Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hairston set to return from disabled list

Hairston set to return from disabled list

Hairston set to return from disabled list
    Veteran will likely join Reds in Toronto on Thursday
    By Brandon Harris / MLB.com

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Jerry Hairston Jr. will rejoin the Reds for Thursday's series finale at Toronto after he completed a rehab assignment at Triple-A Louisville.

Hairston spent three games at Louisville rehabbing a broken left thumb he sustained while stealing a base against the Marlins on June 9. After he went 1-for-3 on Wednesday, he was taken out in the fourth inning of Louisville's game vs. Rochester in anticipation of his activation from the 15-day disabled list.

The move isn't likely to be made official until Thursday. It's possible that slumping rookie shortstop Paul Janish could be sent down. Another possiblity is third baseman Edwin Encarnacion could be put on the DL if his lower back spasms don't improve.

Hairston went 4-for-12 with a double, two runs scored and a strikeout during his rehab stint. He played shortstop on Monday and Tuesday before he moved to center field on Wednesday.

"[Reds manager] Dusty [Baker] is the one who set up his schedule," Louisville manager Rick Sweet said. "Dusty wanted him at shortstop for two games and in center field for one."

Hairston is one of five players to start at shortstop for the Reds this season and filled in strongly after Alex Gonzalez and Jeff Keppinger, Cincinnati's No. 1 and No. 2 options at the position, went down with injuries. Keppinger returned from the DL on Sunday.

Hairston is batting .336 with one home run and 14 RBIs in 40 games -- including 22 starts at shortstop -- with the Reds this season.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Hairston set to return from disabled list

I never, ever thought I would be so happy to see Jerry Hairston, Jr return from the DL??

What a weird season this has become!
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I never, ever thought I would be so happy to see Jerry Hairston, Jr return from the DL??

What a weird season this has become!
    I'm afraid the injury is gonna kind of end his hot streak though.

Pack your bags NoHo.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Keppinger, Hopper, and Hairston healty gives this team a much better bench and better contact in the line-up....

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfan View Post
    Keppinger, Hopper, and Hairston healty gives this team a much better bench and better contact in the line-up....
    You think they'll send Janish down instead of Hopper?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    They should. Janish has no business on a MLB roster at this point in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    D doesn't seem to be a priority around here so I think it's a sure thing he'll go down.
    Go Gators!

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    D doesn't seem to be a priority around here so I think it's a sure thing he'll go down.
    Chicks don't dig the light-hitting shortstop

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I think it's Janish that goes....but CP wouldn't upset me

It's also entirely possible they DL EE if he's not progressing quickly enough.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Here's hoping today's line-up has Hairston in CF and leading off and Keppinger still in at shortstop.

I've been shocked at how well Hairston(aka Harriston) and Keppinger have played at short...Janish is clearly the best defender we have at this point but given the offensive struggles I'd lose him. As for Patterson he's also shocked me 'cause even though he does really suck I always had an idea that he was kinda indifferent to the game but lately it's become obvious that he really is putting out the effort(running out those fungo's he hits, etc..)and hopefully one day he'll figure it out. If he can learn to get on coupled with his D he'd be just what the doctor ordered. Don't get much past me, huh?

Sending down Janish instead of Hopper is idiotic. I hope that isn't the choice.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Sending down Janish instead of Hopper is idiotic. I hope that isn't the choice.
    Janish will go. After all, Ross, Valentin, and Bako can all back up at SS. They play catcher, and are used to balls in the dirt.

Turn Off Ads?