Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fan of musical festivals?

Fan of musical festivals?

I'm a bit younger than most of the Redszone crowd, so I don't think I've had as many experiences as some of you may have. I'm thinking about making the trip up next month to Pitchfork, which would be my first music festival.

Has anybody here had any noteworthy festival experiences or tips to share?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fan of musical festivals?

Bring a empty water bottle and sunscreen

Tell everyone your dad was at this one:

I liked this one myself

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Bring a empty water bottle and sunscreen

Tell everyone your dad was at this one:

I liked this one myself

Was at Lollapalooza 92 at Riverbend. Pearl Jam was the 2nd act that day

1970 Goose Lake MI, brown acid, man.

And Crosley Field, 1970, couldn't find a poster, Midsummers Rock Festival, I was in the crowd there somewhere... Iggy Pop, TV Eye and peanut butter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD_XCECbAEU
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I go to the Beale Street Music Festival every May in Memphis, TN....4 stages, over 60 bands (different styles) and tickets are around $70!!

Plus, you have the Memphis bar scene which is outstanding.

This is one we were talking about yesterday.

http://www.bumbershoot.org/

Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Damn Hippies!

I was at Bonnaroo last year and it was amazing. They walk a fine line between creating a free utopia and being outright wreckless. But I had a blast and the music was really perfect.

I go to Lollapalooza ever year and its a great time as well. Music is unreal and the urban siting makes it great for after the music is over. Grant park is always a good place to be the first weekend in August.

Pitchfork - I am probably going this year to see Vampire Weekend before I completely want to stab my eyes from the enormous hype surrounding them. I have friends that go every year and its probably as good of a deal for a festival. I don't really care for their reviews (Pitchfork Media is incredibly pompus and constantly suck up to the bands that play their shows) but they put together a good festival and in a good setting as well.

I was also going to go Rothbury this year, however it was mighty expensive and I didn't like the mid level bands.

Next year I am finally going to Coachella. I will be 28 and if I wait much longer I will probably never go.

Festivals are the best. Remember to take a small notepad and jot a few notes down to remember things about the sets you see. After 3 days of the music party you are lucky to remember anything.

After 3 days of the music party you are lucky to remember anything.
    There Was A Stage And A Piet Up In Western Massachuttes,
    And The Kids Came From Miles Around To Get Messed Up On The Music.
    And She Drove Down From Boden With A Carload Of Girlfriends,
    To Meet Some Boys And Maybe Eat Some Mushrooms
    And They Did And She Got Sick
    And Now She's Pinned And Way Too Shaky.
    She Don't Wanna Tell The Doctor Everything She's Taken
    The Paramedics Hovered Over Her Like A Somber Mourning Family
    They Gave Her Activating Charcoal, They Flooded Her With Saline

Her: "I Got Really Hot And Then I Came To In The Chillout Tent, They Gave Me Oranges And Cigarettes."

He Was Rough Around The Edges:
    He'd Been To School, But Never Finished,
    He'd Been To Jail, But Never Prison.
    It Was His First Day Off In Forever, Man
    The Festival Seemed Like A Pretty Good Plan,
    Cruise Some Chicks And Get A Sun-Tan.
    And His Friend Gave Him Four, But Said Only Take One,
    But Then He Got Bored And Ended Up Taking All Four.
    Ah, So Now My Man Ain't That Bored Anyways,
    The Paramedics Found Him: He Was Shaking On The Side Of The Stage.

Him: "Everything Was Spinning And I Came To In The Chillout Tent,They Gave Me Oranges And Cigarettes."

Her: "I Got Really Hot And Then I Came To In The Chillout Tent"

Both: "They Gave Us Oranges And Cigarettes."

I went to Camp Bisco last year. Not sure if anybody is a fan of the Disco Biscuits on this site (doubt it), but them being a jam band and all sure made it a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    I went to Camp Bisco last year. Not sure if anybody is a fan of the Disco Biscuits on this site (doubt it), but them being a jam band and all sure made it a blast.
    I've seen the Disco Biscuits a few times, and their shows are a blast. I've never been to Camp Bisco, but I used to be pretty close to a few of the guys in Umphrey's and they always had good things to say about that festival.
    Last edited by EddieMilner; 06-26-2008 at 10:17 AM. Reason: its their not there

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I've heard of the Disco Buscuits, but don't think I've heard them...but being a fan of jam bands, I'd like to give them a listen at some point...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I've heard of the Disco Buscuits, but don't think I've heard them...but being a fan of jam bands, I'd like to give them a listen at some point...
    They are a good time. definitely check em out. As for really good jam band festivals 10,000 Lakes up in Minnesota is supposed to be where its at.

I've sorta left the jam band scene in the last 3 or 4 years towards more indie rock.

My issue with that scene (for the most part) is that the studio recordings are usually nowhere near the live performances and/or the tracks last forever. When I sit down to listen to a record, its nice to have it change up every 4 or 5 minutes.

On the other hand though, when I stopped going to jam band shows and started going to indie rock shows, I would complain about the short sets. It took a few shows to realize that the 2, 3, and 4 hour shows are pretty much just a jam band scene thing. And I do miss that.

On the other hand though, when I stopped going to jam band shows and started going to indie rock shows, I would complain about the short sets. It took a few shows to realize that the 2, 3, and 4 hour shows are pretty much just a jam band scene thing. And I do miss that.
    Yes, it was always hard to go from a dead show mindset to something with say, Pavement or The Archers of Loaf. By the time you were going home you're just starting to get going.

Turn Off Ads?