Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds rumored to have signed Yorman Rodriguez, the top International position prospect

Re: Reds rumored to have signed Yorman Rodriguez, the top International position pros

Here's the quote from Soto. I was off a little but he still says Duran was looking for five million.

From Fay's blog:

Volquez on Duran

Edinson Volquez has seen Juan Duran play. He watched the 16-year-old outfielder the Reds signed in a tournament the Dominican.

"I saw him hit two two home runs in two at-bats," Volquez said. "I saw him throw from the outfield. Unbelievable. I've never seen someone like that. He's a little skinny right now. But he's going to be really good."

Duran is 6-foot-6, 190 pounds.

Mario Soto has not seen Duran play but he heard all about him.

"In my country, they said he was asking for $5 million," Soto said.

The Reds reportedly got him for $2 million. For their sake, hopefully it will work out better than their last splurge on a Latin American player. They paid Alejandro Diaz $1.6 million in 1999. He never made it above Double-A. What's worse spending all that money on Diaz busted the budget and kept the Reds from signing a guy named Miguel Cabrera.

http://beta.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...ategory=blog07
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Reds rumored to have signed Yorman Rodriguez, the top International position pros

I'm just simply stunned by the job the Reds are doing in the dominican and other latin areas. If the Reds can continue this they can drastically improve thier farm system VERY quickly. Not that it was in a bad state already. *grin*
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Sure a wildly swinging 16 yr old is a big risk but I think the greater risk is the 93 MPH throwing 16 yr old (Inoa) .
    Is it really that much more of a risk than drafting a high school arm or bat in the first round? I mean those kids are 17-18 year old .

Quote Originally Posted by Lockdwn11 View Post
    Is it really that much more of a risk than drafting a high school arm or bat in the first round? I mean those kids are 17-18 year old .
    Yeah, a little bit. High school arms in the first round aren't the risk they once were. They are being protected quite a bit more now than they used to be. As for high school bats in the first round, they aren't generally that unsafe. Now when we get to a 16 year old pitcher and paying them Top 3 money, its a much bigger issue. It would be like drafting a high school junior for starters. How many times is the best HS arm in the country coming into the senior season still the best HS arm in the country at the end of the senior season? Its been a while since its happened.

Doug, have you heard anything else? I saw where you said you were going to send out some emails.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

How many times is the best HS arm in the country coming into the senior season still the best HS arm in the country at the end of the senior season? Its been a while since its happened.
    Yeah, so far as I can remember Beckett was the last HS junior to have very big buzz like that.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Doug, have you heard anything else? I saw where you said you were going to send out some emails.
    Surprisingly I have yet to get an email back from anyone I sent it to yet. Usually two of the guys I emailed get back to me within a few hours, tops.... so maybe they are just busy lately.

I'm searching for some more stuff on Yorman Rodriguez and so far have found this older tidbit on him:

Outfielder Yorman Rodriguez has a lot of buzz in advance of July 2, and several international scouting directors have predicted he could receive the highest bonus in Venezuelan history. Rodriguez’ two best tools are his power and speed, as both grade as 70s on the 20-80 scouting scale.

Rodriguez’ body is different than Dominican outfielder Ezdra Abreu’s (also a July 2 candidate), and he projects to hit for more power. Rodriguez is stocky, strong and athletic where Abreu is taller and wiry strong. Both are certainly names to watch in advance of this summer.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I must say this is awesome. The front office is stepping up big time and I can't help but appreciate the effort and money being put into the scouting dept. under Cast.

Hopefully these signing are a big step in developing a pipeline of sorts.

The only bad thing is we have to wait ~5 years + to see these kids play.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    The only bad thing is we have to wait ~5 years + to see these kids play.
    Or we could go in two years and see them in Dayton.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Or we could go in two years and see them in Dayton.
    I might not be able to afford the gas to drive to Dayton in 2 years
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    I might not be able to afford the gas to drive to Dayton in 2 years
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockdwn11 View Post
    And a lot cheaper than Matsuzaka's posting fee.

It will be even more important to land Rodriguez now that Inoa has signed with the A's. I hope it is true we turned our attention to him after losing out on Inoa.

Turn Off Ads?