Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't send down Janish

Don't send down Janish

When Hairston comes back the Reds will have to send down a position player. It should be Patterson, or Hopper, or maybe even Valentin (although he's the only decent lefty pinch hitter). It should not be Janish.

The Reds need to build on their young players. Janish is a good defender with decent on base skills who can build on these and become a defensive backup at shortstop, also playing second or third when needed. The Reds are a subpar defensive team and he has value in late innings, when a ground ball pitcher is throwing, or when an infielder is out.

In the minor leagues, Janish showed patience at the plate and hit decently during a couple of seasons. Obviously he is not an offensive threat, but he serves other purposes on the team. I also feel the team coming together around young players and demoting Janish will hurt that chemistry.

Look to the future. Keep Janish.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Don't send down Janish

I think sending Janish down to AAA where he can play everyday would be a move with an eye towards the future, though I'm not sure how large his role in it will be.

Young guys should play, especially young guys who need to make their bat a bigger part of their game.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I couldn't disagree more. Janish needs to be in AAA. He was obviously not ready for the Bigs and I am not sure he ever will be. I expect guys in the organization like Valaika to eventually jump him. No, Valaika is not known for his glove at short and could move to 2b, but there is no reason he can't be a Jeff Keppinger type in MLB, only one that breaks in much earlier and doesn't have to wait until he's 27 to make an impact. Janish is such a bad hitter that his good defensive isn't enough. His numbers last year in the minors when he had a ton of at bats is probably a good indication of how he'll hit over his career IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. Janish needs to be in AAA. He was obviously not ready for the Bigs and I am not sure he ever will be. I expect guys in the organization like Valaika to eventually jump him. No, Valaika is not known for his glove at short and could move to 2b, but there is no reason he can't be a Jeff Keppinger type in MLB, only one that breaks in much earlier and doesn't have to wait until he's 27 to make an impact. Janish is such a bad hitter that his good defensive isn't enough. His numbers last year in the minors when he had a ton of at bats is probably a good indication of how he'll hit over his career IMO.
    By all accounts, Valaika is not really a shortstop, certainly not an average or plus defensive shortstop. Janish is. You cannot discount the value of having plus defenders at that position.

I really disagree with sending Janish out. He's spent a long time in the minor leagues and exposing him to the majors this year is the way to go. It's far more important than keeping Patterson or Hopper on the roster. A veteran bench of Patt, Hopper, Hairston, Valentin, and Ross doesn't fit this team's attempt to promote prospects who have made it up the chain.

Janish is what he is. I see a lot of value in that. I'd like to keep him on the team and hopefully he will improve as he gets more comfortable at the major league level.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-24-2008 at 10:47 AM.

Janish is what he is. I see a lot of value in that.
    How does keeping a SS who is overwhelmed at the dish ( .180/.254/.197) up and sending down a multi position player help the team exactly?

I agree that he needs ABs in AAA and possibly some time at 2B and 3B. If he's going to be an asset in the majors he's going to need to develop his bat, as WOY says, and it would likely serve him well to be able to move around the infield with facility, too.

If someone wants Patterson's salary, I'd give him away. The same goes for Javier Valentin, who not sure I'd call a 'decent' left-handed pinch-hitter. I believe Norris Hopper has no options left and would have to pass through waivers, which probably wouldn't happen. I like the idea of getting Paul Janish regular at-bats. I'd go ahead and send him to Louisville, even though he's a valuable, late-inning, defensive replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    If someone wants Patterson's salary, I'd give him away.
    You'd have to do it over Dusty's dead body.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    You'd have to do it over Dusty's dead body.
    . . . and I would. I'd also pay his salary for him to manage a different NL Central team, since that would probably improve the Reds' record by a few games over the next couple years. Do you think we could lure Pete Mackanin back from the Yankees?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    How does keeping a SS who is overwhelmed at the dish ( .180/.254/.197) up and sending down a multi position player help the team exactly?

It gives Janish the ability to adjust to the major leagues. He's had plenty of at bats in the minor leagues. He's not a 23 year old player who needs "regular at bats."

There is a core of young players on this team. I would try to keep them together as much as possible in Cincy. I would not send them back unless, like Homer, the player is very young and obviously needs some adjustment.

I seem to be in the minority on this, so be it.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-24-2008 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I guess if you're playing for this year, keeping Janish around so that you have a real defensive shortstop makes some amount of sense.

Keeping him on the 25 man roster pretty much destroys any chance that Janish will ever have to become a really useful major league player. He can't become a multi-position utility player if he's sitting on the bench in the majors filling in at shortstop now and then. He's never going to get the regular at bats he needs in order to hit enough at the major league level to be an asset. You know as soon as Keppinger/Hairston/Gonzo are really available, Dusty is going to play them.

In the long run, I don't think it really much matters. The only time Janish hit well was in 100 at bats as a 23 year old in low A ball. Other than that, he's never managed an OPS above 800 even though he's been old for the leagues he's playing in. Why Janish gets 50 major league at bats and Chris Dickerson doesn't really comes down to injuries and organizational whimsy. Neither of these guys would be on the 40 man roster of an organization that was filled with real talent.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    It gives Janish the ability to adjust to the major leagues. He's had plenty of at bats in the minor leagues. He's not a 23 year old player who needs "regular at bats."
    His hitting says otherwise... I love defense, but the fact is a guy has to hit in todays game, the days of the .561 OPS SS are gone.

Hairston and Gonzalez will be back later this year, and it will be a very crowded infield. Janish was only called up because all our infielders were injured.Hopper is back, so sending Patterson down is a possibility, although they might wait until Freel returns. I am on record as hoping his .290 BA in Louisville would translate better to the majors, but he didn't hit; so there will shortly be no room on the roster for him.

Janish doesn't need an .800 OPS, but a .350 OBP would be nice. A stud defensive SS who can hit .250 and take walks (Janish's ceiling in my book) can play on my team anyday.

Turn Off Ads?