Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Question re: draft compensation

Question re: draft compensation

Here are the rules for free agent draft compensation:

A club may receive draft-pick compensation if it loses a free agent if:

(1) the player signs with another club before December 2; or

(2) the club offered arbitration to the free agent but failed to re-sign him.

Free agent compensation is based on the free agent’s place in the Elias Sports Bureau’s ranking of all major league players by position based on their performance during the last two seasons. Players are ranked by league in one of five positional groups: 1) 1B/DH/OF, 2) 2B/SS/3B, 3) catchers, 4) starting pitchers or 5) relief pitchers. The statistical criteria vary by position, and are not made available to anyone outsideof Major League Baseball.

Type A players are those who rank statistically in the top 20 percent at their position. Compensation for a Type A player is the signing club’s first-round draft pick and a supplemental pick between the first and second rounds.

Type B players are those who rank between the top 21 and 40 percent. Compensation for a Type B player is a supplemental pick between the first and second rounds.

If a team loses a free agent who is statistically in the bottom 60% of all players at his position, the former team does not get any compensation.

OK--so what players would yield the Reds compensation and at what level?
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Question re: draft compensation

I don't have a list of impending free agents, but Dunn appears to be the only one likely to net any type of compensation simply because he is the only one they would dare offer arbitration. He will probably be a type 'A' free agent.

Those 'rules' don't look quite complete.
    - A team picking early enough won't 1st round pick by signing a type 'A' free agent
    - A team signing 2 type 'A' free agents obviously can't lose 2 first round picks
    Last edited by puca; 06-20-2008 at 08:07 AM.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

If a team signs Corey Patterson we have to give them one of our picks.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    I don't have a list of impending free agents, but Dunn appears to be the only one likely to net any type of compensation simply because he is the only one they would dare offer arbitration. He will probably be a type 'A' free agent.

Those 'rules' don't look quite complete.
    - A team picking early enough won't 1st round pick by signing a type 'A' free agent
    - A team signing 2 type 'A' free agents obviously can't lose 2 first round picks
    If Weathers has a sub 4 era at the end of the season and refused arbitration (doubtful) wouldn't he give us a sandwich pick? I would have to believe he's a possible type B. But that's still some "if's".
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    If Weathers has a sub 4 era at the end of the season and refused arbitration (doubtful) wouldn't he give us a sandwich pick? I would have to believe he's a possible type B. But that's still some "if's".
    It would be dangerous to offer Weathers arbitration unless you were fully prepared for him to accept it.

Because odds are he would.

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    It would be dangerous to offer Weathers arbitration unless you were fully prepared for him to accept it.

Because odds are he would.
    Yeah I know, I would fully expect him to be dealt instead just to avoid that very scenario.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?