Turn Off Ads?

Thread: ESPN "rumblings and grumblings" Reds tidbits....

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

ESPN "rumblings and grumblings" Reds tidbits....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...page=rumblings

The GM Alumni Club (Gerry Hunsicker, Wayne Krivsky, Jim Duquette, Paul DePodesta): Hunsicker seems unlikely to give up a tremendous gig in Tampa Bay. Krivsky deserves another chance after dramatically upgrading the Reds' talent pool.
    No longer interim (Pete Mackanin, Joel Skinner): Mackanin got trampled in Cincinnati because the Reds couldn't resist sprinting after a bigger name (Dusty Baker), but he actually did a terrific job: He took over a team that was 20 games under .500 and went 29-19 in his first 48 games until the Reds' regularly scheduled rash of injuries hit. He managed 13 years in the minor leagues and deserves another go-round.
    Phretting in Philly: With the help of a number of clubs that have spoken with the Phillies, we've assembled this shopping list of starting pitchers it appears they've at least kicked tires on: Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, Bronson Arroyo and (surprisingly) Jarrod Washburn. Bedard just hit the market, so you can add his name any minute now.
    Seeing Red: Despite all the talk about the Reds' trading Junior Griffey and/or Adam Dunn, the player who might attract the most interest is actually Ryan Freel, a guy who's "on everybody's radar," said one executive.

We've heard Freel's name connected, in some form, with every contender in the NL East (Phillies, Braves, Mets, Marlins), just for starters.

Junior Griffey Rumor of the Week: It's officially OK to ignore last week's Rumblings item that suggested our man Junior was no longer interested in a triumphant return to Seattle. In recent days, he's been telling players on other clubs he now wants to finish his career in Seattle. Meanwhile, we're hearing more and more people in baseball say that because his bat looks soooooo sloooooow, that final chapter needs to come sooner, not later.

"I keep thinking he's going to get traded to Seattle for next to nothing, spend the last two months there and then retire," said an official of one team. "If I were him, I'd just retire at the end of the year -- retire as a Red or a Mariner, tip your cap and say goodbye. Does he really want to bounce around and end his career by getting released by Tampa Bay in July? Is that really how he wants to go out? Based on the way he's playing, that's a scenario you could actually see happening."
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ESPN "rumblings and grumblings" Reds tidbits....

I just saw all of this on MLBTR, it'd sure be nice to get a prospect in exchange for Arroyo - maybe a Maloney type.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

Arroyo can net more than a maloney type prospect. And if he can't, then you keep him here because him on this roster is more valueable than another maloney.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I just don't see what we'd gain from trading JR to Seattle now if he really does plan on hanging them up after this season. They certainly wouldn't give us much in return as they're going nowhere even faster than we are this year.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I just don't see what we'd gain from trading JR to Seattle now if he really does plan on hanging them up after this season. They certainly wouldn't give us much in return as they're going nowhere even faster than we are this year.
    It gives us the ability to move on and allows us to put someone in RF that has better range than Griffey at this point. Whether thats Bruce, Dickerson, Hairston, Freel, whoever the extra range would arguably help the pitching staff that balls that Griffey wouldnt get to would become outs. Not to mention the fact it would make Duhhhsty try something different in RF and give 3rd to someone for another reason than "respect".
    Last edited by Slyder; 06-19-2008 at 08:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    The GM Alumni Club (Gerry Hunsicker, Wayne Krivsky, Jim Duquette, Paul DePodesta): Hunsicker seems unlikely to give up a tremendous gig in Tampa Bay. O'Brien deserves another chance after dramatically upgrading the Reds' talent pool.
    Fixed it for them.
    That Joey Votto is some kind of Man Candy!

"For them to boo me like that, it lets me know they dream about me at night. -- Brandon Phillips on Cards fans.

I'd love to see Junior come back to Seattle to end his career. It just seems right.

I don't even care if he sucks it up or not. Just seeing him in the uniform again is all I want.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgervilleBuck View Post
    Fixed it for them.
    O'Brien did the early legwork with attempting to instill better talent and more depth in the farm system. But Krivsky did his fair share, especially at the major league level.

Arroyo, Phillips, Keppinger, Bray, Thompson, Hamilton (then flipped for Volquez),Burton, Volquez, Cordero, heck maybe even Majewski will finally be a serviceable bullpen arm... or maybe not. Point being while I was never a DanO fan, he had a good enough plan and vision with building the farm system back up. Wayne was just able to find some pieces that wound up making a quicker impact at the major league level.

What bothers me the most about DanO' was his edict to the Minor League hitters that they always take the 1st pitch. This co-incided with the one down year Votto had at Potomac (Before Sarasota). Votto says that slowed his development, after his 2 great years to start in Professional Baseball. Attending several games at '07 ST with my brother, the eternal "Don't rush anybody" adherrent, turned to me and said of Votto, "Wow, he doesn't have anything left to prove at AAA". Here Votto is now, on the lead track for ROY. I'm thinkin' it maybe should have been last year.........

Turn Off Ads?