somewhere under $3Mil? Isn't the record for a #1 pick $6.15 Mil? The more I learn about this case, the more I think the small market teams like the Reds and the Pirates have intentionally taken guys they won't sign now that they get the same pick the following year. What have they got to lose? Offer him slot money; If he takes it Great, we got a bargain; If he doesn't, we get the same pick next year. Personally, I don't think the kid is signing. The Giants picked Buster Posey, who's publicly stated he wants $12Mil. There are still 4 guys in front of Alonso who haven't signed, so it is possible that our 7b pick next year is actually the 12th pick instead of the 8th. Something to think about...

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    What's the record for a Reds' Draftee? Somewhere under $3Mil? Isn't the record for a #1 pick $6.15 Mil? The more I learn about this case, the more I think the small market teams like the Reds and the Pirates have intentionally taken guys they won't sign now that they get the same pick the following year. What have they got to lose? Offer him slot money; If he takes it Great, we got a bargain; If he doesn't, we get the same pick next year. Personally, I don't think the kid is signing. The Giants picked Buster Posey, who's publicly stated he wants $12Mil. There are still 4 guys in front of Alonso who haven't signed, so it is possible that our 7b pick next year is actually the 12th pick instead of the 8th. Something to think about...
    Its tricky. If you sign a MLB contract, you can have your bonus split up between years. Last year the #27 pick signed a MLB contract out of HS for over 7 million bucks. His official signing bonus was like 3.15 million though.

If he turns out like A-rod it'd be worth it :-p.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    If he turns out like A-rod it'd be worth it :-p.
    A young Jason Giambi wouldn't be bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    A young Jason Giambi wouldn't be bad either.
    So you think A-Rod has already got him on the Juice!!!

What is going on with first-round Draft choice Yonder Alonso? Are the Reds going to sign him or just throw away a Draft pick?
    -- Michael J., Cincinnati, Ohio

Right now, there's a lot of feet dragging with all the top-level Draft picks before an Aug. 15 deadline to sign them or lose them. Among the top 10, no one has signed except the No. 1 and No. 6 picks. Agents aren't in a rush because they don't want to set the bar too low on the bonus money. And to no surprise, clubs don't want to set the bar too high. I talked to scouting director Chris Buckley late last week and he seemed optimistic that Alonso would get signed.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?