Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Is Arroyo headed to the Yankees?

Rumor: Is Arroyo headed to the Yankees?

The calls started just after Chien-Ming Wang was hurt last week in Houston - Bronson Arroyo's friends jamming his cell phone, wondering if he's going to be the Yankees' midseason rotation fix. "Trade rumors," Arroyo said Sunday. "I know this is probably my best year in my whole career to be traded - we're not playing our best ball and my salary (nearly) triples next year. Me and (fellow starter Aaron) Harang, both. "If we're not winning, it all depends on the owner of the club. How long do you want to ride something and see if you're going to win or do you pull out the big-dollar guys and do something?"

New York Daily News

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rumor: Is Arroyo headed to the Yankees?

What would we ask for and what would we get?

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG View Post
    What would we ask for and what would we get?
    Well if we ask for cash=no problemo
    If we ask for propects=? the Yanks tend to over rate their prospects(see Claussen)buyer beware.
    Last edited by Fullboat; 06-23-2008 at 01:44 PM.
    The Hunt for a Reds October.

There is more to this story where Arroyo makes some very interesting comments.

While Arroyo sounds like he's on the fence about possibly coming to New York, he paid Yankees owner George Steinbrenner a compliment Sunday while noting that baseball owners are generally businessmen first.

"I don't know a lot of the other owners, but in my estimation, the only guy who didn't (care) about making money is Steinbrenner," Arroyo said. "He feels like at all costs he wants to win the World Series. When I look at John Henry and those guys in Boston, yeah, they want to win, but they're only going to push the salary so far. They want to stay under a certain line, so to me, they're businessmen first and baseball people second."

Arroyo pitched in Boston from 2003-05 and he says he's thought about the possibility of one day being a Yankee, but "it's a double-edged sword for me. When I first got traded, I hated the fact I wasn't going to play in a place that had that kind of rivalry and the expectations. I really liked that.

"But playing here for three years, you kind of settle into that and get comfortable where you live and not having stuff written in the paper about you off the field and not have so much scrutiny. I'll go wherever I go. I can make things work and be happy wherever. I get content in a place. Would I like to play for a contender? Yes. But I'm enjoying myself here."

And, Arroyo says, the Reds have the ingredients to contend. "In this division, we can't be in the cellar with the club we have," he said. "But we're (a long way) out and we have to make a move some time or people will start pulling parts off."

I definitely get the feeling something is brewing. As far as what the Yankees would send, I'm guessing prospects. But, MLBtraderumors.com is saying it might take Melky Cabrera to land a front line starter and the Yankees are not too willing to do so.
    Last edited by Handofdeath; 06-23-2008 at 01:51 PM.

I love reading what Arroyo has to say. I know he angers people at times with his honesty, but he's refreshing to listen to IMO.

I hope Arroyo remains a Red unless we get some real value back. He's a solid 4th or 5th starter, and this team isn't far from being able to contend.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

I understand what he says about Steinbrenner wanting to win at all costs, but it's easy for Steinbrenner to say that. He's got the most tradition-laden franchise in baseball sitting in the top media market in the world. He can say he's not concerned about making money because, frankly, he never has to worry about it. With their TV deal, money will most likely never, ever, be a problem for the Yankees.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Melky Cabrera?? No thanks.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

With how he is hitting so far this season, Robinson Cano would not be out of the question IMO. Slide Phillips over to SS and you've solved your middle infield problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post

"I don't know a lot of the other owners, but in my estimation, the only guy who didn't (care) about making money is Steinbrenner," Arroyo said. "He feels like at all costs he wants to win the World Series."
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Steinbrenner put up something like $5 million of his own money to purchase the Yanks? And isn't that stake worth in the $1 billion range now? Pretty sure that didn't happen not caring about making money.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Steinbrenner put up something like $5 million of his own money to purchase the Yanks? And isn't that stake worth in the $1 billion range now? Pretty sure that didn't happen not caring about making money.
    This thread is supposed to be about Arroyo possibly going to the Yankees, let's not get off track. I will say this, I think what Arroyo means is that to Steinbrenner winning is more important than making money.

I can't see Arroyo getting traded solely due to the JTM commercials. I can't see Harang filling this role in any form. On a more serious note, I like Arroyo and would hate to see him go. But, my perception of him is that he isn't worth 14 million a year if it is true that his salary triples next season. That is a lot of money for "pretty good".

I keep thinking back when the Braves were courting him last year with names like Escobar/Reyes being potential returns. I would LOVE to have Escobar at the top of the order right now.

As for the Yankees return, I want nothing to do with Cabrera...Ian Kennedy would be nice (not sure what else we would have to give them though...Weathers/cathing help would be a nice price to pay).

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    This thread is supposed to be about Arroyo possibly going to the Yankees, let's not get off track. I will say this, I think what Arroyo means is that to Steinbrenner winning is more important than making money.
    I kind of got the impression that BA was saying that Steinbrenner is the only one that would be dumb enough (you all say "able", I say dumb) to pay BA the kind of money he WANTS to make (but doesn't deserve, IMO). We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by aerontg View Post
    I kind of got the impression that BA was saying that Steinbrenner is the only one that would be dumb enough (you all say "able", I say dumb) to pay BA the kind of money he WANTS to make (but doesn't deserve, IMO). We'll see.
    It might be dumb, but the Yankees are starved for starting pitching. Mussina has an ERA just below 4.00 and is 39. Pettitte has an ERA just above 4.00 and is 36. Wang's ERA is also just above 4.00 and K/BB numbers are a little high. Joba is still adjusting to being a starter but is doing OK and Darrell Rasner has been pretty good but has very little experience as a starter. Then you have Ian Kennedy and his 7.41 ERA and Phillip Hughes whose ERA is 9.00. The Yankees have a starting staff that is not very impressive. They may not have a choice but to overpay for Arroyo. He's an innings eater with good K numbers. They could do a lot worse and one gets the impression at times that Arroyo doesn't really like playing in Cincinnati.

What about Cano and Kennedy for Arroyo & ?

Turn Off Ads?