Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Imus again...

Re: Imus again...

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    This is about exactly how I feel about this.

IMO, non-news.
    I'd think it'd be news-worthy if Imus was relevant.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    Imus is falling apart like my 95 year old grandmother.

I haven't heard the new show. I assume that he's lost all of his more interesting guests and is down to the Look-at-me-I'm-no-longer-relevants of the world?

Imus as Gavin McLeod?

(does Warner Wolf still say "let's go to the videotape" twice a minute even if he's on radio? I hope so)
    You can confidently say that Imus is falling apart but you haven't listened to his new show?

Far as I can tell Imus has lost very few of his guest, interesting or not. I find the show very humorous, interesting and informative.

Hefner, you should look into what the 30 year jerk does with his free time. I can all but guarantee he does a heck of a lot more for humanity than you do. He spends his days helping sick kids with cancer. You spend your days commenting on every issue under the sun on the non baseball side of a baseball message board? And he is the "jerk"?

http://www.americanprofile.com/article/4870.html

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    If Imus isn't "relevant" why does he get such distinguished guest and why does he keep making news? And why did WABC in New York City can a very successful show to get him back on the air?

Why don't you just be honest and say you can't stand the guy and move on instead of dancing around it and claiming he isn't "relevant"?

What is the definition of "relevant"? Simply something YOU care about? You guys sound like morons when you claim that nobody listens to Imus. He has tons of listeners and viewers. When he brings an author on his show, book sales go through the roof. When he wants to raise money for something he doesn't have much problem.

It is easy to see how such no issues become news. Too many people in front of their computers with nothing else to do but rail against people they know nothing about, but don't like.
    Last edited by MaineRed; 06-24-2008 at 10:55 PM.

What do you think about your hero's backpedaling excuse/mea culpa, MaineRed?

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Oh, definitely.

Unfortunately for him, I don't think he fits that bill.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce4HOF View Post
    What do you think about your hero's backpedaling excuse/mea culpa, MaineRed?
    Yeah, he really backpedaled . I think the same thing I thought before he addressed the issue, non story.

Imus has lost 3 very close friends of his show in the last couple of weeks, George Carlin, Tim Russert and Hamilton Jordan (not bad for someone who isn't relevant, eh?).

Maybe if Jay Bruce, Adam Dunn and Dusty Baker were his weekly guest he'd be like the Reds and be considered relevant by the entire universe.

Does anyone else see the irony in fans of the Reds, a team that can't get out of the cellar, a team that has trouble drawing fans, calling one of the most influential members of the media, irrelevant?

I can promise you that more people listen to Imus, than watch the Reds. Put that into your relevancy calculator.

Yeah, he really did backpedal.

"I made the comment I did because I was pointing out how he was being targeted because he was black."

You honestly believe that? Seriously? The I-Man was just pointing out the hypocrisy of the police who target black people? He wasn't saying "OH OF COURSE HE WAS BLACK" because OF COURSE EVERY PERSON WHO GETS IN TROUBLE WITH THE POLICE IS BLACK.

Laughable. Anyone besides a huge Imus apologist can see his transparent excuse/backpedal for exactly what it is. The man is a racist. He's losing his marbles at an alarmingly fast rate and is losing the ability to censor himself from making racist comments.

And stop with the strawmen concerning the ...... REDS?!?! You're not helping your argument, it's just bizarre.

Imus has two black people on his show, daily and he has a black producer, a black producer who quit MSNBC to come work with Imus on his new show. This AFTER the Rutgers remark. Obviously these 3 people don't see it your way. Neither do I.

When Imus says anything questionable, Tony Powell and Karith Foster are all over him, even if it has nothing to do with race. They said NOTHING when he made the comment. Not a lick. They knew EXACTLY what he meant. So did Warner Wolfe. There was no question in their mind. None. Imus has been using the , "now we know" line forever. Just as he and others on the show had been mimicking rappers, before the Rutgers fiasco.

You simply have no clue what you are talking about. It really is that easy. Imus is not a racist. He and plenty of other people have made comments that were on the racial side. None of them have come from his heart. You and a lot of other folks in this country need to learn the difference. You all want to jump on people the first chance you get. "RACIST!". Do you even know the definition of the word? It isn't someone who sits around and mimicks rappers or makes sarcastic comments. There are so many of you who don't know the difference between a comedian and a racist. Is Dave Chappelle a racist? Is Dick Gregory, Chris Rock or most any other black comedian? Chris Rock can't speak one sentence without making some disparaging remark about white people.

A racist is someone who hires a less qualified white guy to produce his show. A racist is someone who goes out of his way to treat black people differently. Imus and the people on his show make fun of people. His radio producer who is a devout Catholic used to do a bit where he pretended to be Cardinal O'Connor. And Imus makes as much fun of himself as anyone on earth.

As for the Reds comparison I think it is dead on. More people watch and listen to Imus than watch the Reds. If Imus is irrelevant ...............

I wonder why he hired those black people to come work on his show? You've REALLY got to read between the lines to figure that one out.

Imus isn't a racist? You should talk to the black secretary who worked under Imus at WNBC whom he called a n-word ALL THE TIME.

Howard Stern and Robin talk about Imus using the N-word ALL THE TIME during the time they worked together at WNBC. You think Imus would let Stern say that without suing him if it wasn't true?

Imus is a huge racist, and he's becoming mentally unglued and just isn't able to hold himself back like he used to in years past. The guy sounds like death warmed over at this point.

You're comparing a sports team on a decade-long losing streak to a racist talk show host... I don't see any valid or useful comparison between the two.

Here's the thing you're missing... it's fine to make JOKES about race, but there needs to be an ACTUAL JOKE in there somewhere. Calling a bunch of women bball players "Nappy Headed Ho's" isn't a joke. There is no punchline. Knowingly saying, "Of course" someone is black when they get arrested isn't a joke, it's a racist statement.

I'm all for free speech, by the way. Say whatever you want, as far as I'm concerned. It's just blatantly obvious that Imus is a racist jerk... and probably in the early to mid stages of dementia.
    Last edited by JayBruce4HOF; 06-25-2008 at 10:29 PM.

This guy (Carl Jeffers) was on with Imus this morning:

Here is what he had to say about Imus and this latest incident:

"Since Don Imus returned to the airwaves, no one in America has been more consistently involved in having conversations about race, in an in depth way than Don Imus."

Carl Jeffers thinks Imus is good for race relations. In fact, he doesn't think anyone out there with any sort of audience is any better. Nobody. Sure is a different opinion than some of what I am reading here. Gee, I wonder which one is right and which one is wrong.

If you were a regular Imus listener you would know that comment that got him fired was a satire on rappers. He just chose a poor way to use it that morning when he was talking about the Rutgers women.

Jay, maybe you are the one who is racist. You are the one who AUTOMATICALLY assumed Imus was saying what you claim he was saying when that is NOT what he was saying at all. It is YOU and not Imus who is making the inference that anyone who gets arrested is likely black. You and a lot of other people. Imus' point was the exact opposite of that and it is one he has been making for YEARS. Imus beats to a different drum than most of us and if you aren't a regular to his show you aren't going to get him or his humor. He is an acquired taste. And he is a good guy. I don't care about what happened back when Stern worked with him. Imus has said stuff about Stern before and Howard has made threats but no lawsuits ever came from his side either. They are two radio power brokers and they don't like each other. Imus doesn't need to sue Stern anymore than Stern needs to sue Imus. Both have millions coming out their ears. Imus used to come to work both drunk and high on crack in those days as well so we aren't even talking about the same person.

"I wonder why he hired those black people to come work on his show? You've REALLY got to read between the lines to figure that one out."

The black producer worked with him at MSNBC BEFORE he got fired and then quit MSNBC when Imus came back on the air.

You don't have to look between any lines to see why he has two black co host. It is quite simple really. He elected to bring the discussion of race onto his show and it is kind of hard to do that with just white people. He didn't need to hire black people. He isn't looking to appease anyone. If he was why would he go and make what on the surface looks WORSE than the Rutgers comment? Seriously, why would someone who hires people to appease the masses go out of his way to upset those same people?

"Imus is a huge racist, and he's becoming mentally unglued and just isn't able to hold himself back like he used to in years past. The guy sounds like death warmed over at this point."

It is now even more obvious that you don't listen to Imus, at all which explains why you keep making comments from out of left field. The Imus show is much tamer than it ever used to be and as Carl Jeffers (very well respected member of the media) pointed out, NOBODY is doing more to foster an IN DEPTH discussion on race, than Imus. Again, it is the exact opposite of what you are saying.

Carl Jeffers or a guy on a message board? Who would you side with?
    Last edited by MaineRed; 06-25-2008 at 11:15 PM.

Don Imus insists he’s a good person. Howard Stern says he’s dead wrong.

Imus made insensitive racial comments on the air last week in which he referred to an all-female black basketball team as “nappy-headed hos.”

Meanwhile, former co-worker Howard Stern said on his Sirius satellite radio show Monday morning, “This might be the first interesting thing he’s said.”

Stern has longed claimed Imus’ racist tendencies, going back 25 years when they worked together at WNBC.

Along with co-host Robin Quivers, Stern reminisced about the days when Imus freely spouted racist spiels, addressing African-American co-workers using the word “******” during the 1980s.

But Stern said not to expect any action against Imus.

“In terms of the things Imus says, this really isn’t that bad,” Stern told his audience. “Imus will survive this.”

Dave McGurgan can be reached by e-mail at dmcgurgan@phillyburbs.com.
    http://blogs.phillyburbs.com/blog.php?p=12332&cat=14

Imus' Racial Slurs Discussed. 04/09/07. 7:30am
    Howard said that last week it came out that Imus is racist again. He said he used to work with Imus at NBC and he saw him go up to this black woman who worked there and called her the N-word. He said that this woman, Brenda, was a lovely woman and very nice. She wasn't even allowed to talk to Imus.

Howard said Imus is 100 years old and has no ratings on his show but they call it ''the wildly popular Imus show'' in the paper. He said it's not wildly popular, it doesn't get any ratings. He went on to say that Imus called the Rutgers woman's basketball team a bunch of ''nappy headed hos'' or something like that. He said that's actually nothing compared to what he said behind the scenes at WNBC when they were there. They should have fired him at NBC when he called Brenda the N-word but that never happened.

Howard said he just saw that Opie and Anthony had a 0.0 rating when they went out to Las Vegas. He said that's almost impossible to do on the radio and he was only pointing it out because of how hard it is to get such a low rating. That led to Artie quoting a scene from ''Animal House'' where Blutarski's grade point average was a 0.0. Artie said that's like there's not one person listening out there. They goofed on them for a short time about that.

Howard said that any other radio personality would be fired for making racist comments like Imus did. They spent a short time talking about that whole thing and how Imus is going to go apologize to black people on Al Sharpton's radio show. Howard said it just shows you how media companies are desperate for ratings and won't even fire this guy after making those comments. MSNBC is saying they didn't know what happened there and it was the radio station that did it and they had no control over it. Howard said it's on their air though so they are responsible.

Howard got back to the Opie and Anthony thing and had Tim Sabean come in to talk about how low their ratings are. Tim said that they had another 0.0 in Chicago as well. Howard said he doesn't want to put them down because they're in a tough position. No one was sure what that tough position was though. Howard said that it just shows that Viacom is stuck and trying to do anything they can to replace him.

Howard said that he will never be on the air when he's Imus' age. He played the audio from his show where Imus called the girls from Rutgers ''some nappy headed hos.'' Howard said Imus probably would have been fine with that but then one of his other guys got on and quoted a line from one of Spike Lee's movies. They threw out a couple more racial slurs and that's probably what drove them over the edge. Howard said that if he ever gets to that age that Imus is at and he's still on the radio, he's going to dress up like a fireman or something. He said that Imus dresses up like a cowboy so it's like he's dressing up in costume. He said that would be like him dressing up like a knight or something like that.

Artie said that Imus' show was unfunny even when he was trying to be funny. They were trying to do funny stuff but it just doesn't work. Howard had the apology that Imus made on his show. Fred was doing his impression of Imus before Howard even played the clip. Fred had it down pretty well. Howard played the clip where Imus says that he's apologizing for what they said and quickly moved right on to other things.
    http://www.marksfriggin.com/news07/4-9.htm#mon

Please, however, keep spinning. Oh, the Mel Gibson defense now? He was messed up on drugs, so that excuses him calling a co-worker the n-word. Keep spinning. Honestly, you're better at spinning Imus' racist garbage than Imus is himself.

I didn't excuse anything. I said we aren't talking about the same person. Imus used to do a lot of stuff he isn't proud of and that is why he changed. Not sure why folks from your segment of the population want people who go into the gutter to just remain there. Coming out and fixing the wrongs they make isn't good enough for people like you. You've made that obvious the way you dismiss his new cast members or his point of including race discussions on his show.

You and Howard are talking about stuff that happened a long, long time. Not yesterday.

When was the last time Howard Stern interviewed someone running for president? It is 6th grade material to keep saying Imus doesn't "say anything interesting". George Carlin's wife called Imus yesterday on his cell phone and left him a message to tell him that George loved him. Nobody like George Carlin is going to call Howard Stern's wife after he dies. Tim Russert and Imus were friends. Numerous US senators are friendly with Imus. I could go on and on and on. You can't do that with Stern. Yet it is Stern fanatics who claim Imus isn't interesting or irrelevant or start screaming that he is a racist because of something he said 25 years ago.

It really boggles my mind how people who listen to Howard Stern interviewing crack *****s are the moral police when it comes to Imus.

You know what Imus says about Stern? Imus says Stern is jealous of him because he made more money than Howard when they worked together and that Imus used to bring in higher paying advertisers. Far as I recall Stern never sued Imus for slander on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    Imus is falling apart like my 95 year old grandmother.
    although she looks 20 years younger?

Imus has a great face for radio.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    You can confidently say that Imus is falling apart but you haven't listened to his new show?

Far as I can tell Imus has lost very few of his guest, interesting or not. I find the show very humorous, interesting and informative.

Hefner, you should look into what the 30 year jerk does with his free time. I can all but guarantee he does a heck of a lot more for humanity than you do. He spends his days helping sick kids with cancer. You spend your days commenting on every issue under the sun on the non baseball side of a baseball message board? And he is the "jerk"?

http://www.americanprofile.com/article/4870.html
    lol I can't believe a reject like Don Imus has fanboys.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Turn Off Ads?