Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else upset???????

Hybrid View

Anybody else upset???????

I am just more upset everyday that we now have the Brain, Walt Jocketty, as our GM but Corey Patterson continues to start games for the Reds.

When will the misery end?
    "Is there a problem officers?"

Re: Anybody else upset???????

Who is the Corey Patterson fellow you talk about?

I wonder why Jocketty keeps Patterson on the team. I don't think Dusty has more pull over Castellini to overule the GM. But at the same time it is the GM's job to step in and tell Dusty that Patterson isn't working and its time to make a change. Patterson isn't the reason the Reds aren't winning but how can you take a manager and an orgainzation seriously if they continue to run Patterson out there expecting to win. Its a slap to the other 8 playes on the field when Patterson is in the lineup and leading off.

when they get a real option to play CF ... or get back to NL play
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

When there are holes in the line up, every additional hole a manager plays foolishly is bad. Dusty can't help some of the hand he's been dealt, but Patterson rests squarely on his shoulders.

Once EE is healthy again, or we go back to the NL, Patterson should see less time everyday.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    I am just more upset everyday that we now have the Brain, Walt Jocketty, as our GM but Corey Patterson continues to start games for the Reds.

When will the misery end?
    Patterson's usage is just a symptom of the organization's system wide disease. I'm upset that this team, after playing .500+ ball for the last 4 months of 2007, is yet again completely unwatchable in June of 2008. Another season completely flushed well before the All-Star Break was even on the horizon. The only slightly compelling aspect of this franchise is the relative youth of virtually all of the meaningful personnel moving forward.

All of the everyday regulars have taken an enormous stride backwards from their previous production under the utterly inept tutelage of Dusty Baker, and Dick Pole has been basically all thumbs with the pitching staff.

It's difficult to be excited about this organization despite the youth and the forever unrealized potential, given that the current manager is on a 3 year deal, the owner is both impetuous in manner and oblivious in understanding, and that the GM moves with the lightning quick reflexes of a glacier.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Patterson's usage is just a symptom of the organization's system wide disease..
    Ok, here was tonight's lineup.. what would you have done?
    Really, the only other option was to put Janish at SS who is a worse bat than Patterson and is not nearly as good of a defender.. In other words, the team is weaker defensively with Janish at SS and Hairston at CF.

Name AVG HR RBI SB
    1. J Hairston Jr., SS .336 1 14 12
    2. A Dunn, LF .220 18 44 1
    3. B Phillips, 2B .274 13 44 14
    4. K Griffey Jr., DH .245 9 34 0
    5. J Votto, 1B .287 12 38 4
    6. J Keppinger, 3B .316 3 21 2
    7. J Bruce, RF .296 4 14 2
    8. C Patterson, CF .191 6 16 10
    9. P Bako, C .226 6 21 0
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Ok, here was tonight's lineup.. what would you have done?
    Really, the only other option was to put Janish at SS who is a worse bat than Patterson and is not nearly as good of a defender.. In other words, the team is weaker defensively with Janish at SS and Hairston at CF.

Name AVG HR RBI SB
    1. J Hairston Jr., SS .336 1 14 12
    2. A Dunn, LF .220 18 44 1
    3. B Phillips, 2B .274 13 44 14
    4. K Griffey Jr., DH .245 9 34 0
    5. J Votto, 1B .287 12 38 4
    6. J Keppinger, 3B .316 3 21 2
    7. J Bruce, RF .296 4 14 2
    8. C Patterson, CF .191 6 16 10
    9. P Bako, C .226 6 21 0
    This is the point....I am not talking about tonight's line up. I am talking about a GM that would allow Patterson to take up a roster spot, hitting .190, rather than bring up Dickerson or make a deal for another fill in.

Patterson is indicative of a disease.

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    This is the point....I am not talking about tonight's line up. I am talking about a GM that would allow Patterson to take up a roster spot, hitting .190, rather than bring up Dickerson or make a deal for another fill in.

Patterson is indicative of a disease.
    Dickerson is likely to be worse than Patterson. Totally overmatched, just like Janish.. That doesn't mean that Patterson is good, but at least Patterson has a small chance to hit. Dickerson and Janish have virtually no chance to hit.

There is really no internal options at this time to replace Patterson. The Reds are going to have to pick up an OF or two for next year, but they are in a sticky spot. Let's say they pick up a starting caliber OF, with the intention of starting him next year.. Unless Jr or Dunn is sent away, there's no where to play him unless you send Bruce to the bench or AAA. I know some will say to bench Jr, but that's just not going to happen.

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Dickerson is likely to be worse than Patterson. Totally overmatched, just like Janish.. That doesn't mean that Patterson is good, but at least Patterson has a small chance to hit. Dickerson and Janish have virtually no chance to hit.

There is really no internal options at this time to replace Patterson. The Reds are going to have to pick up an OF or two for next year, but they are in a sticky spot. Let's say they pick up a starting caliber OF, with the intention of starting him next year.. Unless Jr or Dunn is sent away, there's no where to play him unless you send Bruce to the bench or AAA. I know some will say to bench Jr, but that's just not going to happen.
    Patterson doesn't even have a chance to take a pitch, much less hit. Maybe Dickerson would at least see 4 or 5 pitches an at bat.

Besides, he would be guarenteed to be at least more interesting. I have a better swing than Patterson does. He is an almost guarenteed can-o-corn every time up.

All of the everyday regulars have taken an enormous stride backwards from their previous production under the utterly inept tutelage of Dusty Baker, and Dick Pole has been basically all thumbs with the pitching staff.
    Well it has been moving that way for some time now, I realize that you have pointed that out early on in April/May and that some of the rest of us are coming late to the party. I don't think that Baker can win without the big payroll of the big city market.

Cory Patterson or Norris Hopper? Six of one a half dozen of the other.

I don't really like our choices here, Patterson can play defense and Hopper can bunt.

I wouldn't pay too much for eighther one.

How long is Jocketty going to evaluate before he does something realistic to improve the team? Has he already decided this season is shot? So that he is just going to play the cards that was dealt, while the losing continues?

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    How long is Jocketty going to evaluate before he does something realistic to improve the team? Has he already decided this season is shot? So that he is just going to play the cards that was dealt, while the losing continues?
    I don't know if he has many options (let alone "good" options) at this point in the season.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    The trade market really doesn't heat up until mid-July. Look at historical transactions. It's pretty quite until then.

Has Dunn's no trade clause expired yet? I forget the date it expires, but that might be holding up action too.

Walt did what he could with internal options.. He sent down Patterson until injuries forced Patterson's recall. He brought up Bruce. He brought up Bray (I think that was Walt).. I mean, there's nothing left to shuffle.

I think you will see the big changes in the offseason. Or at least I hope so. It's kind of tough to make moves now. We're pretty much stuck with Wayne's poorly designed roster at this point.

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Patterson's usage is just a symptom of the organization's system wide disease. I'm upset that this team, after playing .500+ ball for the last 4 months of 2007, is yet again completely unwatchable in June of 2008. Another season completely flushed well before the All-Star Break was even on the horizon. The only slightly compelling aspect of this franchise is the relative youth of virtually all of the meaningful personnel moving forward.

It's difficult to be excited about this organization despite the youth and the forever unrealized potential, given that the current manager is on a 3 year deal, the owner is both impetuous in manner and oblivious in understanding, and that the GM moves with the lightning quick reflexes of a glacier.
    What he said.

Turn Off Ads?