Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else upset???????

Anybody else upset???????

I am just more upset everyday that we now have the Brain, Walt Jocketty, as our GM but Corey Patterson continues to start games for the Reds.

When will the misery end?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anybody else upset???????

Who is the Corey Patterson fellow you talk about?

I wonder why Jocketty keeps Patterson on the team. I don't think Dusty has more pull over Castellini to overule the GM. But at the same time it is the GM's job to step in and tell Dusty that Patterson isn't working and its time to make a change. Patterson isn't the reason the Reds aren't winning but how can you take a manager and an orgainzation seriously if they continue to run Patterson out there expecting to win. Its a slap to the other 8 playes on the field when Patterson is in the lineup and leading off.

when they get a real option to play CF ... or get back to NL play

When there are holes in the line up, every additional hole a manager plays foolishly is bad. Dusty can't help some of the hand he's been dealt, but Patterson rests squarely on his shoulders.

Once EE is healthy again, or we go back to the NL, Patterson should see less time everyday.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    I am just more upset everyday that we now have the Brain, Walt Jocketty, as our GM but Corey Patterson continues to start games for the Reds.

Patterson's usage is just a symptom of the organization's system wide disease. I'm upset that this team, after playing .500+ ball for the last 4 months of 2007, is yet again completely unwatchable in June of 2008. Another season completely flushed well before the All-Star Break was even on the horizon. The only slightly compelling aspect of this franchise is the relative youth of virtually all of the meaningful personnel moving forward.

All of the everyday regulars have taken an enormous stride backwards from their previous production under the utterly inept tutelage of Dusty Baker, and Dick Pole has been basically all thumbs with the pitching staff.

It's difficult to be excited about this organization despite the youth and the forever unrealized potential, given that the current manager is on a 3 year deal, the owner is both impetuous in manner and oblivious in understanding, and that the GM moves with the lightning quick reflexes of a glacier.

That ship has sailed. At least he's batting down where he belongs.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I think a big problem is the team has a lot of youth and potential, yet the manager and the front office is mired in the past in terms of their thinking.

5 guys playing out of position...a poorly constructed roster (as it relates to position players) along with a manager that tends to get himself cornered 3 times a week and this is what ya get.

They currently have 5 guys playing a position in which they are over matched defensively and they got 4 guys who are overmatched offensively: and none of them happen to be the same guy.

2 steps forward, 3 steps back.

Are you all saying that our genius GM, in over a month now, has not been able to come up with an alternative to Corey Patterson? I will watch the Reds (already paid all the money) even if they stay in last place, but I am not sure how much longer I am going to watch when I see this klunk's name in the starting line up.

In fact, I have watched about a TOTAL of 3 hours over the last 5 games. Not all of that is on Corey, but most of it is. Just no interest on my part if our GM cannot even spend enough time to find a minor leaguer inside OR outside the organization that can replace this guy.
    Last edited by red-in-la; 06-26-2008 at 11:34 PM.

Gosh guys. Give Walt a chance. Dusty was playing Corey because he thinks, like a lot of people on this board and all over the place, defense is king. If you have a good offense, that may be so, but this team just cannot score runs and especially against anyone who is a little different. Add to that pitchers who can't pitch in different evnironments (and that's to be excused for Volquez the youngster) and you lose.

The only way to keep Dusty from using him is to get rid of him. I think that will happen, but it may take the firing of Baker to get him to straighten up. I've given up on the whole coaching staff. This poorly constructed team is bad enough without having to play an out in center.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post

Jr was the DH, there's a lot of injuries and guys still recovering from injuries.
    Patterson won't start once we get back to NL play unless someone gets hurt.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Patterson's usage is just a symptom of the organization's system wide disease..
    Ok, here was tonight's lineup.. what would you have done?
    Really, the only other option was to put Janish at SS who is a worse bat than Patterson and is not nearly as good of a defender.. In other words, the team is weaker defensively with Janish at SS and Hairston at CF.

Name AVG HR RBI SB
    1. J Hairston Jr., SS .336 1 14 12
    2. A Dunn, LF .220 18 44 1
    3. B Phillips, 2B .274 13 44 14
    4. K Griffey Jr., DH .245 9 34 0
    5. J Votto, 1B .287 12 38 4
    6. J Keppinger, 3B .316 3 21 2
    7. J Bruce, RF .296 4 14 2
    8. C Patterson, CF .191 6 16 10
    9. P Bako, C .226 6 21 0
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Gosh guys. Give Walt a chance. Dusty was playing Corey because he thinks, like a lot of people on this board and all over the place, defense is king.
    I used to think so but Valentin at 3rd base in anything other then a horrible emergency kind of blows that idea up.
    Go Gators!

If Dusty was a defense guy then you wouldn't see Javy Valentin playing third base ever or Jerry Hairston Jr. playing shortstop.

Yeah, you're right. He's a "gut" guy and that gut ain't doing much for us. Did you ever think about where are weaknesses are offensively? Votto looks good at first and Phillips is OK at second (sorry, but he lacks the consistency to be an offensive threat every year). Short is OK with Kepp, but we suffer defensively. Edwin at third is not what I want. He tends to go into long slumps and I'm souring on him. Dunn or Griffey won't be around next year so we'll need two of those, so that leaves us with Bruce and two unknowns. I pray that some genius doesn't think Patteson, Freel, and Hopper can fill in there. Surely not. We need a catcher. Heck, any catcher will do. Someone who can catch the ball and bat .250 against both leftys and righties with power. We need a new bench. Our bench has averages of .237, .225, .224, .220, and .191. How pitiful. Hariston has hit well, but don't expect it to last.

It's a mess. It's hard to worry about defense, when it really doesn't matter. When we score 1, 2, or 3 runs most of the time, we lose. We need some players who can hit and we apparently don't have any now. that should be Walt's main concern as we go forward.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?