Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds rumored to have signed Yorman Rodriguez, the top International position prospect

Re: Reds rumored to have signed top International position player plus scouting repor

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    Wait a minute. Didn't the Rodriguez rumors about already having a team start a while before the Inoa and Reds talk start? If the Reds struck a deal with Yorman a while ago and the Inoa talks started recently then maybe they are still going after Inoa also.
    I imagine they are still going after him, but all indications seem to be pointing to Inoa going to the A's. Hopefully they can pull something out of their hat though.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds rumored to have signed Yorman Rodriguez, the top International position pros

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    That's because you are thinking of Corey Patterson the major leaguer, not Corey Patterson the teenage prospect.

I remember reading a whole lot of Eric Davis and Andruw Jones comparisons for Corey back in 1998-1999. He went 3rd overall for the same reason people are talking up Yorman ... ridiculous athletic tools. Unfortunately, like a lot toolsy prospects, Corey never developed the skills needed to channel those physical tools into production on the field. Yorman poses the same kind of risk.
    All true, but the risk involved in signing a kid like Yorman is just cash. The risk with drafting a player like him high in the first round is much higher, the price might be similar but the opportunity cost is way higher. I like what the Reds have done this year, taking some "sure things" (Alonso, Zach Stewart) in the draft while also picking up some toolsy potential stars like Duran and Rodriguez. I LOVE the new plan of sliding some money into the minor league system.

Re: Reds rumored to have signed top International position player plus scouting repor

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    Wait a minute. Didn't the Rodriguez rumors about already having a team start a while before the Inoa and Reds talk start? If the Reds struck a deal with Yorman a while ago and the Inoa talks started recently then maybe they are still going after Inoa also.
    Yep. The reports of the Reds gaining ground on Michel Inoa came out after the reports of Rodriguez reaching an agreement with a team. My guess is the Reds are still in the race for Inoa but the A's seem to be the favorite at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Yep. The reports of the Reds gaining ground on Michel Inoa came out after the reports of Rodriguez reaching an agreement with a team. My guess is the Reds are still in the race for Inoa but the A's seem to be the favorite at this point.
    That's what I was figuring as well.

Re: Reds rumored to have signed Yorman Rodriguez, the top International position pros

Perhaps the money being spent on Rodriguez is coming out of the budget allocated to pursuing Inoa. Once we capped out, we turned our attention to the next guy on the list.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Where would Duran have ranked on this list?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Where would Duran have ranked on this list?
    Scouts said he was like having the number one overall pick. However Inoa has been described as being a once-in-a-decade type pitcher so my guess is Duran would have been number two behind Inoa.

Scouts said he was like having the number one overall pick. However Inoa has been described as being a once-in-a-decade type pitcher so my guess is Duran would have been number two behind Inoa.
    "Once-in-XXXX" is probably my biggest sports pet peeve. (I know it's not your quote OBM) It seems like there's a once in a decade player every single year.

Greg Maddux, Roger Clemens, Pedro Martinez, Randy Johnson, Tom Glavine, John Smoltz. 6 HOF pitchers who all pitched in the same 2 decade time frame. Now we've Johan Santana, CC Sabathia, Brandon Webb, Felix Hernandez, etc.

It is almost always a gross overstatement.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 06-27-2008 at 06:21 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

One other thing. I remember a quote from Mario Soto saying that Duran was expected to get around five millions dollar in July but the Reds were able to get him for two million since they found a loophole in the rules and were able to sign him earlier. That huge money figure alone tells you how highly thought of Duran was.

That's a great move. It gives us another top 10 prospect, and a guy who would have been a first round pick. If the Reds get Iona too, which is a very big longshot, they would establish themselves as the new, and very rich kid in town down there.

How do you even create a top 10 prospect list with Yorman, if true, and Duran along with the other guys.

in no order:
    Alonso(if signed)
    Fraizer
    Yorman
    Duran
    Mez
    Stubbs
    Valaika
    Stewart
    Roenicke
    Lotzkar
    Cumberland
    Wood
    Fransisco
    Waring
    Rosales
    Maloney
    etc...

it goes on and on and on with prospects any team would LOVE to have....and maybe even Iona!!!!

How long before this guy can suit up for the DSL or VSL Reds?
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

One other thing. I remember a quote from Mario Soto saying that Duran was expected to get around five millions dollar in July but the Reds were able to get him for two million since they found a loophole in the rules and were able to sign him earlier. That huge money figure alone tells you how highly thought of Duran was.
    Why would he have signed for $2MM then? There's something wrong with that story.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Why would he have signed for $2MM then? There's something wrong with that story.
    He may have wanted to sign quicker. I don't know. Maybe Soto was exaggerating but I remember him saying something like that. I'll try to look for the exact quote later.

Sure a wildly swinging 16 yr old is a big risk but I think the greater risk is the 93 MPH throwing 16 yr old (Inoa) .

Turn Off Ads?