Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thompson's stuff

Thompson's stuff

is filthy, good fastball that moves and his changeup isnt as good as Volquez but not bad at all. Surprised me with his heater. I think he's here for good. Let Bako call the pitches throw your fastball and change and some curves in the dirt and make yourself a ton of money.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Thompson's stuff

His fastball has plus life on it. His changeup is also a very good pitch. He also throws a slow curveball that is an above average pitch though he barely threw it all today. He also mixed in a slider at times. Overall I was impressed with his stuff.

very good to hear that his fastball has good life -- that, and since the kid apparently has some moxie and secondary stuff, gives him a chance

they have to be mindful of his workload -- he's 22

Dusty handled him beautifully today, lifting him after 96 pitches.

And to think I was rushing home because I thought the game started at 7:10.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    And to think I was rushing home because I thought the game started at 7:10.
    That comes with old age.

Daryl Thompson did it up big in Manhattan in his major-league debut - no runs, four hits, four walks, two strikeouts over five innings.

Getting out of a base-loaded and no outs situation in the second and two-on and no outs situation in the third drove up his pitch count. And, of course, he didn’t get any run support and left with a 0-0 tie.

After he was gone, the Reds scored four unearned runs in the seventh and won, 6-0, their second straight in Yankee Stadium.

“I haven’t slept in three days, since I knew I was going to pitch in Yankee Stadium,” he said. “I woke up Saturday morning at 4:30 and didn’t get back to sleep. I haven’t eaten anything for 24 hours and except one little piece of sausage.”

But he certainly didn’t look intimidated, getting out of both messes without damage. He went mostly with 94-95 miles an hour fastballs and a change-up. Nothing else.

Like Edinson Volquez and Johnny Cueto, this kid is a keeper, another who has zoomed past Homer Bailey. If only they could find the right buttons on Bailey, they have the makings of a full-throttle pitching rotation for the next few years.

When Thompson had the bases loaded with no outs in the second, manager Dusty Baker visited the mound. Usually, when Dusty comes, the pitcher goes. Not this time. Dusty was merely delivering a message:

“Hey, man. Same game, different place (No, this wasn’t Toledo, Columbus or Pastucket). Take a couple of deep breaths, slow down. Take your time,” said Baker.

Thompson new he was letting the game speed up into fast-motion. “Even before Dlusty got out there, I was taking deep breaths,” said Thompson. “And his visit helped.”

He retired the next three with no damage and Yankee third baseman A-Rod said, “I don’t know what Dusty told him, maybe magic.”

Pure magic this day, pure magic.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con...incinnatireds/

Daryl Thompson did it up big in Manhattan in his major-league debut - no runs, four hits, four walks, two strikeouts over five innings.
    He did an awesome job... in the Bronx, not Manhattan.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

After reading that I am glad that Thompson got this one out of his system, coming out with a lot of positives and I think we can looked forward to Thompson pitching his next games.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 06-21-2008 at 06:59 PM. Reason: "he next games", slapping myself up side the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    That comes with old age.
    nah. I thought it did too. Sad I missed it!
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

I'm liking the trade more and more. For awhile I thought We'd see Thompson, Bray and Magic to finish it up. LOL

Love his stuff and his command will be even better next start.

now get some sleep, kid, and eat something

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1 View Post
    I'm liking the trade more and more. For awhile I thought We'd see Thompson, Bray and Magic to finish it up. LOL

Love his stuff and his command will be even better next start.
    Now wouldn't that have been ironic.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Thompson impressive in Reds debut
    Cincinnati's 22-year-old fires a shutout in New York, allowing just four hits in his five innings.

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Saturday, June 21, 2008

NEW YORK — Daryl Thompson might think it was a form of rookie hazing, his teammates not scoring runs in his major-league debut. But that isn't the case.

The Cincinnati Reds seldom score runs for anybody, treating home plate like Mount Everest or the South Pole — a place difficult to reach.

The 22-year-old Thompson, pitching in Yankee Stadium on Saturday, June 21, didn't listen to the Ghost Whisperers of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle.

Thompson held the Yankees to no runs and four hits (four walks, two strikeouts) over his five innings, but his offensive buddies scored zero off a 31-year-old journeyman named Dan Giese, making his first major-league start, for six innings.

For the Reds, though, all's well that ends well. They scored four unearned runs in the seventh inning and two runs in the eighth to win their second straight over the Yankees, 6-0.

The Reds never put together a threat for six innings, getting two hits.

They put two on with no outs in the seventh and nearly didn't score. But with two outs and first base open, the Yankees chose to pitch to Edwin Encarnacion with Corey Patterson on deck.

With two strikes, Encarnacion pulled a two-run single to left field. The Yankees replaced Giese with Jose Veras, and Patterson crushed his 100th career home run to make it 4-0.

Ken Griffey Jr. put on a deke on Yankee third baseman Alex Rodriguez during the four-run inning to make any wide receiver proud.

Had Griffey not done it, the inning would have ended with no runs.

Griffey was on second base and Brandon Phillips on first with no outs when Joey Votto grounded to third. A-Rod lunged to tag Griffey but missed when Griffey scrambled away from the tag. A-Rod threw Votto out at first, but didn't get Griffey for the double play.

After Adam Dunn struck out for what would have been the third out, Encarnacion banged his two-run single.

"That's from having two kids and playing football with them in the backyard," said Griffey. "And it's good footwork from having a 6-year-old running all over the house."

Phillips ripped a two-run single in the eighth, while Bill Bray, David Weathers, Jared Burton and Jeremy Affeldt finished off the seven-hit shutout.

It was an amazing outing for a kid who said he hasn't slept for three days, "Since hearing I was going to pitch in Yankee Stadium, I had nothing to eat for 24 hours but one little piece of sausage, and I woke up at 4:30 this morning and couldn't go back to sleep."

Thompson left an impression on Reds manager Dusty Baker.

"He was overthrowing in the beginning, a little over-excited," said Baker. "But he showed good velocity (94-95 mph). A young man like that, barely out of Double-A, first start in Yankee Stadium. Man, he had stuff and he went right at guys."

Thompson put runners on base every inning, but was better than criminal escape artist Willie Sutton at wiggling free.

Thompson's best was in the second when the Yankees filled the bases with no outs but didn't score because Thompson struck out Jorge Posada, popped up Robinson Cano and struck out Melky Cabrera.

With no outs and the bases full, Baker walked to the mound and said, "Hey, man, it's the same game, different place. Take a couple of deep breaths. Slow down."

Second best was the third when the Yankees put two on with no outs, but Thompson got fly balls from Bobby Abreu, A-Rod and Hideki Matsui.

"I stuck with a fastball-changeup all day," said Thompson. "Getting out of that second inning, bases loaded, no outs, boosted me way up, especially against the Yankees. I tried not to give in, no matter who was in the box."

It wasn't Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio or Mantle, but aren't A-Rod and Derek Jeter enough for a 22-year-old?

Griffey, whose father played for the Yankees in Yankee Stadium while he roamed the park, the mystique was nothing.

When asked how nice it is to win two straight from the almighty Yankees, he calmly said, "It's good to win two in a row from anybody."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...spredsweb.html

I posted this in another thread, but will do the same here...

Thompson had a fine fine debut. He obviously wasn't pitch efficient, but that's okay. The mistake he made with not covering 1B was unfortunate, but since it was his debut, you cut him some slack there and hope it doesn't happen again. He did walk a few too many batters, but I'm sure he was nervous and overthrowing some. It'll be interesting to see how his next outing, which should be a lower stress situation, goes.

He, like Volquez, showed a real ability to exert damage control. He's got the right makeup to be successful. I loved the instincts of going to 2B to get the double play early in the game. And of course...the bases loaded, 0 outs, Yankee Stadium, your MLB debut at 22? And you get strike out (from Posada), pop out behind home plate and another strikeout? WOW! Those were his only 2 Ks for the day, but what it shows me is that he has the ability to get that big K when he needs it. The Yankees fans were absolutely irate when that happened. It was nice to see the Reds on the opposiding side of one of those frustrating situations. It also speaks to his mental toughness. Should go a long way with this kid. Reds.com said he hit 96. I didn't see that, but I saw him hit 95 on the gun. He was regularly hitting 93-94. Anyway, for a debut, a great effort.

Turn Off Ads?