Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Hamilton Hurts Knee, Leaves Game

Re: Hamilton Hurts Knee, Leaves Game

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    I am not asking the players not to play 100%, I love effort. I love when a player gets to a ball no one thought he could. when a player is playing heads up and takes a base.

What I don't like though is a player taking unneeded risks, its not only a long season, but also a long game.
    Yeah, I get your point. But at the time, you don't know if its an unneeded risk. Josh may have scored and it ended up a 1-0 win. And the Rangers make the play-offs next fall by 1 game. You never know. And you have to play the game that way. At least if you want to win.

I once heard a basketball huddle break up that went "everyone. all the time". I like that and I think it holds true here.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

I am not asking the players not to play 100%, I love effort. I love when a player gets to a ball no one thought he could. when a player is playing heads up and takes a base.
    What if getting to that ball no one thought he could get to means he has to make a diving attempt? What if "turning it on" to go from 1st to third increases the odds of pulling your hammy? Heck, the opponents should just forfeit any time Aroldis comes into a game. A 105 MPH heater to the head could do serious long term injury, even death.

Its sports, injuries are inherant. I've seen thousands of players slide into home plate and walk away completely find. To hold the belief that an attempt at home w/ no threat of a head first catcher collision is any more dangerous than the thousands of close plays at 2nd, 3rd or home where the player has to slide into the bag to be safe is completely hindsigth. I practically garuntee, if the catcher had reacted half a second slower, and Josh crosses home plate w/ no incident, all the talking heads who said this play was dangerous would have been praising the 3b coach and Josh for being so "heads up"

play aggressive, or go home.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I didn't see any apology there, or the word "sorry" appear at all. Maybe he said that to Anderson behind closed doors, who knows?

The day after the slide, he was still hot at his coach. To the press.
    Yeah I see a bunch of justification there no apology, from someone who is apparently never wrong
    Go Gators!

For a Level Playing Field

How dare you use that condescending voice. I don't know what you're up to but we are trying to have an intelligent debate here.

as for 'baseball' you seem to be looking at the small picture. scoring a run in April is not the same as winning three games in April due to smart baseball. I would like to manufacture runs way more then go all Kamikaze on a team.
    If you interpret it as condescending, then I apologize. I admit that I could have worded it better! I guess I am old-school and DO NOT like the idea of not giving it all on the playing field.

Running into a wall to catch a foul pop is what I call kamikazee. Trying to score a run when no one is covering home plate is not my definition of kamikazee. What happened in that game is not anywhere near an Enos Slaughter type of play. I also hope Josh will learn to not slide head first into home. Of course he could have broken a bone sliding feet first as well, but most people will tell you that the head first slide presents a much greater chance for injury (into any base!).

I call stealing a run smart baseball when a pitcher (not smart!) does not do his job and cover home. As we know that run did not score. But I do not feel that attempting to score a run is ever dumb unless you are out by 20 feet (ala Chris Sabo, sorry Spuds).

OK... if it was not Josh Hamilton, would you have sent any other player in that situation? Or do you hold all runners b/c it is a game in April? I am curious to know.

Time is the Revelator.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    OK... if it was not Josh Hamilton, would you have sent any other player in that situation? Or do you hold all runners b/c it is a game in April? I am curious to know.
    Good point.

I would have sent Ryan Freel or Juan Castro, but would I have sent Joey Votto? I don't think so. That's just my opinion. I also take into consideration the month and the inning.

This is a tough issue. I love the hard nosed leave it all out on the field type play, but you have to be smart about it, IE: if you're going to do it, don't do it head first!

Hardball Talk: Josh Hamilton was disliked by “pretty much everyone” while playing for the Reds

Wrote about many times. Other players didnt like him. Pretty much everyone, had a big-league attitude without having played in bigs, personal coach issue.
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...g-for-the-reds

That's the harshest I've seen it written about that.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Considering that entire little article from Hardball Talk was based on one tweet from Fay...I'm not going to put much stock in it.

He (Fay) mentioned this topic in his on-line chat today too.
    johnfay:
    Jocketty was on board yet when the Hamilton trade was made. The Reds took a risk with Volquez and the Rangers took a risk with Hamilton. Hamilton was not a popular guy in the Reds clubhouse.

"Where are they now" the big question on all those high character clubhouse guys in 2011 that didn't like Josh Hamilton in 2007.

If it was true, it says a lot more about those guys that it does Josh Hamilton.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

It was pretty obvious everyone's thoughts on Hamilton when he was here.

I remember Phillips being ripped (shockingly) on here when he voiced his opinion on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?