Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 58

Thread: Imus again...

  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: Imus again...

    Dude, you spend your free time blogging about one of the worst sports franchises of the last 15 years. And you call one of the most influential people in the media, a reject?

    It is called perspective. Find some.

    By the way, when is Imus going to be fired for his latest racial outburst? Based on his statements that anyone with a brain can see through, his dismissal must be imminent.

    LMAO.

    Matter of fact if Imus gets fired in the next week, I will never post on this board again.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Re: Imus again...

    He has tens of listeners and viewers.
    Got that all fixed up for you.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  4. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: Imus again...

    Thanks. Another guy who can't pull himself off redszone who is an expert on pop culture.

  5. #34
    fan EddieMilner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Buchanan, MI
    Posts
    391

    Re: Imus again...

    Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    George Carlin's wife called Imus yesterday on his cell phone and left him a message to tell him that George loved him. Nobody like George Carlin is going to call Howard Stern's wife after he dies.
    I was just catching up on this thread. On Monday, Howard Stern played a phone message that George Carlin had recently left for Howard thanking him for the nice comments he made on Carlin's appearance on Bill Maher's show. Obviously George thought enough of Howard's opinion to personally call him and thank him for praise.

  6. #35
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,463

    Re: Imus again...

    Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    one of the most influential people in the media
    You are completely divorced from reality.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  7. #36
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,058

    Re: Imus again...

    Imus' statement the other day was racist.

    I don't care how many black people he knows, has kissed, has dealt with, has working for him, how many troubled kids he has helped out, or if Jesse Jackson is an idiot or if the statement "the Rev. Al Sharpton" is an oxymoron.

    He was insinuating something and then he tried to cover up for it by saying he was coming to the man's rescue.

    The original statement was bad enough, the explanation even more insulting.

    And he'll get away with it from here to eternity because his bozo listening audience will keep excusing it. In fact, they like that sort of thing (they must or they wouldn't keep listening). As long as there are listeners, there will be advertising dollars.

    Does it make Imus a racist to say such things? I don't really care. I'm not interested in the inner workings of a man who thinks it's funny to make a joke involving Venus and Serena Williiams and National Geographic magazine.

    That sort of humor is only funny to those on the outside looking in.

    Maybe I'll start a radio program and start making fun of children suffering from cancer or serious blood disorders, and children who've lost brothers and sisters to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) like he helps out on his ranch.

    Wouldn't that be funny? And then you all can come on here and have a good laugh and defend me for it and I'll make millions of dollars by making fun of their plight.

    I know, that's not funny, Dom, those kids can't help it.

    And people can't help the color of their skin either.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

  8. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: Imus again...

    Dom, if you are right, why hasn't Imus been fired? Because his listeners defend him? His listeners defended him with the whole Rutgers thing, yet he still got fired. That means your whole, his listeners excuse it, remark, doesn't hold ANY water. It doesn't matter what his listeners say. It isn't up to us. That should be obvious. He isn't still on the air because I am defending him. He is still on the air because what he said is NOTHING to get worked up about. Period.

    The reason this listener is excusing his latest comment is because I know he didn't mean a damn thing by it. You would know that too if you actually listened to his show instead of just blurbs the media throws at you. Imus would NEVER say what you all think he said after what happened to him. And his two black co-host would not let him get away with it. As I already explained, they said nothing. Imus has been using that joke, about people only being arrested because they are black, forever. It wasn't anything new and it isn't racist. It is joke. Just like it is a joke to say white people can't jump or can't dance. But you bleeding hearts probably consider that hate speech.

    If Imus were the racist you all make him out to be he would not have hired two black people to work on his show. Anyone who thinks he is trying to appease someone has no clue about Don Imus the person. None. The last thing Imus cares about is what anyone else thinks. He went out and hired Tony and Karith to try to make things better, not worse. And that, as Carl Jeffers has explained, is exactly what he is doing.

  9. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: Imus again...

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    You are completely divorced from reality.
    Imus was named as one of the Most Influential PEOPLE in America in the late 90s by Time Magazine and I don't see how he could be considered any less influential now than he was then. You can't find any daily show with as impressive of a guest list. What more evidence does there need to be?

  10. #39
    fan EddieMilner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Buchanan, MI
    Posts
    391

    Re: Imus again...

    Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    Imus was named as one of the Most Influential PEOPLE in America in the late 90s by Time Magazine and I don't see how he could be considered any less influential now than he was then. You can't find any daily show with as impressive of a guest list. What more evidence does there need to be?
    Don't they show his show on RFDTV? If you polled 200 people, you would be lucky to find 2 people that have any clue what the channel is and if its on their local cable service.

    In the late 90s he had actual ratings. Today Imus has 0 ratings. When people aren't listening to you, you are less influential. He could have Jesus himself on his show every morning, but if no one is listening then its still pretty irrelevant.

  11. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    500

    Re: Imus again...

    What is the name of that white guy on comedy central, where his whole act is all about making fun of other races?







    To make a comment on the time-line of race relations in western society, it is interesting that at this particular time in American history, a white person is not allowed to say anything negative about a black person, or, at the very least, they will have to explain to the world why what they just said is not racist. Sort of a guilty until proven innocent deal.

    White Men Can't Jump
    Black Men Can't Read
    Asian Men Can't Drive

    Which of the 3 statements is racist?

    Now which one was a blockbuster movie?

    Can you imagine "Black Men Can't Read" about 2 friends that hustle the local quiz show, and the black guy who also happens to have his PhD in English Lit is the ringer, and everyone in town always falls for the scam, because after all... (insert movie title)

    Or

    "Asian Men Can't Drive" about an Asian guy who can drive really well, and so him and his white buddy sucker the locals to bet against the asian guy winning the big car race. Because after all... (insert movie title here)


    Its a pretty big double standard, and I think it is hilarious to watch certain white dudes squirm because of it. Imus in the Yawning being one of them.

    Gonna have to agree with MaineRed here, even though Imus is kind of a joke to me. The way people call out "racist" these days reminds me of how they used to accuse everyone of being a commie in the 50s, or a witch in the 1800's, etc etc etc.

    Countless examples throughout history of society as a whole over compensating for past wrongdoings.

    Interesting to me...
    Last edited by Fon Duc Tow; 06-27-2008 at 05:09 PM.

  12. #41
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,058

    Re: Imus again...

    Imus has been using that joke, about people only being arrested because they are black, forever.
    Given your argument, then what does this quote mean to you?

    "Here's what I've learned: that you can't make fun of everybody, because some people don't deserve it. Because the climate on this program has been the way it's been for 30 years, that doesn't mean it has to be that way for the next five years. That's got to change...I'm sorry I did that. I'm embarassed that I did that. I am a good person. I did a bad thing. And that will change."

    Those are Don Imus' words, not mine. And he hasn't learned a freaking thing.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 06-27-2008 at 05:48 PM.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

  13. #42
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,058

    Re: Imus again...

    White Men Can't Jump
    Black Men Can't Read
    Asian Men Can't Drive

    Which of the 3 statements is racist?
    I'll give you a few of Imus' show's other examples, and you tell me if they are on the same line as "White Men Can't Jump."

    Calling Gwen Ifill a "cleaning lady" when she went to cover the White House for the New York Times.

    Saying producer Bernard McGuirk was hired to do "n*gger jokes" when interviewed by 60 Minutes.

    Repeated references to black athletes as animals and simians.

    Calling Washington Post media critic Howard Kurtz a "boner-nosed Jewboy."

    Called Patrick Ewing "the missing link."

    Called Shaquille O'Neal "a car-jacker in shorts.

    Called the Knicks "chest-bumping pimps."

    Calling Palestinians stinking animals and repeated references to "ragheads."

    Now, if you want to make your little comparison about White Men Can't Jump (which was made by white people, probably, not black people) and compare it to the above, be my guest.

    But see, you aren't interested in doing that, because you want to excuse Imus' behavior by saying, "Other people do it, too," and then the examples you give are not even in the same league as what Imus has said.

    And MaineRed- by defending him, I don't mean speaking out, necessarily. I mean that you'll still listen. You support him. And that's why he'll always have a job, because there's a market out there with people like you, who excuse the humor and call anybody who gets upset about it "bleeding hearts."

    I mean, "nappy headed ho's"? Is that funny to you? Seriously, if that's funny to you, state so right here. Those are somebody's kids who didn't deserve that.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 06-27-2008 at 05:44 PM.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

  14. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: Imus again...

    Those Rutgers girls didn't deserve it. Of course not. But I also know that African American women, make that women in general don't deserve the billing they get from rappers. And that was what Imus was trying to portray and it was where he got those terms. He was trying to be funny. He and the others on his show had always used language like that while doing satire but it was never really directed at anyone. Imus started that whole thing by saying that Rutgers had some rough looking women. Is that racist? That was his initial though about the Rutgers women. His producer then said, "those are some hard core hos." Imus laughed and then uttered the phrase that got him fired. It wasn't racially motivated. It simply came from his initial feelings about what he saw when he watched the game and from his producer going into the rap routine.

    And lets be honest, if you really cared about the Rutgers women you should be wishing that jokes like Al Sharpton had just kept his pie hole shut instead of making a national story out of it. Had people just let it slide, you know, since we live in America, those Rutgers women wouldn't even know it happened and their feelings would never have been hurt in the first place. You take Imus too seriously, you have a major problem.

    Calling Washington Post media critic Howard Kurtz a "boner-nosed Jewboy."

    Called Patrick Ewing "the missing link."

    Called Shaquille O'Neal "a car-jacker in shorts.

    Called the Knicks "chest-bumping pimps."
    How is calling Shaq a car jacker, racist? Doesn't that one require YOU to make the racial inference? Plenty of white people steal cars btw.

    How is calling the Knicks, who were a bunch of knuckleheads in those days, pimps, racist? What would one have to call a pro hockey team to make an equally insensitive slur.

    Howard Kurtz has gotten over whatever Imus said about him as he is a regular guest on the show, why can't you?

  15. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: Imus again...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Given your argument, then what does this quote mean to you?

    "Here's what I've learned: that you can't make fun of everybody, because some people don't deserve it. Because the climate on this program has been the way it's been for 30 years, that doesn't mean it has to be that way for the next five years. That's got to change...I'm sorry I did that. I'm embarassed that I did that. I am a good person. I did a bad thing. And that will change."

    Those are Don Imus' words, not mine. And he hasn't learned a freaking thing.
    http://www.motherjones.com/mojoblog/..._and_imus.html

    Damned if Imus hasn't been doing yeoman's work in moving America's neurotic race obsession forward. I've been talking and writing about race for 12 years now, but I was gobsmacked on the air. Imus schooled a sister. When he said he was through apologizing for Rutgers, I took that to mean he was through talking about it. But he's certainly not through thinking about it, and he's been doing his homework.
    Print interviews with 'liberal' black journalists (they're really quite conservative; you must be black in exactly the way they demand) are the worst. They already 'know' I'm a Tom and talking to me serves two purposes, none of them reportorial: it proves they're 'objective' even though nothing I say or write ever makes a difference and it gives them fodder to dine out on with the other 'real' black people. "You wouldn't believe how self-hating she is." They call me names but they don't engage in actual debate. Kneejerk doesn't begin to cover it. Don seems to have done the impossible and moved beyond that.

    Of course, it must be said that Imus sandbagged me.

    I was, let's say, surprised' by the invitation and mulled it over for a week. When I thought I could be professional and said yes, it was supposed to be about the election and it was supposed to be short. It was neither; homey went straight to Black History month, everything I'd ever written about race, everything in the black canon about race and—unbelievably—Rutgers. See how The Man is always setting us up?

    Two kids, two books, two cities, and about 15 jobs ago, I wrote a Washington Post column that I can't now find, pleading for someone in public life to admit to sexism or racism or immorality so that the rest of us could. Two of my examples where Justice Thomas admitting to having been a pig towards Anita Hill and Rev. Sharpton admitting that he'd been wrong about Tawana Brawley and paying what he owed to the man whose life and career he'd ruined with his ultimately false accusations. Until someone in public life manned up in that way, we'd all just have to go on lying about our all too human failings, waiting in vain for an example of confession and atonement.

    Until then, no one could be forgiven, publicly or privately, for our momentary -ism's and we all are guilty of something sometime. Never thought that person in public life would be Don Imus and damned if the whole forgiving thing isn't much, much harder than I could have possibly imagined. What is it they say about being careful what you ask for? Offended as I initially was to be asked, I'm glad I did the show. He made a mistake, he took responsibility, he asked for forgiveness. Done, Don.
    Last edited by MaineRed; 06-27-2008 at 06:36 PM.

  16. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    500

    Re: Imus again...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I'll give you a few of Imus' show's other examples, and you tell me if they are on the same line as "White Men Can't Jump."



    Calling Gwen Ifill a "cleaning lady" when she went to cover the White House for the New York Times.

    Saying producer Bernard McGuirk was hired to do "n*gger jokes" when interviewed by 60 Minutes.

    Repeated references to black athletes as animals and simians.

    Calling Washington Post media critic Howard Kurtz a "boner-nosed Jewboy."

    Called Patrick Ewing "the missing link."

    Called Shaquille O'Neal "a car-jacker in shorts.

    Called the Knicks "chest-bumping pimps."

    Calling Palestinians stinking animals and repeated references to "ragheads."
    OK but isn't he a "shock jock?" Isn't he supposed to say things controversial? Isn't that kind of the idea behind that sort of thing? Like I said, I never liked the guy anymore than Stern. I find "shocking for the sake of being shocking" or "planned shocking" to be pretty boring. Imus and Stern are alike in many ways: The are both making piles of money, yet are both running on fumes from the standpoint of being anything close to relevant in a contemporary sense. Last time either of them flirted with being "edgy" or "groundbreaking" had to be early 90s. Maybe late 80s?

    But they still try though. And its funny when the P.C. Mob turns on them.

    Now, if you want to make your little comparison about White Men Can't Jump (which was made by white people, probably, not black people) and compare it to the above, be my guest.
    No, the above seems to be your "little" comparison. I would submit that if you are comparing the two, you have completely missed the point.

    But see, you aren't interested in doing that, because you want to excuse Imus' behavior by saying, "Other people do it, too," and then the examples you give are not even in the same league as what Imus has said.
    I'm saying its a double standard. And it is. Jimmy the Greek and Dusty Baker both said the same ignorant remarks. One guy gets ostracized, another gets to screw up the Reds for the next 3 years.

    Is Imus a racist? Probably. Is Sharpton a racist. Seems like it. But standards of acceptability are "handicapped" shall we say, depending on what your skin color is. THAT is just as wrong as any other historical example in this category. And you defend it. Just don't break your own arm patting yourself on the back.


    I mean, "nappy headed ho's"? Is that funny to you?

    Depends... If Imus said it, I want his sorry butt fired and ridiculed. Then I want a public apology. At that point, hopefully we as a nation can begin the healing process required to overcome such a sickening comment.

    But if Chappelle said it? Well then it is clearly HILARIOUS!
    Last edited by Fon Duc Tow; 06-27-2008 at 06:55 PM.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25