Turn Off Ads?

Thread: BP & EE = Inconsistent, why?

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

BP & EE = Inconsistent, why?

I always feel alot better about players if I know that any flaws they have are fixable. I know that's not easily done as said however if you have a pretty good grasp on what's "ailing" a guys game so to speak you may look at him differently. I recently ran accross breakdowns of both of these guy's offensive game thanks to Slyde over at RedReporter.com. I don't know how many of you frequent that site but it's a good one. Anyhow here's links to both breakdowns.

BP's is pretty much just what we already know, he can't lay off that down and away breaking pitch/slider. But it's neat to look at his because they have a real nice batting zone graph which is quite telling.

http://www.redreporter.com/2008/5/29...don-phillips-s

Edwin's is very interesting and although not as clear cut brings up an extremely interesting question, which I will let people come to their own conclusion on. His doesn't have a graph but doesn't really need to, it does however include pitch fx data.

http://www.redreporter.com/2008/6/3/...in-swinging-at

Enjoy, I did!!!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BP & EE = Inconsistent, why?

Phillips is just too aggressive at the plate. And he loves to swing from his heels a lot. That adds up to disaster. Pitchers don't have to throw him strikes because they know he'll swing at pretty much anything. Sliders eat him up.

Both Phillips and EE are first pitch swingers to the uber-degree. They don't seem to use their head (sound approach) with men on.

It's not so much about running a pitcher's count up as much as it's depriving a batter of seeing more pitches and measuring a pitcher's repertoire as to what he has (throws). And that's also valuable info that can be passed on to your mates back in the dugout.

Phillips and EE look clueless in that batter's box a lot of times. Like they are guessing.

After the analysis of several Red players, I loved this comment from the author....

Do you see anything that concerns you or makes you want to strangle the manager with a fishing line?

Where Dunn bats comes to mind.

Not saying that he hasn't struggled; but the guy just isn't getting much of anything to hit with the lack of pitches he sees in the strike zone.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Re: BP & EE = Inconsistent, why?

Dunn could have already walked 100 times with the pitches he get's...maybe 1 strike per AB...and it's usually the 1st one and it's down the middle. I wish he would cross up the pitchers and swing at the first one but when he does he seems to be 50/50 in making contact of any kind. He has been missing some pitches ...fouling them back.

If Phillips and EE had his ....well at least half of his pitch work skill....they would be the RH Hitters this team could really need to have a 2005 type offense. EE was more patient earlier this year .....I also think someone needs to introduce him to RF and let him know he can hit the ball there.

Turn Off Ads?