Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who will win the 2008 World Series?

Who will win the 2008 World Series?

Here we are just a couple week from the All-Star break and right around 81-82 games played which is the halfway point of the season. We've had plenty of time to judge who the best teams are at this point and see who has the best chance of playing in October. We made our preseason World Series picks back in March but I thought it would be fun to have a chance to redeem ourselves and pick again now and then we can look back in October to see who was right. My preseason pick of the Tigers winning it all over the Mets is looking pretty embarrassing right now.

My picks to win the 2008 World Series are none other than the Tampa Bay Rays. Yeah I said it. The Tampa Bay Rays. It seems like every year an unlikely team ends up in the WS and wins it. Like the DBacks in 2001. The Angels in 2002. The Marlins in 2003. The Cardinals in 2006. The Rockies shockingly made it last year but lost. This year it's going to be the Rays -except they're going to win. And why not? They're currently only one game behind the Red Sox in the AL East (though the Rays have one less loss than the Sox) and lead the Wild Card by four games over the Oakland A's.

The Rays rank sixth in the majors with a team ERA of 3.76 and are third in the majors in Defensive Efficiency. The rotation of Scott Kazmir, James Shields, Matt Garza, Andy Sonnanstine, and Edwin Jackson is among the best in the game (though I would replace one of the latter two with J.P. Howell). Offensively the Rays are 13th in the majors in runs scored but probably could use another big bat. Carlos Pena should be back soon but the Rays could use an upgrade a DH (Adam Dunn?). One thing the Rays have going for them is the strongest farm system in baseball, so they have the prospects to deal for the missing pieces they need.

There it is. I'm going out on a huge limb but I think the Rays will finally escape 10 years of futility in a big way and shock the baseball world by winning the World Series.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who will win the 2008 World Series?

Bold prediction. I'm going to play it safe and say Boston. If the Cubs somehow win I don't know what I'm going to do, because I will have moved out to Chicago by September, and I'm going to go crazy if I have to be around Cubs fans if they win a world series.

The Cubs will win the NL Pennant. This much, unfortunately, I think has the highest odds of happening right now. If they get healthy by September, I'm going to puke.

The baseball ghosts better be scheming some plan to derail and blow that Cubs team up at some point.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Red Sox over the Phils. I simply can't entertain the thought of the Cubs getting to the World Series - it hurts too much.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Angels over Phillies. I actually don't believe the Rays will even make the playoffs.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

DBacks over Red Sox.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Cubs.

Had to get that out of my system...

I almost hope it's the cubs, 90% of their fan base will then disappear to root for some other lovable loser.
    Go Gators!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Tampa Bay
    +

The Rays.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

In the end, the Yankees will overtake the Red Sox for the division title and the Reys will fade. IN the playoffs, the Yankees will make it to the WS.

In the NL, I see nothing stopping the Cubs from winning it all (regardless of how much I hate them and everything else). So a Cubs-Yankees World Series is inevitable (which will please the networks and Sir Bud).

Lou will get his second managerial ring with the Cubs. The man who should still be our manager will win again.

I'm sure that will cause me nightmares as I had to bed, but that's the way I see it.

Pray for me.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

This is the year I see the Yankees missing the playoff. They don't have enough starting pitching IMO.

I really think this is the Cubs year. The stars all seem aligned just right for them. A Cubs/Red Sox WS with the Cubs winning in six games.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    This is the year I see the Yankees missing the playoff. They don't have enough starting pitching IMO.
    Don't be surprised if they buy some in short order.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Just to be different, the Angels beat the Phils.

Turn Off Ads?