Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thompson officially named Saturday's starter

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Thompson officially named Saturday's starter

The Reds are expected to recall from Class AAA Louisville RHP Daryl Thompson (#53) to start tomorrow's game...he will make his Major League debut...Thompson, 22, began the season in the minor leagues and in 14 starts at Class AA Chattanooga and Class AAA Louisville combined to go 6-2, 2.22...prior to this season he never had pitched above Class A...he will join a starting rotation that already includes 24-year-old RHP Edinson Volquez and 22-year-old Johnny Cueto...he replaces in the rotation 22-year-old RHP Homer Bailey.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Thompson officially named Saturday's starter

I don't like it. It's a bum rush job.

hope it works.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post

hope it works.
    Same here.

First major league start in his career, on the road, in the friendly confines of Yankee Stadium. Couldn't have asked for it any better.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

hope it works.
    It beats watching Bailey, Belisle, Fogg or another mess. At least I can root for a rookie in his debut.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

hope it works.
    Thoroughly agree.

Just because other teams call up their farm hands to get their initial ML start vs the Reds... and shut us down to boot.... doesn't mean it's a sound move for the Reds.

It should not be about trying to find answers to somehow salvage the '08 season. Not at the risk of screwing up another young arm. I mean after all.... if many think our system has screwed up Homer Bailey, then why would they get behind or trust this move?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Thoroughly agree.

Just because other teams call up their farm hands to get their initial ML start vs the Reds... and shut us down to boot.... doesn't mean it's a sound move for the Reds.

It should not be about trying to find answers to somehow salvage the '08 season. Not at the risk of screwing up another young arm. I mean after all.... if many think our system has screwed up Homer Bailey, then why would they get behind or trust this move?
    He hasn't had the Dick Pole treatment yet. Wait a month and then see if he has lost velocity or been made a less effective pitcher

He has a quality arm and from what I saw in ST had decent command of his pitches(unlike Homer). Most teams would love to have a potential option like Thompson.

Shoulda waited till the Reds play the Nats.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    He has a quality arm and from what I saw in ST had decent command of his pitches(unlike Homer). Most teams would love to have a potential option like Thompson.
    I agree.

Bringing up Thompson is pretty much similiar to starting Cueto out of Spring Training.

I think that's worked OK.

In general, I'm a fan of aggressively promoting pitchers, provided they are truly ready and not overused. Thompson has been effective at every level, maintaining his control, and keeping K rate up. My biggest concern though is his HR rate. He gave up 19 HR in 105 IP in Sarasota, a difficult task to say the least. However, he's given up just 6 in 80 IP so far this year.

In any case, it seems like he's going to be ready sooner rather than later, so burning the option isn't a concern. Bailey clearly isn't ready, Fogg and Belisle are showing that they have #5 starter upside, and Maloney looks like a young LH Fogg.

There's something to be said for simply exposing yourself to the possibility of the unexpected surprise. How will Thompson do, who knows? But at least we'll get to find out.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Definitely not coddling thy pitchers.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

September's a nice quiet time to break in. June's when you look to see if someone can lift you back into the race (you know, like Homer last year, and this year...) There's pressure for you.

supposedly he's remarkably poised, though I've never seen him. That'll help.

I'm excited to see him pitch. Supposedly he can hit 94 with his FB while his curve comes in at 74. That and he's got command. I don't expect him to go all Cueto on us and carry a perfect game into the 6th (with about 487 strikeouts), but he could very well have a good outing, even against a tough lineup in a tough environment.

To be honest, I'm expecting a 6 IP, 3 ER, 4 K, 2 BB performance on Saturday.
    Last edited by Screwball; 06-20-2008 at 11:28 AM.

From BA's profile of Thompson earlier in the season:

BA: As you progress in your development, is there anything specific that the coaching staff here in Chattanooga or that the Reds have told you to focus on as you try to take that next step forward?

DT: Yeah, they've talked to me. Sometimes I need to control myself on the mound—I get too excited and I rush myself to the plate. If I can just get control of myself on the mound and stop rushing to the plate, just take some time in between pitches but also keep the tempo going, then I can make a lot better pitches.
    If you can do it in the Bronx in your first major league start, you've got a little zen.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    The Reds are expected to recall from Class AAA Louisville RHP Daryl Thompson (#53) to start tomorrow's game...he will make his Major League debut...Thompson, 22, began the season in the minor leagues and in 14 starts at Class AA Chattanooga and Class AAA Louisville combined to go 6-2, 2.22...prior to this season he never had pitched above Class A...he will join a starting rotation that already includes 24-year-old RHP Edinson Volquez and 22-year-old Johnny Cueto...he replaces in the rotation 22-year-old RHP Homer Bailey.
    I hope that he brings his pitching coaches with him that have helped him achieve his successful year to date, either that or a pit bull. Look what happened to Harang, Arroyo and Cueto, bring the pit bull Daryl.

Turn Off Ads?