Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 72

Thread: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

  1. #1
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,512

    An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...SFRONTCAROUSEL


    Honestly, I don't see the bill passing...not now.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 06-24-2008 at 03:19 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,648

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    "The law ensures that all business will operate on a level playing field with one fair, statewide standard that is easy to enforce. Furthermore, the intent of the law—to protect all workers from secondhand smoke— was clearly communicated to Ohio voters," Hoctor said.
    That's a bold-faced lie.

    I imagine you'd have a hard time rounding up more than a dozen people who voted on this issue based on his or her belief in the need for a "healthy workplace" for bartenders and waitresses.

    The "smoking ban" was a referendum on smoke-filled rooms. Unfortunately for bar owners, they got hit with a double-whammy: patrons who don't like smoke-filled bars voting for the ban, and people who don't go to bars in the first place.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 06-24-2008 at 04:20 PM.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

  4. #3
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,016

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The "smoking ban" was a referendum on smoke-filled rooms. Unfortunately for bar owners, they got hit with a double-whammy: patrons who don't like smoke-filled bars voting for the ban, and people who don't go to bars in the first place.
    Should have made the polling places all be in bars then.

  5. #4
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,622

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    Is there any precedent for a state easing its non smoking laws?

  6. #5
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,667

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    Am I the only one who actually likes the smoking ban? I was always the person who got sat at a restaurant in the nonsmoking area that for some reason was right next to the smoking section. I actually enjoy not having that problem anymore. Also, my grandmother smoked for a LONG time so I hated being around it my whole life (she eventually died of lung cancer eight years ago). Being able to go a restaurant, bar, or heck even a bowling alley and knowing I won't come out smelling like an ashtray is something I really enjoy. I'm probably in the minority here though.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,736

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Am I the only one who actually likes the smoking ban? I was always the person who got sat at a restaurant in the nonsmoking area that for some reason was right next to the smoking section. I actually enjoy not having that problem anymore. Also, my grandmother smoked for a LONG time so I hated being around it my whole life (she eventually died of lung cancer eight years ago). Being able to go a restaurant, bar, or heck even a bowling alley and knowing I won't come out smelling like an ashtray is something I really enjoy. I'm probably in the minority here though.
    Nope, I'm with you.

  8. #7
    MarsArmyGirl RosieRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,783

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    I smoke and the only time the smoking ban ever bothers me in this city is at Bogart's, because they will not let you go outside and come back in.

    Other than that, I don't mind stepping outside to smoke. As crazy as this might sound, I don't like being in smoke-filled rooms either. I like to choose what smoke goes in my lungs.

  9. #8
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,568

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed View Post
    I smoke and the only time the smoking ban ever bothers me in this city is at Bogart's, because they will not let you go outside and come back in.

    Other than that, I don't mind stepping outside to smoke. As crazy as this might sound, I don't like being in smoke-filled rooms either. I like to choose what smoke goes in my lungs.
    They won't let you leave to smoke at GABP either. In fact, there's no where at the stadium where you can smoke now. Before, I was always able to go out by the wall outside the bullpens, but now they've even stopped that. At least Wrigley has a bar that they let smokers smoke in. I wonder what the hit is on attendance at Reds games because smokers can't have a cigarette for 3-4 hours.

    Last time I went to a game, there were people smoking over outside the bullpens. My fiancee and I walked over to join them. A security guard spotted us and told us (us meaning my fiancee and I, not the others standing near us) couldn't smoke inside the stadium. Technically, I didn't think I was inside the stadium, but I didn't argue. I put out my cigarette and placed the remainder back in the pack. I began to walk back toward my seat when 3 more security guards approached me and said that another guard reported that he had seen smoke rising from me. I said yes, and he told me I couldn't smoke so I put it out. One of the three security guards said, "When they tell you to put it out, you need to do so right away." I informed him that I had, to which he replied, "There's no smoking inside the stadium."

    "Yes," I said, "the other guy already informed me of this."

    "So why didn't you put out your cigarette?" he asked.

    "I did!" I exclaimed, "I just told you that." Obviously I was getting a little upset because I felt like this was bordering on harassment.

    "You don't need to have an attitude," the security guard said, "just don't smoke here."

    I didn't say anything else. There was a lot that I wanted to say, but it probably would have gotten me in trouble, so I just walked back to my seat. The three security guards followed us all the way to our seats, I can only assume thinking I'd be insubordinate and light up again on my way there. I was agitated and cranky for the remainder of the game, because I was having a nicotine fit (non-smokers wouldn't understand).

    I haven't been back to a game since.

    This was the second game against the Pirates after Bruce's debut. I was also at the first game, where I asked one of the gate guys if I could step outside to have a cigarette, and he told me I could smoke down by the wall where the very next game I was harassed by security for doing just that.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  10. #9
    Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Hamilton, Ohio
    Posts
    8,413

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    They won't let you leave to smoke at GABP either. In fact, there's no where at the stadium where you can smoke now. Before, I was always able to go out by the wall outside the bullpens, but now they've even stopped that. At least Wrigley has a bar that they let smokers smoke in. I wonder what the hit is on attendance at Reds games because smokers can't have a cigarette for 3-4 hours.

    Last time I went to a game, there were people smoking over outside the bullpens. My fiancee and I walked over to join them. A security guard spotted us and told us (us meaning my fiancee and I, not the others standing near us) couldn't smoke inside the stadium. Technically, I didn't think I was inside the stadium, but I didn't argue. I put out my cigarette and placed the remainder back in the pack. I began to walk back toward my seat when 3 more security guards approached me and said that another guard reported that he had seen smoke rising from me. I said yes, and he told me I couldn't smoke so I put it out. One of the three security guards said, "When they tell you to put it out, you need to do so right away." I informed him that I had, to which he replied, "There's no smoking inside the stadium."

    "Yes," I said, "the other guy already informed me of this."

    "So why didn't you put out your cigarette?" he asked.

    "I did!" I exclaimed, "I just told you that." Obviously I was getting a little upset because I felt like this was bordering on harassment.

    "You don't need to have an attitude," the security guard said, "just don't smoke here."

    I didn't say anything else. There was a lot that I wanted to say, but it probably would have gotten me in trouble, so I just walked back to my seat. The three security guards followed us all the way to our seats, I can only assume thinking I'd be insubordinate and light up again on my way there. I was agitated and cranky for the remainder of the game, because I was having a nicotine fit (non-smokers wouldn't understand).

    I haven't been back to a game since.

    This was the second game against the Pirates after Bruce's debut. I was also at the first game, where I asked one of the gate guys if I could step outside to have a cigarette, and he told me I could smoke down by the wall where the very next game I was harassed by security for doing just that.
    You need to go up to where I sit most of the time (last row of the ballpark) and take a smoke since that's where most of the smokers go. Of course, they always ask if it's all right... I say it's OK... like if I say NO do they move or just light up anyway?... Anyhoo, I'm not going to move.

    Am I the only one who actually likes the smoking ban? I was always the person who got sat at a restaurant in the nonsmoking area that for some reason was right next to the smoking section. I actually enjoy not having that problem anymore. Also, my grandmother smoked for a LONG time so I hated being around it my whole life (she eventually died of lung cancer eight years ago). Being able to go a restaurant, bar, or heck even a bowling alley and knowing I won't come out smelling like an ashtray is something I really enjoy. I'm probably in the minority here though.
    No - but I've been around smokers all my life. Two sisters who are chain smokers and a father that smoked 2 packs a day but quit cold turkey 34 years ago - Dad is 86 years old. So I'm pretty used to it - but it doesn't mean that I like it.:
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

  11. #10
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,512

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    I quit over a year ago, but I don't feel any different about it today than I did when the issue was put on the ballot...I still smoked at that point...

    It should be up to the business owners on how to run their business...now don't get me wrong, not smelling it or smelling like isn't causing me to complain
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 06-25-2008 at 09:42 AM.

  12. #11
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,233

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Am I the only one who actually likes the smoking ban? I was always the person who got sat at a restaurant in the nonsmoking area that for some reason was right next to the smoking section. I actually enjoy not having that problem anymore. Also, my grandmother smoked for a LONG time so I hated being around it my whole life (she eventually died of lung cancer eight years ago). Being able to go a restaurant, bar, or heck even a bowling alley and knowing I won't come out smelling like an ashtray is something I really enjoy. I'm probably in the minority here though.
    Im with you.

  13. #12
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    It should be up to the business owners on how to run their business...now don't get me wrong, not smelling it or smelling like isn't causing me to complain
    that's my take as well. I just didn't visit establishments where smoking was an issue. Business owner should have the right to set his own rules about smoking ... I can "vote with my feet".
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  14. #13
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,016

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    I just didn't visit establishments where smoking was an issue.
    Which in my summation was just about everywhere you'd go in Ohio, funny how about 25 years ago you could smoke in Krogers whilst you shopped.

  15. #14
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,512

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Which in my summation was just about everywhere you'd go in Ohio, funny how about 25 years ago you could smoke in Krogers whilst you shopped.
    I can't even imagine that

    Some of that may have been around when I was little, but I don't remember it.

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,187

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    I favor creating designated smoking areas in businesses who wish to have smokers. I think these areas should be strictly enforced though. I'm used to smokers, but most of the smokers I know have the decency to move away from non smokers or people who are negatively affected by smoke. I get some pretty bad sinus symptoms around smoke when my allergies are flaring up. It does make me pretty angry when someone lights up without even considering the affect it has on people around them. If I'm in a smoking area, its my problem. When its somewhere that is heavily used by the general public, its pretty frustrating. For instance, we were at the Reds game for the BoSox series. There were a couple smokers upset that they weren't allowed to smoke in the concourse and complained the whole game about how its their "right" to smoke when and where they want. As soon as the crowd was out the gate, they lit up. There were hundreds of people, including children around... but its their "right" to smoke I guess. Just have some courtesy is all I ask.

    Most smokers have that courtesy, some don't. Thats why the ban was enacted in the first place. I also think that a smoking ban is a way for some groups to try and force people to stop smoking. I don't like that part of it, but I do like to be able to bowl without sinus headaches.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25