Thread: Reds one of the favorites to land top Dominican talent Michel Inoa

Reds one of the favorites to land top Dominican talent Michel Inoa

Kudon to shank.58 for finding this.

Source: Rangers, Reds jump into bidding war for Dominican Inoa, 16

By Enrique Rojas
    ESPNdeportes.com
    (Archive)

Updated: June 23, 2008, 5:27 PM ET

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The Texas Rangers and Cincinnati Reds have joined the Oakland Athletics in a bidding feud for the services of Dominican pitching prospect Michael Inoa, the crown jewel of the pool of Latin American players who will be available to be signed July 2, a source has told ESPNdeportes.com.

"Oakland has led the pack of teams interested in Inoa, but both Cincinnati and Texas have surged in the past few days, and it is now a three-horse race of big favorites to grab this kid," the source said.

"Some teams have offered him a major league contract in order to make the offer even more attractive, but Inoa's team is not interested in that. The battle may be fought until the last minutes," the source added.

July 2 marks the beginning of the eligibility period for players who turn 17 years old after Sept. 6, though they won't be able to play until next year. Players 17 or older may sign anytime.

Inoa, 16, at 6 feet 7 and 210 pounds, is a right-hander with a repertoire consisting of a 93-mph fastball, a changeup and a curveball.

The young prospect has been evaluated by every major league organization. General manager Billy Beane and a group of Oakland executives even traveled to Dominican Republic to evaluate Inoa.

According to data obtained by ESPNdeportes.com, at least seven teams were ready to give Inoa a bonus of more than $3 million, but many of them, including the New York Yankees, pulled out of the race as the price for the young ace went up.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3457855

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds one of the favorites to land top Dominican talent Michel Inoa

Nice find shank..... This is huge news.

This is huge news. The Reds have already landed the top young hitter in Juan Duran who some scouts say is the best talent to come out off the DR in years. They've also been rumored to in the race for another top young outfielder named Yorman Rodriguez and now we have reports that they're hot after Michel Inoa. I would love to see them sign this kid. 6'7" 210 and already throwing 93 mph at age 16?!? That's amazing. Hopefully they can get this kid signed.

I want to compare him to Randy Johnson just because of his size. Who knows how big this kid is going to get. I'd love to see the Reds fork up the cash to get this guy.

He's a pitcher and Beane is willing to spend top dollar for him. That's all I need to hear. Stop at nothing.

He is a great talent but that is a ton of money for a 16 year old pitcher. I think it could be better used else where.

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    He's a pitcher and Beane is willing to spend top dollar for him. That's all I need to hear. Stop at nothing.
    I agree, that guy won't spend a penny he doesnt have too typically

I'd much rather see money spent on a kid like Inoa than a guy like Patterson or Bako. Kids like this don't along too often. The Reds have some major selling points and they should use them. Point out to him and is agent the strong Latin influence the Reds have on the current pitching staff in Johnny Cueto, Edinson Volquez, and Francisco Cordero. They also have Juan Duran in the system and both are the same age. Use that to their advantage. Use Mario Soto as a selling point. Point out what he did for Cueto. Inoa already has a plus fastball and good curveball and just an average changeup. Imagine what Soto could do with him. With Dunn and Griffey's contracts coming off the books, the Reds have the money to throw at him. Add in the Mario Soto factor and I think there's a very good chance Inoa could end up a Red.

This is Great News... Getting some Talent, real Talent signed... Bob C may be the reason this deal gets done... Him wanting something everyone else wants...

This is the kind of Pospect that could be in the Big Leagues by age 19 or 20 with his Fastball and curve... Get that Change Up going and wow... Look out!

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'd much rather see money spent on a kid like Inoa than a guy like Patterson or Bako. Kids like this don't along too often. The Reds have some major selling points and they should use them. Point out to him and is agent the strong Latin influence the Reds have on the current pitching staff in Johnny Cueto, Edinson Volquez, and Francisco Cordero. They also have Juan Duran in the system and both are the same age. Use that to their advantage. Use Mario Soto as a selling point. Point out what he did for Cueto. Inoa already has a plus fastball and good curveball and just an average changeup. Imagine what Soto could do with him. With Dunn and Griffey's contracts coming off the books, the Reds have the money to throw at him. Add in the Mario Soto factor and I think there's a very good chance Inoa could end up a Red.
    I would much rather use the 3 million signing multiple prospects that putting all your marbles in a 16 year old pitcher that could flame out by the time he is 19.

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    I would much rather use the 3 million signing multiple prospects that putting all your marbles in a 16 year old pitcher that could flame out by the time he is 19.
    Not me. I would rather sign the top talent rather than signing a bunch of guys who profile to be average players. In this case I like quality over quantity.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

If this kid was draft eligible, where would he likely go in the draft?

Add in the fact that you can get him without sacrificing a draft pick and his value goes through the roof.

I assume he would be Top 5 talent. Maybe Top 1?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    If this kid was draft eligible, where would he likely go in the draft?

Add in the fact that you can get him without sacrificing a draft pick and his value goes through the roof.

I assume he would be Top 5 talent. Maybe Top 1?
    When the Reds signed Juan Duran in March scouts said it was like having the number one overall pick. My guess is Inoa would rank right up there and no worse than top five talent.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I'm really loving all this news about the Reds in the mix for these players. Gives me a ton of faith in Bob C, potentially putting his money where his mouth is.

Go for the kid, shell out the money. If it doesn't work out it still shows dedication to the fan base and hopefully a history of more DR signings.

Turn Off Ads?