Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testicular cancer

They call me "chef"

Testicular cancer

Has anyone here been diagnosed with or battled testicular cancer? I might have it, I'm getting some tests taken this week, and I'd be interested to hear how long and when people caught it and their experiences with treatment.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Testicular cancer

I hope those tests turn out to be negative. Thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I hope you're okay, Baumer.

They call me "chef"

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

There is definitely a small tumor present. We just have to see if it's malignant (cancerous) and how far along it is. Everything I've read about this form of cancer gives hope though. Just praying I'm still in the early stage as that would make life about 1,000,000 times easier. Anyway, if there are similar stories out there, please share.

Wow. That's terrible. Good luck, man. I don't know what to say.

Makes the Reds being so terrible not seem so bad.

Prayers all turns out well.
    Go Gators!

That's horrible, aren't you a younger guy? The key to beating testicular cancer these days is to catch it early as with any cancer. My grandfather had it about 10 years and has successfully beaten it with no relapses with early detection. He's still living strong at 84 today. I wish you all the best.
    Last edited by harangatang; 06-20-2008 at 03:37 AM.

As a 50+ male in which prostrate cancer runs in the family, and in which I've had problems over the past few years, you're in my thoughts and prayers Baumer. I hope all turns out well.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

For a Level Playing Field

Best of luck. I thought John Kruk had it back when he was playing. Medicine has come a long way and I am confident that everything will be okay for you in the end.

High five!

Best wishes, broham! My Dad just went through the whole prostate cancer ordeal but they were able to detect it early and he's now cancer-free.

I had it about 10 1/2 years ago at the age of 28, Baumer. Testicular is the most common form of cancer in young men, although it's still pretty rare. I had the form known as seminoma, which is about the best kind to get because it almost always stays contained. I had surgery and about 3 1/2 weeks of radiation just before Christmas of '97. It's scary, no doubt, but the prognosis for testicular cancer is usually pretty good, and cases of recurrence are quite rare.

I'm cancer-free for over 10 years now. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions and I'll do my best to help. In the meantime, I found this to be a pretty helpful resource. Check out the celebrity page - quite a few baseball players had testicular cancer and are all doing well now: John Kruk, Mike Lowell and some others.

http://www.acor.org/TCRC/

Good luck with everything and try to stay positive!
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I'm a cancer researcher.

testicular cancer tends to be very responsive to current chemotherapy, even after it metastasizes. Lance Armstrong's really the big example-- he had mets that went to his brain, but responded very well to chemo and went on to a huge cycling career.

You never want to get any cancer, but if I had a gun to my head and had to choose one, this is a good one to pick.

key point: some young men get so depressed by disease and cost of treatment that they blow it all off. That's a bad idea, especially for a treatable disease.

ATTACK IT! give it everything you've got and then a bit more.

good luck
    Last edited by princeton; 06-20-2008 at 10:56 AM.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I'll be praying for you. Hoping it was caught early, whatever it turns out to be.

I have a tendency to try and look at things half full. If you got cancer, this is a good one to have. It's treatable. It's not a brain tumor. Get it cut out, get some treatments and get back in the game. That is the attitude you must have.

It's only human to be scared, and feel sorry for yourself, especially the day they tell you. However, the next morning, you got to "suck it up" and say "I'm going to beat this thing, it ain't the end of the world, it could be worse."

That's my best pep talk buddy. Good luck and stay positive.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

I'm going through a very difficult period in my life right now, and hearing about your situation really puts life into a different perspective. I wish you the best of luck, keep your head up, and hope for the best!
    "Rounding Third and Heading for Home"

Turn Off Ads?