Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tuesday June 24th minor league updates

Re: Tuesday June 24th minor league updates

Billings bullpen struggles continue. They now trail 6-4 after six innings.

Means: 2-for-4 SB
    Buchholz: 0-for-2 walk
    Sappelt: 0-for-2 walk, SB
    Brown: 1-for-3 double
    Mendez: 2-for-3 two doubles
    Wideman: 1-for-3 double
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I was at the game tonight. Stewart was electric. That guy has Scott Williamson circa 1999-2000 type stuff. He is going to move very fast.

Cozart looks much better than I expected him. He can pick it.

I was really hoping to see Mesoraco, kinda bummed I missed him.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Rosales finds his home run swing
    After collecting two longballs all year, he lofts two out for Louisville
    By Eric Justic / Special to MLB.com

Adam Rosales' patience paid off Tuesday. It was a long time coming, but he finally found his power stroke.

The 25-year-old first baseman homered twice and matched a career high with five RBIs as Louisville bested visiting Rochester, 8-0, at Louisville Slugger Field.

Rosales entered the game with just two homers in 70 games and hadn't gone deep since June 11 for the Bats (44-35). He was batting just .182 against left-handers, but he went yard twice against Red Wings southpaw Brian Duensing. The strategy for his three-run dinger? He waited for his pitch.

"I got down 0-2, he threw me a high fastball and I laid off of it and a low change up and I laid off of that too," Rosales said. "But I got a changeup over the heart of the plate, and it just so happened to exit the stadium."

Selected in the 12th round of the 2005 Draft, Rosales needed to see only two pitches in the sixth for his fourth career two-homer game. After taking a changeup away, Rosales got his pitch and took advantage of it for a two-run blast.

"I was anticipating a fastball inside," he said. "Fastball is the only one that can beat you, so I was sitting on it. He threw it where I liked it. It was about belt-high and inside, so I probably won't be seeing any of those pitches anymore."

The Chicago native hit a career-high 18 homers with 79 RBIs between Class A Advanced Sarasota and Double-A Chattanooga last season. That included his last two-homer game July 23 and a five-RBI game May 11 for the Lookouts.

Rosales hasn't enjoyed the same success in his first season in Triple-A. Even with this performance, he's batting just .224 with 31 RBIs. But he hopes this game can get him going.

"I'm kind of out-thinking myself," he said. "I had a slow start and when you have a slow start, the season kind of creeps up on you. But I just had to slow it down, and maybe the second half will be more rewarding."

Louisville starter Matthew Maloney (7-4) yielded four hits and fanned seven in seven innings to lower his ERA to 4.55.

Duensing (4-7) gave up seven runs on seven hits and one walk with a strikeout in six innings.

Randy Ruiz doubled -- the only extra-base hit for Rochester (35-45).

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/n...milb&fext=.jsp
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Really pumped about Waring and Stewart. Good to see Cozart turn around his slow start too. And it sounds like we finally have a minor league SS who is actually a SS (and not a 2B, 3B or OF).

Even though the spotlight was in Dayton tonight, I think the showings of Rosales are Maloney are very important. Those are two guys I think could help the big league club.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Dragons dig another early hole, can't escape
    South Bend scores four runs in first inning en route to 7-5 victory.

By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

DAYTON ó Maybe the Dayton Dragons should go in a different direction. Maybe they should use their newest reliever, Zach Stewart, as a starter.

In two games covering four innings, Stewart, a third-round draft pick by the parent Reds on June 5, has retired every batter he has faced, including all six in the final two innings Tuesday, June 24, at Fifth Third Field.

Unfortunately for the Dragons, Stewart didn't pitch the first inning, when South Bend scored four runs on the way to a 7-5 victory as Dayton fell behind in the first for the eighth time in nine games.

"We've got to make better pitches," Dragons manager Donnie Scott said. "You throw in those walks, and they add up."

Starter Kyle Lotzkar, 18, taken in the supplemental first round of last year's draft, was not entirely at fault . Third baseman Brandon Waring's dropped ground ball kept the inning alive for a three-run homer, the same as a misplayed outfield pop did in Lotzkar's previous start.

"I kind of put myself in that position," Lotzkar said. "I wasn't focusing on the catcher's target. I was focusing on the batters."

Pitching coach Doug Bair guessed that was the situation since Lotzkar's first pitches were all over the place.

"It's typical for a young guy to see everything," said Bair, who also noticed Lotzkar was aiming his pitches early, not throwing them. "I felt myself doing it as a big-leaguer."

The advice worked, if late. Lotzkar pitched four more innings, striking out six while allowing one hit and walking two. Meanwhile, Waring cranked a long, two-run homer in the eighth to spark a comeback that fell just short for the second straight night.

That's why Stewart might be a good thought to start the games.

"That's a golden arm," Scott said. "Lotzkar's got the stuff (too). He has the same type of sinker Stewart has. It's got to happen."

It just hasn't happened yet.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...spdragons.html
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I was at the game tonight. Stewart was electric. That guy has Scott Williamson circa 1999-2000 type stuff. He is going to move very fast.

Cozart looks much better than I expected him. He can pick it.

I was really hoping to see Mesoraco, kinda bummed I missed him.
    Thanks for the report on Stewart. If you go back and read the draft thread then everyone will remember how much I wanted the Reds to draft this kid if he fell to the Reds. Thankfully he did and I was pretty excited to hear his name called when the Reds made their third round selection. He's got a nice arsenal with that 95-96 mph sinking fastball and a plus slider, plus he's learning a changeup. I think this kid could move fast and join Cordero, Burton, Bray, and Roenicke in the Reds bullpen maybe sometime late next season.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Billings won 8-6.

Means: 2-for-6 SB
    Bartles: 2-for-4 walk, HBP
    Buchholz: 1-for-5 walk
    Sappelt: 0-for-3 walk, HBP, SB
    Brown: 1-for-5 double
    Mendez: 2-for-5 two doubles
    Day: 0-for-3 two HBP
    Wideman: 2-for-5 two doubles

Junior Martinez: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

Aguido Gonzalez: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
    I miss Adam Dunn.

What's the deal with the DSL players? What kind of barriers do they face to getting to the states, provided there is no funny business? I ask because they have some players having nice starts to their seasons. Sergio Guerrero is showing good power and pretty good patience, along with some speed. I'm wondering how long before we see him in the states.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Maloney looked great tonight. Well within the strike zone, especially for the first 5 innings. Seemed to get many pop-ups on his off-speed. Touched 91-92 mph once or twice, but was consistently in the 88-90 range, with his off-speed in the higher 70s. Very efficient tonight. Hopefully Rosales got a giddy-up to get out of his year-long slump. Marcus McBeth looked very nice tonight, something I hadn't seen from him in all the games I've been to this year. 92mph on the night for him.

I'll be at tomorrow's game, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I'm wondering how long before we see him in the states.
    I think that is a good question to answer. What is the age limit, if any, on Rookie Ball? I expect we might see Duran there next year, but I would like to know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    What's the deal with the DSL players? What kind of barriers do they face to getting to the states, provided there is no funny business? I ask because they have some players having nice starts to their seasons. Sergio Guerrero is showing good power and pretty good patience, along with some speed. I'm wondering how long before we see him in the states.

Just a WAG on my part, but in some cases (as with Duran), certain of these kids may be pretty young and may not speak fluent Ebglsih. It wouldn't surprise me if the Reds wanted to keep a few of them in a more controlled environment in more familiar surroundings.

Thinking out loud 6.25
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008, 01:25 AM ES

I hadn't been to Dayton's Fifth Third Field before last night and was just blown away.

I've been to many South Atlantic League games before in old stadiums and with outdated clubhouses. This, though, is so much different. This place is incredible. I can understand now why some guys I've talked to feel like it's almost a demotion when they go from low-Class A in Dayton to high-Class A in Sarasota.

As far as the product on the field? Well, Kyle Lotzkar settled down and looked pretty good. I'd heard about shortstop Zack Cozart, and he not only showed off his glove, but he also had two hits, including a double to break up the perfect game. He also scored two runs.

3B Brandon Waring hit an absolute bomb, but is suspect defensively.

And then there's this year's third-round pick Zach Stewart. The Reds didn't have a second-round pick because of the signing of Francisco Cordero, but they may have gotten a second-round pick out of Stewart. This guy is just filthy. I'll have more on him later, I got something to write about him.

But before that, I will give you a quote from Dragons manager Donnie Scott:

"Iíll tell you, I donít know how long weíre going to have him. Heís got great stuff, bottom line. He pitches down in the zone, heís great sink on his fastball, his slider he can throw it for strikes, he knows how to utilize it when heís ahead in the count. This guy, he keeps throwing pitches like that, heís going to be knocking on Cincinnatiís door real quick."

He was hitting 94-95 pretty consistently. That was on the scoreboard gun and I sat for a half-inning behind a scout and he had the same on his gun.

I heard one scout wonder how he lasted until the third round.

I went up so I could see Lotzkar and Devin Mesoraco, but Mesoraco had the day off, but I heard good things about him.

Bottom line, go up and see a game there. A great stadium.

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?