Turn Off Ads?

Thread: MLB Players Vote Jeter "Most Overrated"

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

MLB Players Vote Jeter "Most Overrated"

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2008/...5041214165296/

Report: Derek Jeter 'overrated'

NEW YORK, June 22 (UPI) -- His peers say New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter is Major League Baseball's most overrated player, a report said.

The New York Post leaked details Sunday of a poll that will appear when the latest edition of Sports Illustrated is released Monday.

"I ain't talking about that," Jeter told reporters this weekend. "You guys can have fun with it."

Nearly 500 current major league players responded to SI's survey and Jeter was at the top of the list among 10 percent of the game's most overrated players, followed by teammate and third baseman Alex Rodriguez, who was tied with Boston right-fielder J.D. Drew for second place.

Heading into Sunday's contest against the Cincinnati Reds, Jeter was batting .278 with four home runs and 32 RBI in 69 games this season.
    Elias Sports Bureau figures show that his .600 winning percentage is the best among all players who have appeared in a minimum of 1,000 games.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB Players Vote Jeter "Most Overrated"

Elias Sports Bureau figures show that his .600 winning percentage is the best among all players who have appeared in a minimum of 1,000 games.
    I didn't know Derek Jeter was the only player on his team!

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Does this make Jeter underrated?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by Rounding Third View Post
    I didn't know Derek Jeter was the only player on his team!
    Posada is the only position playing Yankee who has been with the team for this long. And with this, I imagine they are basing the winning percentage based on the games the player has appeared in - so that figure would be correct.
    If I am not mistaken, Chris and George said the same study showed that, of all players in the majors, the other players wanted Jeter as a teammate the most.

People can say what they want about Jeter, but I would take him any day of the week. He has been one of the best all around players for the last 10-12 years.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    Posada is the only position playing Yankee who has been with the team for this long. And with this, I imagine they are basing the winning percentage based on the games the player has appeared in - so that figure would be correct.
    If I am not mistaken, Chris and George said the same study showed that, of all players in the majors, the other players wanted Jeter as a teammate the most.
    I'm not disputing the fact that he has been on a team that has had a .600 winning percentage.

I would love to have Jeter as well on my team.

Jeter's defense is overrated. No doubt about that. But, he is a great hitter. He's not having the best season thus far offensively, but he is a great hitter.

Entering the 2008 season, Jeter had earned $140 million over his baseball career, just from the Yankees. Endorsement $ is on top of that.

6 trips to the WS, 4 times a WS champ.

He's also reportedly been, um, friends with Jessica Alba, Tyra Banks, a Miss Universe, and a pre-meltdown Mariah Carey, to name but a few.

Overrated?

Sounds like most of MLB is simply jealous.

Any survery that has A-Rod as #2 on the list loses all credibility. No way is A-Rod under-rated.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Eventually, everyone's either so overrated that he's underrated or so underrated that he's overrated, and there's nothing left in between.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Harang voted the most underrated pitcher by players.

* You may remember the "controversy" of Sports Illustrated's poll of players that had Derek Jeter as the most overrated player in baseball. I got this week's issue in the mail and it had the most underrated. While Placido Palanco took the top spot in voting done by big league players (and a pretty good pick there), Aaron Harang got the most votes of any pitcher, getting 3.5% of the vote, the only pitcher to get more than 1%.

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Entering the 2008 season, Jeter had earned $140 million over his baseball career, just from the Yankees. Endorsement $ is on top of that.

6 trips to the WS, 4 times a WS champ.

He's also reportedly been, um, friends with Jessica Alba, Tyra Banks, a Miss Universe, and a pre-meltdown Mariah Carey, to name but a few.

Overrated?

Sounds like most of MLB is simply jealous.
    You sorta proved their point. Most of that extra crap that gets him publicity is simply because he has been a yankee for so long. If he was on the Reds that whole time he might be a hometown favorite, but not much beyond that. His world series wins cant be attributed directly to him at all - it is because hs a yankee.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

He is overrated. Good vote.

Turn Off Ads?