Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cozart stands out, the scouts say

Cozart stands out, the scouts say

Cozart stands out, the scouts say

By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

DAYTON — Several scouts are visiting Fifth Third Field this week, writing reports not only on the Dragons but on players from the teams the Dragons are playing.

It's so the major-league franchises have an idea of who to throw in or ask for on the bottom end of a major-league trade. (For instance, pitcher Daryl Thompson was the minor-league throw-in by Washington in the trade with the Reds two years ago.)

"I don't mind doing reports on the prospects," one scout said. "But we have to do a report on every player, even if he isn't a prospect. You have to come up with a lot of ways to say a guy can't play."

Just so you'll know, most of the scouts like Dragons shortstop Zack Cozart the best.

Reds exec visits

Paul Pierson, Reds assistant director of player development, has also attended the past two games. He wouldn't say if the Reds are planning to send the Dragons any more pitchers, even though they're close to a team record. The Dragons have used 24 pitchers so far. Two years ago, they set a franchise record of 33.

Chicken fowls out

The San Diego Chicken made a fifth-inning appearance before being told by the public-address announcer he had the wrong day. The Chicken is supposed to do his between-innings show tonight. He did spend the rest of Tuesday's game signing autographs on the concourse.

Quick recovery

Starter Kyle Lotzkar is going to be given some slack by his coaches because he's only 18, but he has had a rough start with the Dragons.

Chosen in the supplemental part of the first round last summer by the Reds in the draft, Lotzkar pitched with rookie teams in Sarasota and Billings, compiling an overall 0-2 record with a 3.10 ERA. He began this season at extended spring training, partly because he was experiencing neck soreness.

Tuesday night might have been his best outing, although it doesn't look like it with four runs scored on him in the first inning. Three of them were unearned.

Lotzkar, whose ERA was 9.00 after two previous starts with the Dragons, allowed a double to leadoff batter Evan Frey of South Bend when Dragons pitching coach Doug Bair paid him a visit. Lotzkar then recorded an out, walked a batter and appeared to be out of trouble on a bouncer hit to third baseman Brandon Waring.

Only problem was, Waring dropped the ball, a potential double play, allowing a run to score. One out later, Derrick Walker clobbered a Lotzkar pitch to the top of the left field concession stand.

After that, Lotzkar was fine, allowing only one more hit and walking two (all in the second), while striking out six in five innings.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...gonsnotes.html

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: Cozart stands out, the scouts say

Cozart's a light hitting version of Paul Janish.

Wish him luck but not exactly the Reds SS of the future.

I wouldn't be so sure. He came out of college with a better offensive rep than Janish had, and he had some shoulder problems last year that may have hindered him at the plate. The power he's shown this year indicates he's got more pop than Janish. Not saying he's a plus hitter, but I suspect he's better than Janish. And the glove is supposed to be very good.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post

Wish him luck but not exactly the Reds SS of the future.
    I disagree completely. For the record, Cozart's defense is more highly regarded than Janish, and coming into 2008, Janish had slugged over .385 just once in his career. Meanwhile, Cozart is in his first full year of professional baseball and OPSing at .792 while showing a surprising amount of power. Cozart's BB/K numbers are less-than-desireable, but they're far from pathetic. I'd go as so far as to say that Cozart is the Reds' shortstop of the future, and I consider Janish as no more than a role player.

sounds like the original headline was "Cozart Sucks the Least, the scouts say"

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    sounds like the original headline was "Cozart Sucks the Least, the scouts say"
    My thinking exactly.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I'd go as so far as to say that Cozart is the Reds' shortstop of the future, and I consider Janish as no more than a role player.
    This is the first thing that crossed my mind when I read that sentence:

I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

"A light-hitting version of Paul Janish"???

You could have just said he's like Paul Janish. (Not that I think that would be accurate. But that's like saying a pitcher is like Eric Milton, only he gives up a lot of HRs.)

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

And Cozart was a second-round pick, Janish was a fifth-rounder. Obviously one of them was higher-rated coming out of college... and it was Cozart.

Turn Off Ads?