Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thursday June 26th minor league updates

Re: Thursday June 26th minor league updates

Both DSL Reds teams are the only boxscores that have yet to be posted on the milb.com scoreboard. That's how it is every night. Frustrating. Thankfully the DSL website posted the scores earlier.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Dayton won 2-1 in 10 innings on a Zach Cozart walk off homerun.
    That's impossible. One of the 'experts' on this site told me the other day that Zach Cozart is a "light hitting Paul Janish".

I have asked this before but got no answer, when is Tyler Cline's first start?

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    Hopefully a week from never. I don't like that pick at all.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    I've wondered that myself. I bet they are being patient with him and we'll see him in a couple weeks or so. He just turned 18 so I could see them going real slow with him for a while. Then again, he was the fourth-round pick and Krivsky isn't running the show anymore (i.e. babying most minor league prospects).

Doug has postings on his site from people pretty close to Tyler Cline, so maybe he can gather some info. Seemed to be some questions about when he would be graduating, since he was home-schooled.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Hopefully a week from never. I don't like that pick at all.
    When you scouted Cline, what parts of his game specifically did you not like?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    When you scouted Cline, what parts of his game specifically did you not like?
    Well, I'm certainly no scout, but I've read it's a pure projection pick as he's young and chubby, although if he does hit his ceiling he'll be a power pitcher with a fastball in the low to mid 90s. Also, said one scout after the Reds chose Tyler Cline, "What are the Reds doing?"

http://www.thelotd.com/goredlegs/blo...le_over_yonder

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Well, I'm certainly no scout, but I've read it's a pure projection pick as he's young and chubby, although if he does hit his ceiling he'll be a power pitcher with a fastball in the low to mid 90s. Also, said one scout after the Reds chose Tyler Cline, "What are the Reds doing?"

http://www.thelotd.com/goredlegs/blo...le_over_yonder
    And for every single draft pick made in the entire draft you can find a scout who'll say "What the heck are they doing?" For years the Reds have been hounded for not going after enough college guys. Now they do and they get hounded. They get criticized for going too reliever heavy in the draft. They get criticized for Alonso, for Buchholz, for Cline. Everyone not in the draft room can do a better job of drafting than the guys who actually do it. That's the first axiom of draft science. Everyone else can do a better job than whoever is actually doing it. The same blogger above says the Reds needed to go HS starters to load the lower levels with young arms. And exactly what is Cline? And those levels have some pretty fair arms right now ala Ravin, Lotzkar, Astorga, Castro, etc. Another axiom you hear is ignore need and draft the best player available. The Reds had Alonso as that guy, ahead of Smoak and Crow and G Beckham. That's who they drafted and it was obviously NOT a need pick, that much I agree with, but of course, another scout is found who says Alonso is a "bat off the bench". Of course there are just as many scouts who say Smoak has huge holes in his swing and isn't going to be a good gloveman. I guess it depends on the scout and that really is the whole point. The Reds scouts, the guys Buckley listens to, need to be right more often than not. That is what matters. I'm tired of every pick being bashed by some psuedo unnamed scout in sportswriters' blogs who might well come from a team with the worst farm system in the game. Show me the scouts credentials, who is he affiliated with? What is his record overall on players he's touted or ignored or been lukewarm about?

The picks are made. I no longer give a fig who they could have picked. That's just water cooler fodder now - now sign em, develop em and I'll grade things down the road.

Turn Off Ads?