Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red's minor league prospects not making a very good showing

Red's minor league prospects not making a very good showing

Now that Bruce and Votto are up in the majors, Thompson came up and made a good showing.......and Homer has exposed himself as a bit overhyped.........what is left in the minors?

Frazier? Jukich?

If Thompson sticks with the mlb club, does Jukich move up to triple A?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Red's minor league prospects not making a very good showing

Josh Roenicke (AAA), Danny Herrera (AAA), Matt Maloney (AAA), Chris Valaika (AA), Jukich (AA), Juan Francisco (A+), Frazier (A+), Yonder Alonso (A+ when he signs), Devin Mesoraco (A-), Kyle Lotzkar (A-), Zach Stewart (A-), Neftali Soto (Rookie +).

There are more, but those are some of the guys I've been keeping a close eye on lately.

Chatter, I don't understand the title of this thread. Are you saying the minor leaguers the Reds have called up have not made a very good showing? Because, if so, I hugely disagree. Cueto, Bruce, Votto have been been as advertised. Thompson just had a nice first start. That leaves Bailey, who for whatever reason has regressed. Pretty darn fine showings from where I am sitting.

And, as blitz points out, there is genuine talent coursing through this system, and guys on the way that are going to help someone. I would have included Drew Stubbs, Travis Wood, Brandon Waring, and Sam Lecure on Blitz's list as well. Shaun Cumberland too, for that matter. The Montano pitcher in Dayton (Cordero's cousin) is intriguing as well. Sean Watson is worth watching too.

The youth on the major league team and talent throughout the minors are THE reason to be happy about this team, in my opinion.
    Last edited by membengal; 06-22-2008 at 09:56 AM.

Man I was and am baffled by the title of this thread. I thought at first it referred to bad starts by new draftees and I was going to disagree. Now I'm still going to disagree but on even broader terms.

Look at Todd Frazier's numbers. His numbers are better than Votto's minor league totals though similar across the board, he beats Joey's numbers by a small margin in nearly every category. Frazier is as close to a lock as a hitter as you can find short of Jay Bruce.

Ben Jukich has little left to prove except to just continue pitching like he has. He'll soon be in AAA.

Josh Roenicke is the best and closest to the majors of a bunch of strong arm relievers and new draftee Zach Stewart may be pushing him for that title. Both are major league caliber arms - and GOOD caliber, too, I'm not talking mid relief filler. Closer stuff.

If you want a mega star with lots of press then Alonso will fill that bill when he gets signed.

Devin Mesaraco is a way off but his bat is looking good in a league where he's under aged and should have been a bit over matched. He probably is actually, a bit, but his talent is overcoming his lack of experience and he'll keep getting better.

That's just scratching the surface. Read the threads in this forum - there are tons of good prospects in the Reds system.

I agree with what folks have said, but I'd even question the statement that Homer's been overhyped. Clearly he's shown some ability in the minors, and we can argue about whether he's been rushed, etc, but even though he's still not ready for, we can't forget he's still just 22 years old. He may never pan out, but it's also possible he can have an epiphany much like Edinson Volquez did and come back. Volquez at 22, went 1-6 for Texas. I can't say it's a given that Bailey will ever succeed, but he's not a washout yet.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Chatter, I don't understand the title of this thread.
    I don't either, but it got me to look. Especially since the opposite seems true to me.

I went through most of the major league teams minor league players last night AAA and AA, just playing, hoping to find a what if, what if Jocketty might trade for young player x or y from another team to meet the Reds needs, most of the players on other teams minor leagues rosters did not look as good as what the Reds had in their system before the callups to me.

At least it helped me to see why many of you have praised the Reds minor leagues even more.

Not talking about those who have moved up to the majors. I've been following our remaining minor leaguers, and not many are standing out at this point, IMHO.

I like Frazier. I like Soto (rookie ball). Maloney looked to be making strides and has regressed lately. I like Jukich, but not so sure he will make it to the Bigs.

Drew Stubbs will never make it to the Bigs. Count on it. Another overhyped player.

I liked Waring, but he is striking out at a ridiculous clip.

I do like Herrera. Nice pickup. Not so sure about Roenicke's control.

It just seems like the best has moved up, and there's not much ready behind them.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Drew Stubbs will never make it to the Bigs. Count on it. Another overhyped player.
    Never? Thats a pretty strong statement for a player who has gotten better with every level he has taken.

Not talking about those who have moved up to the majors. I've been following our remaining minor leaguers, and not many are standing out at this point, IMHO.

I like Frazier. I like Soto (rookie ball). Maloney looked to be making strides and has regressed lately. I like Jukich, but not so sure he will make it to the Bigs.

It just seems like the best has moved up, and there's not much ready behind them.
    I'm glad you have a crystal ball (re: Stubbs). Can you give me the winning Powerball numbers for next week?

It'd be amazing to have superior depth at every minor league affiliate. Thing is, there are maybe 5-7 teams in all of baseball that have extreme depth while having a great team at the MLB level. Given all the recent promotions, I think the Reds are still pretty well positioned. Especially when you consider that the Reds had a pretty good draft this year. Within a year, the Reds farm system will be ranked highly again I believe.

Ridiculous. The farm system remains as deep as it has been in 15 years. It will again be a top 10 ranked system.

its true the reds have graduated a lot of top talent, and that the system will take an overall "hit" in the rankings because of this. But thats not a bad thing. It means we actually graduated some talent - which has proven difficult for the Reds in the past.

Still, I see a lot of things to be excited about. They may not have as many players in the tier of Bruce/Votto/Cueto..

But Frazier, Waring, Valaika, Stubbs, Mesoraco, Soto, Roenicke, Wood, Maloney, Jukich, potentially Alonso, at al. gives me plenty of things to be excited about. The depth is still exponentially better than it has been in years. Its just a bit thinner at the top now due to the promotions. No big deal. The farm is still in good shape.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Drew Stubbs will never make it to the Bigs. Count on it.
    I would wager everything I own to take this bet. Now, as far as him being a success in the Bigs . . . my wager would become much smaller.

Atleast I have the cahunas to go out on a limb and state my opinion.

So what if I have strong opinions. So many on here don't have the guts to make predictions.

We may have talent in the minors, but the point of my post is that our minor league system won't be supplying any major leaguers for a couple of more seasons at this point. Most of the talent is in A-ball, either high or low. I just don't see Jukich being ready anytime soon, AND I LIKE JUKICH ALOT. I would love for him to be in the mix of coming to the majors, but I still think he has a long way to go.

I think alot of people on this board think we can unload Dunn and Griffey (which I'd love to do) and re-stock from our farm system. AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN right now.

We will have to go the free agency route. Nobody in the minors is ready to replace those guys.

As of this year, Dunn and Griffey or not, we ain't scoring runs in most games. When we do, it is a 12 run blowout, thats where the decent stats come from.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

So what if I have strong opinions. So many on here don't have the guts to make predictions.
    You're a real breath of fresh air.

We will have to go the free agency route. Nobody in the minors is ready to replace those guys.
    Was that the point of this thread? Why not just say so rather than fishing?

Free agency is a moot point. They're going to set a salary figure and Jocketty's going to spend every dime available, regardless of what the farm system provides.

Turn Off Ads?