Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 52 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Yonder Alonso

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Yondor Alonso

If Yonder is friends with A-Rod, does that mean he's also friends with Madonna? (and Kevin Bacon?)

Who cares if he wants a Big League contract? He's going to be in the Big Leagues by 2010 anyway. If that is the major hang up, the Reds are bush leaguing their way through the negotiations. Are they taking pointers from Mike Brown and his family on how to negotiate contracts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

He would be in the big leagues in 2010 based on the fact that he would be getting reps in minor league ball. It is quite rare, but it does happen in some instances that a player makes such a leap. Alonso in my opinion isn't that kind of a player. He needs to put some time in down on the farm.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    He would be in the big leagues in 2010 based on the fact that he would be getting reps in minor league ball. It is quite rare, but it does happen in some instances that a player makes such a leap. Alonso in my opinion isn't that kind of a player. He needs to put some time in down on the farm.
    Yonder has the type of plate discipline that even if he signs right before the deadline and doesn't get in any time in the farm this year, could still make it as a September call up next year.
    Figure he would play Winter Ball and start the year at Sarasota move up quickly from there. He could be in AA in mid May b/c of the type of hitter he is.

Longoria played 205 minor league games before getting the call and he is a special player. Alonso is good but he needs to spend at least two seasons in the minors.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    If Yonder is friends with A-Rod, does that mean he's also friends with Madonna? (and Kevin Bacon?)

Who cares if he wants a Big League contract? He's going to be in the Big Leagues by 2010 anyway. If that is the major hang up, the Reds are bush leaguing their way through the negotiations. Are they taking pointers from Mike Brown and his family on how to negotiate contracts?
    2010 is a year and a half of a FA contract for a middle-of the order hitter. We could be talking $20 million dollars. I'd hardly call waiting a month to see if he'll budge being bush-league. Especially given that it seems the be the precedent league-wide.

Yonder still has a mush better eye at the plate, not saying Longoria is bad, but Yonder's walk rate is just that good.

In college Evan walked 12.6% of the time striking out 16.3%
    Yonder walked 25.9% of the time while striking out 15.5%

in Evan's years in college he posted .320/.368/.421 for a .789 OPS in his first year and .353/.468/.602 for a .1070 OPS

Yonder in 3 years: .295/.373/.492 for a .865 OPS, .376/.519/.705 for a .1224 OPS, and .370/.534/.777 for a .1311 OPS

Yonder is a much better hitter than Evan at least in college since we have no MiLB stats for Yonder yet. The thing Evan's got is he is just a better athlete

Yonder can make it to the show in a hurry with the kind of plate discipline he has

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Longoria played in an extreme pitchers park in college too, something that really shouldn't be overlooked while examining his college stats.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Longoria played in an extreme pitchers park in college too, something that really shouldn't be overlooked while examining his college stats.
    agreed but when it comes to the plate discipline advantage that Yonder has, it isn't affected by the ball park.

Not being biased even but I think Yonder is going to be the more feared offensive player of the two. When I look at his numbers, skills, and even body types, I see a left handed hitting Albert Pujouls.

Any way just think about our offense if both Bruce and Alonso reach their potential comparisons of Larry Walker and by my account and a few others Albert Pujols. Our lineup is going to be very very very scary in a few years, one capable of putting up 1000 runs a year for awhile.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Getting back to the contract negotiations, from what I've been reading, MLB pressures clubs in two ways:

1. Don't go over slot
    2. If you're going to go over slot anyway, wait until the last minute to announce it so it doesn't mess up other teams' negotiations

I don't know what kind of contract Alonso will get, but if they're talking about a major-league contract or an above-slot bonus or both, it suggests we won't hear about it until close to the 15th.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

First-round pick Yonder Alonso is the only Miami player yet to sign, but sources indicate a deal with the Reds likely will get done by the August 15 deadline.

http://collegebaseball.rivals.com/co...asp?CID=830827

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    I see a left handed hitting Albert Pujouls.
    wow, those expectations are going to be high. Alonso is 21, Pujols was already tearing up the majors at that age.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    wow, those expectations are going to be high. Alonso is 21, Pujols was already tearing up the majors at that age.
    In all fairness, Pujols had the body of a 28-year old at 21. That's why he hasn't really improved all that drastically from his rookie numbers (which were phenominal in their own right!)

Point is, this guy has some chub that a professional workout regimine could do wonders for...

Turn that baby-fat into some solid meat and he'll be pounding the ball.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 07-30-2008 at 10:03 AM.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I'm pretty sure the University of Miami has a good S&C program. Maybe Alonso is always going to have a similar body as he does in that pic.

Unless they trained at BALCO, not many guys get a lot bigger after college in terms of muscle. You see a lot of baseball players get fatter as they get older, but not more muscular (again, unless they are doing something illegal in most cases).

He's acctually not fat. Just a very unique build that makes him look it.

Watch this video http://youtube.com/watch?v=UKLrzcRz_Qo and look for when they show him working out with A-Rod and you can definitely see that he is not fat

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Some Reds fans actually think Adam Dunn is fat. I don't know how many times I've heard that he needs to lose weight. Silly.

Turn Off Ads?