Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daryl Thompson to Start Saturday

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Daryl Thompson to Start Saturday

Per ORG thread - Matt700WLW.

FWIW, I am excited to see Thompson but I don't think this is the right time to see him.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Daryl Thompson to Start Saturday

Awesome, I'm going to be at that game. Should be exciting.

Good.

We're not going to the playoffs and people are still questioning this move. Why? The guy has a better head on him than Homer and from what we've heard, has better pitches too. As long as he gives us 5-6 innings, it's all good.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Hmmm, the Yankees probably won't have a good scouting report on him being a new pitcher just up from the minors so hopefully that actually works to our advantage this time unlike in the Dodgers series. I'm excited I get to see another rookie this season and if he can handle Yankee Stadium, he can almost handle anything. Good luck Daryl and I'll be rooting for you!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Marty and the Cowboy made a good point yesterday that making a start at Yankee Stadium won't be as big of a deal as making your MLB debut in itself. DT will be fine.

Dangit, happy for him, but I am going to see L-Ville all next week when they are in town, so I wont get to see him now

Teams don't ruin pitchers by bringing them up "too soon." They can ruin young pitchers by giving them a heavy and hard workload too soo and too youn. But if a pitcher is going to ever be a good pitcher, giving up 10 runs in 2 innings in a debut against the Yankees will not ruin him. A good pitcher is going to learn from his mistakes. Ala Volquez, yeah he was rushed, but hey he eventually learned and it helped him put it together.

Best of luck to Daryl, make ol' Wayne look like a genius with the infamous trade!

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Teams don't ruin pitchers by bringing them up "too soon." They can ruin young pitchers by giving them a heavy and hard workload too soo and too youn. But if a pitcher is going to ever be a good pitcher, giving up 10 runs in 2 innings in a debut against the Yankees will not ruin him. A good pitcher is going to learn from his mistakes. Ala Volquez, yeah he was rushed, but hey he eventually learned and it helped him put it together.

Best of luck to Daryl, make ol' Wayne look like a genius with the infamous trade!
    Couldn't agree more...look at Verlander (starting to turn around this year), the Braves, (Smoltz, Glavine) as examples that have worked out. I love Dusty's comparison to the staff now compared to the Braves when they first started out in the bigs.

Well, Daryl, we who are about to die salute you! Don't take the loss personally.

I'm not saying it's the most horrible move the franchise has ever made. I'd just rather have his first start in some friendlier confines.

Either way, I'm excited to see what he's got.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Congrats, Mike Harkey, on your big league call-up!

Mike Harkey...blast from the past...LOL

FWIW, DT looks nothing like Harkey.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Mike Harkey...blast from the past...LOL

FWIW, DT looks nothing like Harkey.

Nah, he doesn't. But Mike Harkey's name always pops into my mind when I think of young "phenom" pitchers rushed to the majors. Harkey's career didn't exactly pan out because of injuries, of course, but alas... he was rushed.

Weird thought: Isn't Hark still the NYY bullpen coach?
    Last edited by realreds1; 06-20-2008 at 12:57 PM.

I don't think this was a great move, but there's always the question of "why not?"....

Won't see him tonight here in Louisville, so hopefully I can see him tomorrow on TV.

Good luck!

Glad to see him get a chance. I hope he can cool the hot bats of the Yankees.

Turn Off Ads?