Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neftali Soto

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Neftali Soto

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    JMO here.

Canada has a very established school system. Their culture is more closely tied to ours. They are seen as more equal, with it's citizens having the same opportunities as those in the U.S.

Not so much in the DR, Venezuela etc. Japan has it's own system that prevents kids from joining MLB.

MLB really, really needs to add the world to the draft. plain and simple. make it fair.
    I think you're probably on the money with your opinion.

Oh, and just so we don't get off topic, Nefi Soto can rake.

2. Turn Off Ads?

PROSPECT OF THE DAY

For the second time in a week, Neftali Soto (Reds) claims POTD honors. Soto has been the most impressive performer thus far in the Pioneer League and added to his resume with a 3-for-4 day on Sunday, including a pair of doubles. Soto, who the Reds drafted as a shortstop in 2007 has always been considered a prospect who would move to a different position as he matured because of his size and has made all his starts in Billings at either third base or DH.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?paged=3

Soto is crushing the ball again. Last night he went 2-for-3 with two doubles and a walk. He's got four doubles in the past two games and nine on the season. He's now hitting .379/.419/.776 - 1.195 OPS with 14 extra-base hits in 58 atbats. Not bad for a 19-year old.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Soto is crushing the ball again. Last night he went 2-for-3 with two doubles and a walk. He's got four doubles in the past two games and nine on the season. He's now hitting .379/.419/.776 - 1.195 OPS with 14 extra-base hits in 58 atbats. Not bad for a 19-year old.
    Princeton will be pleased.

How much longer do you keep this guy in Billings? I would like to see him in Sarasota this season. It may be a little lofty but the guy has hit and hasnt stopped since he was drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    How much longer do you keep this guy in Billings? I would like to see him in Sarasota this season. It may be a little lofty but the guy has hit and hasnt stopped since he was drafted.
    If anything happens, I suspect they'll bump Waring up to Sarasota, and then move Soto to Dayton for the remainder of the year.

Soto has been playing 3rd, I'm assuming?

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    If anything happens, I suspect they'll bump Waring up to Sarasota, and then move Soto to Dayton for the remainder of the year.

Soto has been playing 3rd, I'm assuming?
    Then what happens to Juan Francisco? Francisco and Waring are both the type of guys who you want to get as many at-bats as possible, in my opinion. Personally, I'd be tempted to move Waring to first base.

Forgot about Francisco. I guess we have a logjam at 3rd, especially if Frazier is considered a 3rd baseman too. Rosales is primarily playing 3rd too, correct?

Rosales has played half his games at third and the other half scattered around the infield. I think the Reds see him as kind of a Rich Aurilia-type.

I would move Soto to outfield and let him play in Dayton...

I think Soto is the most athletic of Francisco, Waring, himself...

Right now we also have Frazier that seems to be in the same mold as these 4 as well...

Then hopefully when Alonso signs you have him in the mold as well, with Votto and EE in the majors...

Lots of corner infield/LF type prospects that can hit, and not overly athletic...Will be interesting to see if we start moving any of them in the coming year or so...

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Then what happens to Juan Francisco? Francisco and Waring are both the type of guys who you want to get as many at-bats as possible, in my opinion. Personally, I'd be tempted to move Waring to first base.
    That may end up being a really good idea, good call. It's fairly obvious he's no 3B.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    That may end up being a really good idea, good call. It's fairly obvious he's no 3B.
    I just hate seeing someone like Jason Louwsma or Mike McKennon (nothing against them personally, but they probably doesn't have quite the upside of Waring) taking away at-bats from someone with a better bat who may end up at first base eventually anyway.

The only thing about moving Francisco over to first is you are basically taking away that cannon he was born with.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    The only thing about moving Francisco over to first is you are basically taking away that cannon he was born with.
    I think he meant Waring not Francisco. Francisco could become a good RF possibly, except he would be blocked there at the Major League level.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I think he meant Waring not Francisco. Francisco could become a good RF possibly, except he would be blocked there at the Major League level.
    I did. I agree completely on trying to take advantage of his arm. If his horrible plate discipline stops him from ever being a successful hitter, maybe he should try his luck as a pitcher?

Turn Off Ads?