Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Imus again...

Imus again...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3457994

NEW YORK -- Just months after returning to the airwaves with a pledge to mend the wounds caused by his racist and sexist comment about a women's basketball team, Don Imus is again drawing fire for injecting race into his radio show.

During an on-air conversation Monday about the arrests of suspended Dallas Cowboys cornerback Adam Jones, Imus asked, "What color is he?"

Told by sports announcer Warner Wolf that Jones, who used to be nicknamed Pacman, is "African-American," Imus responded: "There you go. Now we know."

The exchange came six months after Imus' return to work on a new show on WABC-AM following his firing from MSNBC and CBS Radio for making a racially and sexually charged comment about the Rutgers University women's basketball team. When he returned to work, Imus gave a lengthy on-air apology and pledged to use his new show to foster an open dialogue on race relations.

Civil rights leader Al Sharpton, one of the chief critics who successfully pushed for Imus' firing from his televised radio show last April, criticized Imus' comments Monday.

"I find the inference of his remark disturbing because it plays into stereotypes," Sharpton said in a statement. "We will determine in the next day or so whether or not his remark warrants direct action on our part."

WABC and Citadel Broadcasting Corp. Vice President Phil Boyce said Imus would be explaining his comments on his Tuesday morning show and it was unlikely the broadcasters would take disciplinary action against him.

Boyce said Imus had explained his words in a private conversation Monday afternoon and the explanation was satisfactory.

"I think some people may be misunderstanding what he meant," said Boyce, who declined to go into further detail.

Through a spokesman, Imus declined to comment. Jones' attorney did not immediately respond to an e-mail.

Rutgers University women's basketball spokeswoman Stacey Brann said there was "no need to revisit the past" and wouldn't comment further.

On Monday's show, Imus and Wolf were discussing Jones' request Saturday that people stop using his nickname. Wolf explained Jones was suspended from the NFL following a shooting at a Las Vegas nightclub, and he added that Jones had been "arrested six times since being drafted by Tennessee in 2005."

Imus' next words were, "What color is he?"

The segment appears to have had a common theme with earlier segments. While talking about Tiger Woods winning the U.S. Open, Imus asked about the race of runner-up Rocco Mediate.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Imus again...

There is stupid and then there is stupid.

I laugh every time I see Rev. Al mentioned as nobody spends more of their own time interjecting race into their situations than him. He only cares about one race and he makes it more and more obvious as time goes by.

Unfortunately for the Imus police this little dust-up isn't going be enough to push him off the air again. I watch Imus every day and there are more offensive things said daily than this. It is so funny what some people try to do with race in this country.

Sharpton needs Imus.

All I'm going to say because this topic is Peanut Gallery fodder.
    Last edited by GAC; 06-24-2008 at 08:58 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Nice to see Al Sharpton found a way to make some more money off of somebody's "insensitivity" besides his own.

I've heard worse things said on the radio than that...

It seems to me "the-player-formerly-known-as-Pacman" has done plenty to reinforce the negative stereotype himself. How many arrests did he have between being drafted and his first game?

Seriously, I'm glad the guy is no longer with the Titans but I really hope he turns his life around.
    Last edited by durl; 06-24-2008 at 09:09 AM.

Imus is falling apart like my 95 year old grandmother.

I haven't heard the new show. I assume that he's lost all of his more interesting guests and is down to the Look-at-me-I'm-no-longer-relevants of the world?

Imus as Gavin McLeod?

(does Warner Wolf still say "let's go to the videotape" twice a minute even if he's on radio? I hope so)
    Last edited by princeton; 06-24-2008 at 09:15 AM.

I'm surprized that this even got caught, I didn't think anyone listened to Imus anymore.

He needs to retire to the Cancer Ranch with Dierdre or however you spell it.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Newsflash: Imus has been offensive for 30 years ... it's just because of PC people now pay attention when he gores the wrong ox.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Newsflash: Imus has been offensive for 30 years ... it's just because of PC people now pay attention when he gores the wrong ox.
    Plus there's absolutely no humor whatsoever to what he says. Pretty difficult to pass yourself off as a satirist when you're not making any sort of joke.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Yeah, Imus has always been a jerk so who cares what he says? Maybe I should become a jerk for twenty yewars so everybody gives me a pass.

Pretty pathetic, people.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Yeah, Imus has always been a jerk so who cares what he says? Maybe I should become a jerk for twenty yewars so everybody gives me a pass.
    I don't know that it's really giving him a pass -- last I checked there wasn't a 1.5th Amendment that stated: "You have the right not to be offended by anyone."
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

He's got a history, but I also think there is plausible deniability in this one. He claims he was making a social commentary on blacks being targeted for arrest. Listening to it, I don't think you can say for certain its not possible.

That said, who cares? Imus is well past his sell by date.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Give me Howard Stern and O&A any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    He's got a history, but I also think there is plausible deniability in this one. He claims he was making a social commentary on blacks being targeted for arrest. Listening to it, I don't think you can say for certain its not possible.

That said, who cares? Imus is well past his sell by date.
    This is about exactly how I feel about this.

IMO, non-news.

Turn Off Ads?