Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds one of the favorites to land top Dominican talent Michel Inoa

Re: Reds one of the favorites to land top Dominican talent Michel Inoa

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Here's an interesting thought.. The Reds could use draft/prospect development money to sign this kid INSTEAD of offering Dunn arbitration to get a supplemental pick.

This is another reason why I think FA draft compensation picks are somewhat overrated.
    This is a perfect example. The Reds can spend money to get the equivalent of a top 10 draft pick without the risk of Dunn accepting arbitration (if they don't want him back, which I think is the case).

It's exciting that the Reds got Duran and are one of the finalists for this kid. Finally this franchise is actually trying to acquire young talent instead of giving it lip service as they did in the Allen/Lindner era.
    Great post.

Shows the value of payroll flexibility. In a free agent era, you don't always have to get value in a trade (or other player decision) if you free up dollars and use them well. The international player market is an example of how the money can be used, without any draft involved. I think that's your point.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Great post.

Shows the value of payroll flexibility. In a free agent era, you don't always have to get value in a trade (or other player decision) if you free up dollars and use them well. The international player market is an example of how the money can be used, without any draft involved. I think that's your point.
    I'm not sure that payroll and player development budgets are treated that way by the Reds though.....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Juan Duran got $2mm. I <3 John Fay.
    Thats not entirely accurate....

To expand further, there are fairly strong substantiated rumors that Duran got more than the 2 million that was talked about.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

A's appear to be the front runner at this point

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...08/266380.html

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    A's appear to be the front runner at this point

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...08/266380.html
    New article old info. The ESPN article is the most up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Thats not entirely accurate....

To expand further, there are fairly strong substantiated rumors that Duran got more than the 2 million that was talked about.
    Thanks for clarifying--I wondered about that. I just meant to further point out Fay's infamous typos and false information, though.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Here's an interesting thought.. The Reds could use draft/prospect development money to sign this kid INSTEAD of offering Dunn arbitration to get a supplemental pick.
    It costs nothing to offer arbitration. And for two first round picks, it's a no brainer.

It only costs money if Dunn accepts.

if Dunn accepts a arbitration, we have him tied up for one year, and we could trade him to any team unrestricted. That is likely better than a long term deal. We get to keep him with zero long term risk, and can trade him unimpeded.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    It costs nothing to offer arbitration. And for two first round picks, it's a no brainer.

if Dunn accepts a arbitration, we have him tied up for one year, and we could trade him to any team unrestricted. That is likely better than a long term deal. We get to keep him with zero long term risk, and can trade him unimpeded.
    Right-Dunn accepting arbitration is the least of the Reds worries. Those picks are valuable too.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

Yes. Though I disagree with it, I understand not wanting to sign Dunn to a longterm contract. Declining to offer him arbitration doesn't make much sense.

This is very, very exciting news to me. These are the kind of moves the Reds should be making more of. I'd rather have an Inoa than to see his money used on a Stanton, Valentin or what-have-you.

OH man would this just cap off a great year of up and comers and showing that the faith is growing to actual long term contention.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Think the pitching of Volquez and the potential of Cueto have any ties to their interest in this kid?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Think the pitching of Volquez and the potential of Cueto have any ties to their interest in this kid?
    I realize this isn't a very productive answer, but I really think Cueto and Volquez have almost nothing to do with this kid.

Jim Callis (BA) just answered a question about Inoa in his chat.

Matt (Boston): What's the latest news on Michael Inoa? I heard somewhere Oakland offered him $4.5 mil, but I could be wrong.

Jim Callis: (2:06 PM ET ) Ben Badler, who's all over the international scene for us, says Inoa could command more than $4 million to sign, blowing away the record for a Latin American bonus (not counting Cubans). The A's appear to be the front-runner, though the Reds and Rangers are also in the hunt. He can't sign until July 2. And no, I haven't heard anything recently about Edward Salcedo.

I really like how the Reds' organization could look to a 16-year-old Dominican hotshot pitcher -- Duran's already there, Soto can help him with his changeup (apparently Inoa does have a changeup that can be refined), and Volquez and Cueto are staff anchors young enough to still be around when Inoa is 21 (about the time he'd hit the majors, if all goes well). If the Reds stay competitive financially in the bidding, they sure seem like they'd have an advantage, so long as they pitch everything well.

Turn Off Ads?