Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 72

Thread: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

  1. #16
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,237

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    For the time being Missouri has a pretty even handed smoking law. Bars and restaurants get to choose their preference. Some communities have tighter standards but a smoker can drive a few minutes and find a place that allows smoking. I'd say restaurants are two-thirds non smoking, but a couple of places have spent money to make smoking areas that work well. Ryan's, a buffet style restaurant, has a glass partitioned smoking area with large ceiling ventilators that pull out the smoke quickly. You can sit outside the glass in th non smoking area and not smell anything. Signs on the wall inform you that you service will be by "tobacco choice" employees and their availibility (or not) may affect your service. Since its a "grab your plate and serve yourself" buffet I don't see it as an issue. Tipping to have someone say Hi and bring you hot rolls is a pain anyway. So in two strokes they quell both primary issues. Second hand smoke and employees subjected to it.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Something clever pahster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    1,905

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    For the time being Missouri has a pretty even handed smoking law. Bars and restaurants get to choose their preference. Some communities have tighter standards but a smoker can drive a few minutes and find a place that allows smoking. I'd say restaurants are two-thirds non smoking, but a couple of places have spent money to make smoking areas that work well. Ryan's, a buffet style restaurant, has a glass partitioned smoking area with large ceiling ventilators that pull out the smoke quickly. You can sit outside the glass in th non smoking area and not smell anything. Signs on the wall inform you that you service will be by "tobacco choice" employees and their availibility (or not) may affect your service. Since its a "grab your plate and serve yourself" buffet I don't see it as an issue. Tipping to have someone say Hi and bring you hot rolls is a pain anyway. So in two strokes they quell both primary issues. Second hand smoke and employees subjected to it.
    Yeah, in Columbia smoking is banned in all bars and restaurants. It has also been banned on campus fairly recently. Fine with; if I'm exposed to too much second hand smoke I get ear infections that are so severe that I start to bleed. UNC also has a smoke free campus, which will be a minor plus for me when I move out there in a month.

  4. #18
    Member TeamCasey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    TeamBoone's Attic
    Posts
    12,317

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    They won't let you leave to smoke at GABP either. In fact, there's no where at the stadium where you can smoke now.
    That's where they just went too far.

    I've always thought it should be up to the bar owners. Let the market decide. There was never any law that said a business couldn't be smoke-free if it wanted to be.

    That said .... I've never had an issue going outside. I think the stadium should have places for smokers to go. I also think bars with an open patio should open it to smokers if they choose to.

  5. #19
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,475

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    It should be up to the business owners on how to run their business...now don't get me wrong, not smelling it or smelling like isn't causing me to complain

    Yeah, Mike McConnell had a bad day yesterday and I wish I could have called in to straighten him out on this and his legalizing drugs topic.

    As for the smoking ban the problem you're not addressing is the health hazard to the workers. It's not about the comforts of non smokers or infringing on the rights of owners.

    Like it or not we live in an era of OSHA and other regulations that prohibit an unsafe work environment. You can't knowingly have your employee work in a carcinogenic environment. For example if you knowingly had Aesbestos in your building the gov't would require you to remove it. You would not have the option of asking your employee to sign a waiver acknowledging the danger. Ditto for radon or other airborne things that cause cancer. That's why the one exception currently in the law is for businesses who have non paid employees because technically those people are not "employed".

    As for the drug issue I'd love the chance to tear him apart...

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    175

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    I love the smoking ban.

  7. #21
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,501

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Yeah, Mike McConnell had a bad day yesterday and I wish I could have called in to straighten him out on this and his legalizing drugs topic.

    As for the smoking ban the problem you're not addressing is the health hazard to the workers. It's not about the comforts of non smokers or infringing on the rights of owners.

    Like it or not we live in an era of OSHA and other regulations that prohibit an unsafe work environment. You can't knowingly have your employee work in a carcinogenic environment. For example if you knowingly had Aesbestos in your building the gov't would require you to remove it. You would not have the option of asking your employee to sign a waiver acknowledging the danger. Ditto for radon or other airborne things that cause cancer. That's why the one exception currently in the law is for businesses who have non paid employees because technically those people are not "employed".

    As for the drug issue I'd love the chance to tear him apart...

    Shoot him an email....he's out until Monday, but he may address it upon his return

    midday@700wlw.com
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 06-26-2008 at 09:59 AM.

  8. #22
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,429

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    My parents in Ohio have an acquaintance who owns a bar. He noticed a drop of >50% in his business when the smoking ban went into effect and that business has yet to come back. If things don't improve, he plans to close his bar for good at the end of the year. He claims that his former customers who smoke now gather at each others' homes to drink and smoke.

    If his example is typical, the smoking ban is likely to reduce the number of bars in Ohio, but it's probably a boon for carry-out beer/liquor sales.
    /r/reds

  9. #23
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,501

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    His example, sadly is typical. Bar business is hurting...the bar down the street from me opened a pizza joint, replaced the pool table room with an eating room, and basically changed the bar to a pizza place that happens to have a bar.

    It's worked....and he doesn't stay open until 2 am anymore unless it's a Friday or a Saturday...most weeknights, the place has emptied out by 9 or 10, and he shuts down at 11...every once in a while, usually Thursdays, it'll be a bit more bar-ish, and he'll stay open until 12 or 1.

    The restaurant business probably hasn't been effected, at least in a negative fashion. People have to eat!

    I miss the bar...but it's still close and the beer is reasonably priced...pizza's tasty, too!
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 06-26-2008 at 04:41 PM.

  10. #24
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,509

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce4HOF View Post
    I love the smoking ban.
    Me too WilyMo
    Go Gators!

  11. #25
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,561

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

    As for the smoking ban the problem you're not addressing is the health hazard to the workers. It's not about the comforts of non smokers or infringing on the rights of owners.
    Most of the bar employees I know smoked. Hell, at the Waffle House I frequent everyone who works there smokes. If you're a non-smoker, you have a choice not to work at an establishment that allows smoking. Nobody holds a gun to your head and tells you where to work. Not yet anyway.
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

    If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

  12. #26
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,038

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    I voted against the ban and I'd vote against it again if given the chance. That said, I do enjoy going to a bar more now than before the ban.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  13. #27
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,028

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    My parents in Ohio have an acquaintance who owns a bar. He noticed a drop of >50% in his business when the smoking ban went into effect and that business has yet to come back. If things don't improve, he plans to close his bar for good at the end of the year. He claims that his former customers who smoke now gather at each others' homes to drink and smoke.

    If his example is typical, the smoking ban is likely to reduce the number of bars in Ohio, but it's probably a boon for carry-out beer/liquor sales.
    Does the drop off in business have anything to do with the economic downturn? I am not saying that the smoking hasn't hurt but I the economy struggling hurts. I have noticed that with my friends we don't go to the bars as much as we used to. We are all non smokers and love the smoking ban. However we have gotten into a habit of heading to a friends house to grill out and drink beer. If I head to a bar with my fiance, who doesn't drink much, I will end up dropping around $50 on food and alcohol. The economy has yet to really effect us but at the same time $50 is a tank full of gas.

    The leaving the decision up to the owners is an interesting example but there are reasons the government regulates businesses. Business owners often look at the bottom line as the key element and not the well being of an individual. A business owner would work an employee max hours and not pay them overtime if they could. But there are reasons there are labor laws in place. I know that is a pretty weak example but I still think that given a chance the owner looks out more for the bottom line than the well being of their employees.

  14. #28
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,561

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

    The leaving the decision up to the owners is an interesting example but there are reasons the government regulates businesses. Business owners often look at the bottom line as the key element and not the well being of an individual. A business owner would work an employee max hours and not pay them overtime if they could. But there are reasons there are labor laws in place. I know that is a pretty weak example but I still think that given a chance the owner looks out more for the bottom line than the well being of their employees.
    I'd rather allow the individual to look out for the individual, but I guess that's not an option.
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

    If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

  15. #29
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,454

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    His example, sadly is typical. Bar business is hurting...the bar down the street from me opened a pizza joint, replaced the pool table room with an eating room, and basically changed the bar to a pizza place that happens to have a bar.

    It's worked....and he doesn't stay open until 2 am anymore unless it's a Friday or a Saturday...most weeknights, the place has emptied out by 9 or 10, and he shuts down at 11...every once in a while, usually Thursdays, it'll be a bit more bar-ish, and he'll stay open until 12 or 1.

    The restaurant business probably hasn't been effected, at least in a negative fashion. People have to eat!

    I miss the bar...but it's still close and the beer is reasonably priced...pizza's tasty, too!
    Voila, the market works. Adapt or go out of business.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  16. #30
    Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Hamilton, Ohio
    Posts
    8,381

    Re: An ease to Ohio's smoking ban proposed...

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Does the drop off in business have anything to do with the economic downturn? I am not saying that the smoking hasn't hurt but I the economy struggling hurts. I have noticed that with my friends we don't go to the bars as much as we used to. We are all non smokers and love the smoking ban. However we have gotten into a habit of heading to a friends house to grill out and drink beer. If I head to a bar with my fiance, who doesn't drink much, I will end up dropping around $50 on food and alcohol. The economy has yet to really effect us but at the same time $50 is a tank full of gas.

    The leaving the decision up to the owners is an interesting example but there are reasons the government regulates businesses. Business owners often look at the bottom line as the key element and not the well being of an individual. A business owner would work an employee max hours and not pay them overtime if they could. But there are reasons there are labor laws in place. I know that is a pretty weak example but I still think that given a chance the owner looks out more for the bottom line than the well being of their employees.
    Good point... Not a smoker, but I don't eat out that much now and have pretty much stopped eating lunch out at work - saves gas and time.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 3-4
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 1-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25