Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hamilton Hurts Knee, Leaves Game

Hamilton Hurts Knee, Leaves Game

Not sure of the severity of his injury but it is an injury to Hamilton which everybody has thought would happen...too bad.

Read it here
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hamilton Hurts Knee, Leaves Game

Knee inflammation. According to the article he's listed as day-to-day.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Glad it's not overly serious, the man is on a roll and I'd like to see him put together the full season.

GL

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Hamilton's wife is hot.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    Not sure of the severity of his injury but it is an injury to Hamilton which everybody has thought would happen...too bad.

Read it here

I don't think it's fair to say everyone thought it would happen. Any player could leave a game due to knee inflammation. Until more comes of this we have to assume it's a typical run of the mill injury to an everyday player.

Pujols, Furcal, Pena, Hernandez, Peavy, Keppinger, Hairston, Byrnes, Hawpe, Harden, and now Hamilton..... my fantasy team is just cursed. Absolutely cursed.

I would take 76 RBI's day to day right now.

Gosh, if Hamilton could have just stayed away from the drugs, he might be half way to the HOF by now.

He would also be one of my favorite players.....he is anyway I guess.

Love having Volquez, but man, to have Dunn, Bruce and Hamilton as the Reds outfield for the next few years would ahve been really great.

Anyway, a weak substitute, but a substitute nonetheless, is Volquez, Cueto and Thompson in a rotation with Harang. If Bailey could just get fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    I would take 76 RBI's day to day right now.

Gosh, if Hamilton could have just stayed away from the drugs, he might be half way to the HOF by now.

He would also be one of my favorite players.....he is anyway I guess.

Love having Volquez, but man, to have Dunn, Bruce and Hamilton as the Reds outfield for the next few years would ahve been really great.

Anyway, a weak substitute, but a substitute nonetheless, is Volquez, Cueto and Thompson in a rotation with Harang. If Bailey could just get fixed.
    Excuse me for bursting the bubble a bit, but like Johnny Cueto before him, Thompson is not going to be lights out every time out. I know. Volquez is the execption in all of this, but the talk on this board is Cy Young-like. Not so. He faced a Yankee team who had never seen him and he did well, albeit with a pitch count of 96 and 4 walks. Eight base runners in 5 innings is usually a recipe for disaster, but he was in and out of trouble during that five innings and the offense showed up as well as this offense can. That is to say, a little.

Compare that to Johnny Cueto's performance in the same amount of innings and you get the picture. He allowed 4 hits, one run, and no walks. He also struck out 7. He's improved. I predict rough times for Mr. Thompson, but a bright future.

Back to the Hamilton issue. I miss Josh Hamilton. Despite his weird assertations lately that Jesus (or God, I forget which) told him in a dream to change agents, we could use that bat on a team that is offensively challenged. The question that has to be asked is if the added firepower would negate the performance of Edinson Volquez. There is no absolute answer, but Volquez can only pitch once every five days and Josh would play every day (now I sound like George Grande using first names). I'd take that bat every day if I could and I'd hae tried to send them any number of Reds hitters. That might not have been possible, but as I watch our team sturggle to get 10 hits and 4 runs, I covet his numbers. Pitching is wonderful and gets all kinds of orgasmic comments from the Zone, but there ain't no substitute for runs. You gotta score some to win. The Reds do not score enough runs to win many games no matter what the pitching staff does.
    Last edited by WVRedsFan; 06-25-2008 at 01:48 AM.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Excuse me for bursting the bubble a bit, but like Johnny Cueto before him, Thompson is not going to be lights out every time out. I know. Volquez is the execption in all of this, but the talk on this board is Cy Young-like. Not so. He faced a Yankee team who had never seen him and he did well, albeit with a pitch count of 96 and 4 walks. Eight base runners in 5 innings is usually a recipe for disaster, but he was in and out of trouble during that five innings and the offense showed up as well as this offense can. That is to say, a little.

Compare that to Johnny Cueto's performance in the same amount of innings and you get the picture. He allowed 4 hits, one run, and no walks. He also struck out 7. He's improved. I predict rough times for Mr. Thompson, but a bright future.

Back to the Hamilton issue. I miss Josh Hamilton. Despite his weird assertations lately that Jesus (or God, I forget which) told him in a dream to change agents, we could use that bat on a team that is offensively challenged. The question that has to be asked is if the added firepower would negate the performance of Edinson Volquez. There is no absolute answer, but Volquez can only pitch once every five days and Josh would play every day (now I sound like George Grande using first names). I'd take that bat every day if I could and I'd hae tried to send them any number of Reds hitters. That might not have been possible, but as I watch our team sturggle to get 10 hits and 4 runs, I covet his numbers. Pitching is wonderful and gets all kinds of orgasmic comments from the Zone, but there ain't no substitute for runs. You gotta score some to win. The Reds do not score enough runs to win many games no matter what the pitching staff does.

For the last time, the Rangers came to the Reds about Hamilton. No one else. This trade was great for the Reds, and I would do it 100 out of 100 times. WK turned $50,000 into the most valuable thing you can have in baseball: A young stud starting pitcher. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post

I still think is was a bad trade, but it is hard to argue with 10-2. But Volquez could be another Jack Armstrong. I don't think he is, but man, it could happen.

Fact is though, that somebody did their homework on this one. What Volquez MIGHT turn out to be is a stud.....and they are almost impossible to find. I agree with what you said about Thompson. Cueto's debute was sure a lot better than Thompson's, but I was impressed that he threw hard....and wasn't throwing the ball to the screen.

Having 3 young starters that throw over 93 mph and can get people out is sure a nice start in building a winning team.

I have as much faith in Jocketty as I had in Marvin Lewis. I am anxious about next year and the one beyond.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I just have a feeling that if Krivsky had gotten a little more creative and not in such a hurry to do a deal, he could have landed Volquez and kept most all the "crown jewels" including Josh Hamilton.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I just have a feeling that if Krivsky had gotten a little more creative and not in such a hurry to do a deal, he could have landed Volquez and kept most all the "crown jewels" including Josh Hamilton.
    Nope. Texas wanted Hamilton and Hamilton only. Reds wanted Volquez and held out till Texas agreed to give him up. No other way that deal happens -- GMs have too much at stake to be talked out of what they really want in a deal that has that kind of talent in it.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I hope it's not serious.....the guy is putting up some stupid stupid stupid numbers.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I'm sure if you go to any Rangers board,they are saying that the Rangers GM should have kept Volquez, and substituted Millwood instead, the Reds were so desparate for pitching.

THe Reds couldpossibly have sent Bruce (and maybe others) to get the deal done.

The Rangers did not want Dunn or Griffey. They wanted a great, young cheap hitter to build around. That was Hamilton or Bruce.

Here is an update from FoxSports....
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Turn Off Ads?