Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, the Blue Jays won't be getting Adam Dunn...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Well, the Blue Jays won't be getting Adam Dunn...

mlbtraderumors.com

Ricciardi Doesn't Like Dunn

It certainly doesn't sound like the Blue Jays will be going after Adam Dunn while J.P. Ricciardi is at the helm. Check out this interview Ricciardi did with Mike Wilner of The Fan 590. http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?cont...9_000814_12348

First a fan calls up and asks Ricciardi whether the Jays have interest in Dunn. Ricciardi replies that he's not interested in Dunn. Then he says:

"Maybe we have more information and know the player a little more than the average fan."

Interesting. Another fan calls up and says he's surprised Ricciardi would be so quick to dismiss a power bat like Dunn. Ricciardi really goes off on Dunn this time:

"He's a lifetime .230-.240 hitter that strikes out a ton and hits home runs.
    Did you know the guy doesn't really like baseball that much? Did you know the guy doesn't have a passion to play the game that much? I don't think you'd be very happy if we brought Adam Dunn here...We've done our homework on guys like Adam Dunn and there's a reason why we don't want Adam Dunn."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Well, the Blue Jays won't be getting Adam Dunn...

Says the guy who cut Frank Thomas (.319/.417/.516 since) citing a need to improve the offense.

Adam Dunn isn't passionate about baseball. This isn't news. It doesn't make his production any less valuable.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Says the guy who cut Frank Thomas (.319/.417/.516 since) citing a need to improve the offense.

Adam Dunn isn't passionate about baseball. This isn't news. It doesn't make his production any less valuable.
    There was more behind the scenes with Thomas just like there is more behind the scenes with Dunn. Fans in general just get tidbits from the media. The soap opera that is Baseball is a full scale production most are not privy too.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

It does make him unlikely to improve. It does make it unlikely that he will age well. It also doesn't make him someone you want your younger players emulating. And if this means he doesn't study pitchers, it might explain why he is so often badly fooled.

I'm an Adam Dunn fan for the most part, but if you are going to invest big money and years in a ball player, you do look a little beyond their past production.

As far as I'm concerned, the more the market hates Dunn then the less likely the Reds will be able to trade him. It also means it's more likely the Reds will choose to extend Dunn long-term rather than letting him walk, especially if his price tag dips a bit.

That means people like me who like Dunn are happy while people who hate Dunn are unhappy.

It's win-win-win!
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    There was more behind the scenes with Thomas
    The Thomas situation was simple, they wanted off the hook for the option that was going to vest if they kept playing him ... had nothing to do with performance.

Ricciardi apparently didn't do the same research when he threw millions of dollars at A.J. Burnett.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

True or not, it's healthy for us fans to get a cold splash of an alternate reality once in a while. Perception is what drives the market and if there's a negative perception in the market of a guy that some folks think is one of the Reds biggest trading chips, we need to pay attention.
    /r/reds

I like Dunn too...but i am not blinded by some of his big faults....and what that GM says.....Says a lot. He would be better suited with a more veteran team around him.....but he is not going to be the main cog in any machine.
    Nothing wrong with that.....but might be with this team. On the 1994-95 or 1999 team...he would work great. Mitchell and Dunn back to back in 1994?
    Vaughn and Dunn?

The guy is generally not familiar with the truth (like the explanantion given when cutting Thomas). Spending any energy worrying about what the "pimp"(see if anyone remembers the reference) says is not worth it.

Funny thing is his high priced OF talents(Rios and Wells) are tanking this year.

Isn't there some sort of tampering issue here. I mean if I were Dunn, I'd be ticked that a GM went off on my attitude in my walk year. I'm sure the union will have something to say about this.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Dunn: 'I don't know the clown'
    Thursday, June 19, 2008, 10:04 AM EST

I'll get you more, but Dunn said he was "pissed off" about Toronto General Manager J.P. Riccardi's statements about him made Wednesday night on a Toronto radio station.

"This guy's not even in the same country," Dunn said.

"I guess I'm not going to Toronto," he said.

I'll have more in a couple of minutes when I transcribe my tape. I'm also sending it to 1530 Homer, and you can listen online.

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog

Yep, when JP says he's not interested in a player, it's usually a pretty good indication that he is interested in that player.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I've never been impressed with J.P. Ricciardi. I find him to be one of the most overrated GM's in the game today.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    one of the most overrated GM's in the game today.
    somebody rates him highly?

I've long been surprised by the length of his tenure. Keep feeding the same slot machine because it's bound to hit mentality.

Turn Off Ads?