Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WOW... Welsh really laying into Votto in the 8th inning today

WOW... Welsh really laying into Votto in the 8th inning today

For not going to 2nd base... really let him have it for not knowing there was only 1 out... "might be a big deal to Jared Burton ... the manager ..."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: WOW... Welsh really laying into Votto in the 8th inning today

Welsh has been getting progressively more critical of this team... I'm impressed. I bet Georgie-boy's blood pressure starts going up when Chris starts acting "mean."

yeah, welsh has become much more critical this season, but it's much more entertaining to watch when everything isn't flowers and rainbows all the time.

One of my all time favorite lines for welsh that came again today is "it makes you curious, George"
    Last edited by mroby85; 06-21-2008 at 03:57 PM.

I think Welsh is just getting tired of watching a losing baseball team, when they are capable of winning

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    yeah, welsh has become much more critical this season, but it's much more entertaining to watch when everything isn't flowers and rainbows all the time.

One of my all time favorite lines for welsh that came again today is "it makes you curious, George"
    My Favorite comment as of late was the HOF one. "Chris, is any of your stuff in the HOF?" "No, but you can take my broadcast partner, George and put him in there any time you'd like"
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

It could be Thom's influence. I remember early last year Thom put Welsh on the hook for some better color work than he was giving. Maybe Welsh is realizing what his job could be rather than what it has been.

It could be that he's finally having the opportunity to watch his JTM commercials with Bronson. That;s enought to make anyone angry...

I think Welsh is a phony . Awhile back he was all over Homer fo giving up a HR to Pujols with first base open. But the next night when Manny hit an 0-2 pitch off of Harang off the wall, also with first open, Welsh never said a word. Easy to criticise Bailey, not so easy to criticise Harang.

I can't stand to listen to Welsh honestly. If a mistake is made, he will not shut up about it for the entire inning. For example an 0-2 homerun...I mean does he honestly think Harang intended to serve one up 0-2. Everyone knows it is a no no, so why does he feel the need to harp and harp on it to the point everyone watching is annoyed.

Not to mention, when say Joey Votto makes a nice play, you don't hear about it for the entire inning...at least make it a to way street.

Welsh is NOT a phony, he played the game, and has some very deep insight on what is going on, on the field. From time to time, I take in games with a guy who played in the Minors for a couple years, and what he sees vs. what the avg. fan can notice is light years in distance. I would expect a guy like Welsh, ---who made it to the Bigs, to be just as insightful if not more-so. If he could lose the goofy smile on camera, his credibility could increase.

Man.......this board is brutal on every baseball person, from managers, to players, to coaches, to management, to even the poor announcers.

I think the Reds have some of the best announcers in the game, from Marty, to Thom, to George Grande, to Welsh, and even Brantley.

This board is ridiculous.
    Who's on first?

i love welsh, i think he does a great job, when him and thom are on, it's like you're watching playoff baseball, they're that professional.

I'm starting to like Welsh, he use to be too Grande.

Count me in the camp that likes what Welsh brings to the table during games.

Brantley as well, for many of the same reasons. Cowboy sounds like Billy Bob Thorton, but I won't hold it against him.

Marty and George I could take or leave, honestly. Marty is far too bitter from having to watch the Reds for these past 15 years. And George is WAY too positive and upbeat, considering what the Reds have been for the past 15 years. I know that sounds like a contridiction on my part, but what I mean is, the extremes of bitterness and blind optimism are both bad, in my opinion.

Only thing I have against Thom is his fake, extra deep, "announcing voice." Yes yes I know thats what they teach you to do in radio and television, but his has always been a little annoying to me for some reason. He could take lessons from his old man here on being more subtle with it.

All in all, from the play by play guy to the color guy, I prefer that guys are knowledgeable and I think they come off best when they are just being themselves, telling us what is happening on the field, and what their take on it is.
    Last edited by Fon Duc Tow; 06-22-2008 at 09:58 AM.

Turn Off Ads?