Turn Off Ads?

Thread: New York

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

New York

I just delivered in Manhattan. I probably won't find a load out until Monday. How many other folks might be in the area this weekend? I'm thinking about going over to the try to get a ticket in the afternoon. I didn't buy one in advance because I didn't know I was going to be here this weekend.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New York

Well, I overslept this morning and didn't make it to the game. I drove most of the night to get here, so I guess it was excused. Anyway, I'm sitting over here in New Jersey at a service plaza on the turnpike and I want to make it over to the Bronx tomorrow to take a shot at grabbing a ticket. I don't want to drive over there because there's just not a lot of parking for a van this size. Anyone a little more experienced with the public transit here who can offer me a pointer? I was figuring on a bus from Jersey and the subway to the Stadium, unless there's a better option.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I was figuring on a bus from Jersey and the subway to the Stadium, unless there's a better option.
    You can do that, or take the train from Newark or the Secaucus Junction to the city and take the subway to the stadium.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

With all your parking concerns. Maybe you can carry a scooter on your truck and get around that way? Maybe just a bike for the exercise?

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    With all your parking concerns. Maybe you can carry a scooter on your truck and get around that way? Maybe just a bike for the exercise?
    Kind of like a truck dinghy?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    You can do that, or take the train from Newark or the Secaucus Junction to the city and take the subway to the stadium.
    That's kind of what I ended up doing. There was a train station close to where I was parked, so I drove over there and left the van there for the day. One train to Penn Station and then a couple subways to the ballpark. I came back and wandered around Times Square for a while after the game, then grabbed a bite to eat and came back to Jersey. I'm back at the service plaza getting ready to crawl into my sleeper and pack it in for the night. It was a pretty enjoyable day, even if the Reds did lose. I was surrounded by Yankee fans where I was sitting, but they were the good kind of fan, not the beer sodden jerks you see at a lot of parks. Maybe I got lucky. I had pleasant baseball conversations with my neighbors, who also stood up and applauded Jr. when he hit the homer. That was nice to see. One of the Yankee fans said he had been to GABP last year and really liked it, said it was a nice park with good views of the field and he plans to go again when he's next in Cincinnati. I took a lot of photos and I might post some of them like I've been doing from the other parks I've been attending.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

I just got back. We stayed in New Jersey, and went across the GW bridge. Waiting to pay the toll took awhile, but it was great after that.

I went with my family. My uncle got us the tickets. I think we had the greatest seats in the house. The box we were in was the first row behind the Yankees dugout. I was amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I just got back. We stayed in New Jersey, and went across the GW bridge. Waiting to pay the toll took awhile, but it was great after that.

I went with my family. My uncle got us the tickets. I think we had the greatest seats in the house. The box we were in was the first row behind the Yankees dugout. I was amazed.
    Sounds like nice seats. Where you staying in Jersey? I hope it's nicer than the Thomas Edison service plaza on the turnpike.

The only problem with the GW is that the tolls are higher for commercial vehicles and they've been doing construction on the bridge for a while now. I've sat in some long lines on that bridge lately. A couple weeks ago it took me an hour to get from Newark to the Bronx and I was on an urgent run up to New Haven.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Sounds like nice seats. Where you staying in Jersey? I hope it's nicer than the Thomas Edison service plaza on the turnpike.

The only problem with the GW is that the tolls are higher for commercial vehicles and they've been doing construction on the bridge for a while now. I've sat in some long lines on that bridge lately. A couple weeks ago it took me an hour to get from Newark to the Bronx and I was on an urgent run up to New Haven.
    I was staying at the Holiday Inn. It was somewhere down the highway, but I don't know which town.

The bottom of the GW is bad, but I was with a couple of seasoned New Yorkers, so that was avoided. It probably took 30-40 minutes to get through the tolls though.

30-40 mins is good - you can be waiting for an hour or more some days.

The GW is probably the best crossing given where you were staying but in any case transport to Yankee Stadium is not the best. For some reason the Mets have a better transport corridor.

I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier, because I had an extra ticket for Sunday that I ended up just giving away out side the stadium, and it was in the Reds' section in the LL behind home plate. Good group of folks to enjoy the game with...despite the loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier, because I had an extra ticket for Sunday that I ended up just giving away out side the stadium, and it was in the Reds' section in the LL behind home plate. Good group of folks to enjoy the game with...despite the loss.
    I wish you had seen this earlier too. Would have saved me a little cash and probably been a much better seat. Oh well.

Turn Off Ads?