Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keppinger headed to NY to re-join the Reds

Keppinger headed to NY to re-join the Reds

According to Fay:

Jeff Keppinger was not in the lineup for Louisville Saturday night. It's believed that he is headed to New York to join the Reds.

He was registered at the team hotel. Keppinger has been rehabbing from a broken left knee cap. He was hitting .500 for the Bats. The plan was for him to join the team next week in Cleveland at the earliest.

But the Reds are down to one shortstop after the Jolbert Cabrera went on the disabled list.
    http://beta.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Some good news on the SS front.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 06-22-2008 at 01:12 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Keppinger headed to NY to re-join the Reds

This is good news, but let's hope that rushing him back doesn't do any damage.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

But does that mean he's going to play? I know Patterson HAS to be in the lineup for the next week because he hit a home run, but I would like to see this tomorrow.

My wishful/somewhat realistic hope for a Dusty lineup.

Keppinger SS
    Bruce CF
    Griffey RF
    Phillips 2B
    Dunn LF
    Vottos 1B
    EE 3B
    Janish SS
    Ross C

What I would actually prefer:

Hopper CF
    Keppinger DH
    Bruce RF
    Phillips 2B
    Dunn LF
    Votto 1B
    Edwin 3B
    Janish SS
    Ross C

What we probably will see:

Patterson CF
    Bruce RF
    Junior DH
    Phillips 2B
    Dunn LF
    EE 3B
    Votto 1B
    Janish SS
    Ross C

I'm guessing he won't be playing SS tomorrow. He's probably just there in case of an emergency. I could see him being the DH tomorrow possibly, but I doubt he starts at SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    But does that mean he's going to play? I know Patterson HAS to be in the lineup for the next week because he hit a home run, but I would like to see this tomorrow.
    He may not be in the starting lineup tomorrow, but he was the starting SS before he was injured. I don't see any reason why he would not be the starting SS when he comes back. As for tomorrow, we will just have to wait and see. Of course, if he is still hurting a bit when he returns, it would be prudent to keep him out of the lineup a little bit longer.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 06-22-2008 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    He may not be in the starting lineup tomorrow, but he was the starting SS before he was injured. I don't see any reason why he would not be the starting SS when he comes back. As for tomorrow, we will just have to wait and see.
    I think he'll be in more of a reserve role until the medical staff deems him ready to play SS everyday. Or maybe he starts every other day?? I think the fact that the next 7 games are in AL parks (including a day off on Monday) with the DH role offers a lot of flexibility.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 06-22-2008 at 02:02 AM.

If he can DH at AAA he can DH in the MLB. I'm not sure Dusty will be able to understand that though.

Who gets moved out in order to open a roster spot?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Who gets moved out in order to open a roster spot?
    Nobody knows for sure, but it's speculated that it will be Andy Phillips.

Andy Pettitte is pitching. He's a lefty. I'd probably try this with Kepp at SS:

Hopper LF
    Keppinger SS
    Phillips 2B
    Votto 1B
    Dunn DH
    Encarnacion 3B
    Bruce RF
    Ross C
    Patterson CF

Not sure about Ross catching with Cueto on the mound. We may see Bako even against a lefty like Pettitte. Cueto is a fly ball guy. Kepp probably won't get much action at SS. Lefty hitter heavy Yankee line-up will pull toward 2B with a heavy dose of fly balls to the OF. Not loving Patterson in there, but the OF in Yankee Stadium is huge. A Hopper, Patterson, Bruce OF could run down any mistakes pretty well and Cueto needs some defensive support IMO. Dunn is really struggling and a lefty is on the mound. Maybe its a good spot for a day off. Otherwise, rest Griffey against the lefty (he can't hit them anymore) and let Dunn DH. Griffey has been hitting better lately, but Dunn is usually better against lefty pitchers.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I read that he is still having some soreness, and a lot of that, they felt, was due to not having the leg strength right now from the lay off.

I hope this is not a rush job due to need. You have to exercise caution with a knee injury and subsequent recovery. But I guess that's what a medical staff is for.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Good news is he can DH and get stronger and be an emergency fielder. Nice to have the bat in the line up. I'm not a DH guy, but very cool we have that the next week or so.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Fay can't even get through a little 2-inch story without making an error. "The Jolbert Cabrera." Fay is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Fay can't even get through a little 2-inch story without making an error. "The Jolbert Cabrera." Fay is terrible.
    The worst was reporting about Friday's game and talking about Volquez. He wrote:

Edinson Volquez went a long way toward earning a return trip to Yankee Stadium Friday night.
    I read it and wondered what he was talking about; was he suggesting the Reds might trade Volquez? After reading the story further, I realized he was referring to the All Star game (oh, now I get it!). Just now looking for the story on line, I saw the headline this way: Volquez makes All-Star case Edinson lights-out in the bright lights; Shuts down the powerful Yanks lineup.

I thought how did I miss the obvious cue from the headline. Well the printed edition had the second part on the front of the Sports page and the All Star mention on the inside continuation. No wonder I didn't get it.

If a baseball fan like me doesn't get the connection, how is the average reader supposed to understand? Fay is just awful as a writer.

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion of the return of Keppinger...
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I'm guessing CP won't be heading out if Keppinger is activated....after all, he can hit a home run....:

Turn Off Ads?