Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should J. Burton Start?

Should J. Burton Start?

Assume that Arroyo or possibly Harang gets moved in a deal. Also assume that Roenicke comes up to bolster the pen. Should the Reds convert Burton to a starter?

He's already shown he can get MLB hitters out. He is able to pitch multi-innings in relief and has done so effectively. Wouldn't he have more value as a starting pitcher? Could he effectively become a starter.

I'd vote for it. Would anyone else?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should J. Burton Start?

Yes if he has the makeup mentally and physically to be stretched out without hurting him, I was wondering about Affeldt too since he has gotten into the season now and far away from that spring training. Burton of course appears to be the better pitcher.

I don't think that they can be sure of any of their pitchers that we assume might be here next year, because they might regress or struggle like, well what we have seen in the rest this year, trying to find new avenues like your suggestion or others to prepare now for next year makes sense to me and foresighted sense.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 06-20-2008 at 12:14 AM.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Wouldn't this be the textbook definition of robbing Peter to pay Paul?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Wouldn't this be the textbook definition of robbing Peter to pay Paul?
    Could be, with the one point that a solid starter found could be beneficial with the thought that Jocketty could find other relievers. I only see one good starter on the Reds this year, and that is Volquez, the rest we say the right things about, but there are no guarantees for next year on any Reds pitchers, I know, there are never any guarantees, but, I think you understand that I am talking about preparation to avoid past problems in the future if possible.

I kind of like KC's idea, thinking out of the box and not afraid of risk taking.

Senor Votto

I'd rather see him in the set-up roll for now until Cordero's contract is up or he gets traded then I'd like to see him in the closer's roll.

In 1 word, no.

Reminds me of Jimbo throwing relievers into the rotation almost every year.

No.
    Go Gators!

Danny Graves says no

Absolutely not. It's not easy to just turn a reliever into a starter. Burton is fine where he's at.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    In 1 word, no.
    In one word and an acronym,

OMG, no.

"This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I understand where kc61 is coming from but I think there's a lot more risk than reward here. OBM is correct, its not easy taking an established reliever who has prepared and predicated his career on relief work and converting him into a starter. For one thing, the workout and throwing routines are very different, especially for short relievers. If it's to be attempted it should be during the winter and next ST where Jared can begin from scratch preparing himself for the new role. During the season its easier to go from starting to relieving than vice versa. Plus, Burton's value is high where he is and as CE said this is robbing Peter to pay Paul. It isn't easy to find GOOD relievers although I agree average relievers are a dime a dozen. Burton could be very, very good and that makes him a high value pitcher right where he is. The Reds need to stop filling holes by creating new ones and they already need at least 2 more quality relievers as well as a couple starters. Moving Burton to a new role just creates another hole in a different spot.

I think Jared Burton has a shot to be the man here soon, regardless of Coco Cordero's big contract.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Sounds like a Billy McCool, approach to the pitching problem.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

I would imagine he was one at one point in the minors (15 starts out of 162 appearences, just looked it up) and then was moved to the bullpen. His last start was at Medesto in A+ in 2004, so I will go with no.

Turn Off Ads?