Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mariners fire manager McLaren

Mariners fire manager McLaren

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8...anager-McLaren
    John McLaren has been fired as manager of the Mariners, the Seattle Times reported on its Web site Thursday.

Bench coach Jim Riggleman has been promoted to the position, according to the report.
    A press conference is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. ET.

The Mariners are an MLB-worst 25-47 and sit 17.5 games behind the first place Anaheim Angels in the AL West.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mariners fire manager McLaren

That didn't take long.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Well two heads have been chopped before we get to July. ....

Who is next??? With out a doubt it has to be OZZZZIE from Chitown. I would think that Hurdle and Black have to be on the hot seat also.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

Quote Originally Posted by alexad View Post
    Well two heads have been chopped before we get to July. ....

Who is next??? With out a doubt it has to be OZZZZIE from Chitown. I would think that Hurdle and Black have to be on the hot seat also.
    Why would Guillen be fired? He's currently directing a team with a 4.5 game lead in what was expected to be a highly competitive division. I'm sure 1st place managers have been fired before, but I don't think Kenny Williams will axe the man who is leading that team currently.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I kinda feel like an idiot: this guy has been the manager of Seattle for almost a year, and I have no idea who John McLaren is.
    Even worse so, since he was a coach under Piniella in '92.

I thought McLaren would go first (with the end of this home stand being a very likely target) and then Bavasi would go at the ed of the season. After Bavasi got fired, I thought McLaren would be safe until the new GM came on board.

Now the waiting game begins.

PS: how can "baseball guys" be exposed so badly at the strategic level?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I thought McLaren would go first (with the end of this home stand being a very likely target) and then Bavasi would go at the ed of the season. After Bavasi got fired, I thought McLaren would be safe until the new GM came on board.

Now the waiting game begins.

PS: how can "baseball guys" be exposed so badly at the strategic level?
    When you think about it, the underlying skills which make a person a good player, instructor, and tactician aren't really overlapping. Some people make great scientists, some great researchers, some great professors, and on rare occasion, all of the above, even though they have the exact same subject matter.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Other shifts in coaching:

Lee Elia, who replaced Pentland as the full-time hitting coach, becomes the bench coach and Juan Castro, who has been with the team for the past two weeks assisting Elia, takes over the hitting coach duties. The other coaches -- pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre, bullpen coach Norm Charlton, first-base coach Eddie Rodriguez and third-base coach Sam Perlozzo -- remain with the team.

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news...=.jsp&c_id=sea

Last edited by Matt700wlw; 06-19-2008 at 02:21 PM.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Bench coach Jim Riggleman has been promoted to the position
    Now the Reds will have something in common with the M's. Both are last-place teams managed by former Cubs' skippers. Having Screamin' Lee Elia on the bench may give the M's an edge, though.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Now the Reds will have something in common with the M's. Both are last-place teams managed by former Cubs' skippers. Having Screamin' Lee Elia on the bench may give the M's an edge, though.
    And the Cubs are managed by a guy who formerly skippered both the Reds and Ms.....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    And the Cubs are managed by a guy who formerly skippered both the Reds and Ms.....
    ...with a world series win and a pretty damn good team in the other

Next to go.....

Just like this relic

When will the firings begin on baseball's worst team? That's a question for you, Walt.

They did. Krivsky was the first firing of the season

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    When will the firings begin on baseball's worst team? That's a question for you, Walt.
    Dusty Baker will not be fired for performance reasons half a season into a 3-year contract. That would really poison the well for hiring a high-profile replacement.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?