Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Olney says Reds firesale is ready to begin

Olney says Reds firesale is ready to begin

Buster Olney just said on Baseball Tonight that Walt Jocketty is ready to have a firesale and has told other teams he's ready to deal. Olney mentioned Arroyo, Dunn, and Griffey as the main three on the block. It's obvious this team is going no where this season so why not start dealing. The Reds have a good young nucleus of talent and hopefully Jocketty can add to it with some nice trades. Shortstop, catcher, and a center fielder should be targeted return right now IMO.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Olney says Reds firesale is ready to begin

Kurkjean mentioned something similar on Mike & Mike this morning.

Said the Reds are big time sellers and to expect them to start selling soon.

Griffey was the only name mentioned, and he talked about the Rays as the leading target, but added that Griffey is marginally better than Hinske, Floyd or Gomes, and why would the Rays want to spend so much money for a marginal upgrade.

And then Kurkjean went on to wax about the Randolph firing.

Blow it up real good.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Buster Olney just said on Baseball Tonight that Walt Jocketty is ready to have a firesale and has told other teams he's ready to deal. Olney mentioned Arroyo, Dunn, and Griffey as the main three on the block. It's obvious this team is going no where this season so why not start dealing. The Reds have a good young nucleus of talent and hopefully Jocketty can add to it with some nice trades. Shortstop, catcher, and a center fielder should be targeted return right now IMO.
    If true, he is looking to free up some payroll just like the majority thought he would.

How accurate is Olney on these types of remarks?

Sounds like the Reds want to sell unwanted contracts and free agents. Don't expect Josh Beckett in return.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Kurkjean mentioned something similar on Mike & Mike this morning.

Said the Reds are big time sellers and to expect them to start selling soon.
    Frankly, I think we're already selling; we're just waiting on buyers who are ready to do more than kick the tires.
    Not all who wander are lost

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Mixed signals. Jocketty says he's still analyzing talent and not considering any firesale and then Olney and others come out with this. Which is it?

I'd have to believe any competent GM who has watched this team for the last two months would surmise that a complete overhaul is needed, and yet Walt says we're still in the central race?

I don't much about Jocketty except his success at St. Louis, but both the owner and the GM say they want to win now and the grapevine says firesale. I don't get it.

(BTW, I'm hoping for firesale. I've had enough of this dog and pony show the last 7+ years.)
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Frankly, I think we're already selling; we're just waiting on buyers who are ready to do more than kick the tires.
    What happens if the buyers don't want outfielders, and want young pitching with an upside instead, that has some promise for a future at lower cost?

I don't think there's much doubt that Walt is selling and that he knows we're more likely to lose 100 games than contend in the Central. Let the sales begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    What happens if the buyers don't want outfielders, and want young pitching with an upside instead, that has some promise for a future at lower cost?
    You don't firesale your young pitchers, that's what you are looking for in return. Volquez, Cueto, and Thompson aren't going anywhere.

Bailey I could see being dealt.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

About the only players I hope that aren't in this firesale are: Phillips, Bruce, Volquez, Cueto, Burton. And Keppinger and Votto could be on that list.

Start building for the future Jock
    Most Vottomatic Player

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    You don't firesale your young pitchers, that's what you are looking for in return. Volquez, Cueto, and Thompson aren't going anywhere.

Bailey I could see being dealt.
    I know the first part, but what if the market wants young pitching and not expensive outfielders or questionable infielders that make a lot errors? Just saying, seems like the other GM's are looking for the same type of help with pitching at a premium as it has been.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    They're selling down to the bare walls! I think firesale means "touchable" Harang goes with Griffey to make the deal palatable for whoever takes Jr.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    About the only players I hope that aren't in this firesale are: Phillips, Bruce, Volquez, Cueto, Burton. And Keppinger and Votto could be on that list.

Start building for the future Jock
    I am like each of you hoping that Jocketty can keep the most hopeful younger players, the ones that bring some excitement and energy to the team and to the fan base.

Jocketty doesn't like the term firesale I'd imagine. That implies to fans selling/trading off players without thought of return, just to save payroll, without any other plan or purpose. And coming right out and saying "we're giving up on this season" wouldn't be very smart marketing wise.

First I'd imagine Walt wants to move Arroyo for payroll reasons going forward. Junior for both payroll and because it opens Bruce's natural spot. Dunn for future payroll, too. Jocketty wants room to move, to build his own team on the core he's pretty much identified. The difference with Walt is that I trust him to have a clue on how to best allocate dollars that are freed up by moves. The only question for me is whether Castellini stays the heck out of it and lets Walt do his job. Whatever Jocketty says I think the trade furor is coming and between that and promotions from the minors we won;t recognize much of the team come next spring...or maybe come August.

Turn Off Ads?