Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Reds rumored to have signed Yorman Rodriguez, the top International position prospect

Re: Reds rumored to have signed Yorman Rodriguez, the top International position pros

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Regardless of whether or not Yorman Rodriguez lives up to his billing, the bigger story here, as you've mentioned in this thread, is the changing mentality we're seeing by the Reds to be aggressive in these types of markets. The fact they're willing to spend the money on this kid and threw $5 mil at Inoa is a trend we can't help but love.
    It's interesting to me that teams are finally starting to realize that $5M on huge potential prospects is money better spent than on replacement level relief pitching and no-bat up the middle defenders.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds rumored to have signed Yorman Rodriguez, the top International position pros

The Reds signed Dominican shortstop Junior Arias, a strong, high-waisted athlete.

"He's a good-looking kid," one scout said last week. "He's got good hands, he's a good athlete and he's got good body control. He's a line-drive hitter—it's a short stroke to the ball."

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...08/266438.html

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    It's interesting to me that teams are finally starting to realize that $5M on huge potential prospects is money better spent than on replacement level relief pitching and no-bat up the middle defenders.
    Or even $3 mil spent on a no-hit CF who no one else wanted.

You've gotta love that Arias has a high waist. That certainly bodes well for his future.

ON RODRIGUEZ: There are reports that the Reds have reached an agreement with Yorman Rodriguez, a 15-year-old outfielder from Venezuela.

Jocketty says the Reds are in talks with Rodriguez, who can't sign until he turns 16.

"A lot of clubs are talking to him," Jocketty said. "The Yankees have a pretty strong interest in him."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...351/1071/SPT04

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    ON RODRIGUEZ: There are reports that the Reds have reached an agreement with Yorman Rodriguez, a 15-year-old outfielder from Venezuela.

Jocketty says the Reds are in talks with Rodriguez, who can't sign until he turns 16.

"A lot of clubs are talking to him," Jocketty said. "The Yankees have a pretty strong interest in him."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...351/1071/SPT04
    Sounds to me like Jocketty has a deal in place but is playing coy about it.

Yep. Just like he said he had no idea when the Super 2 date for Jay Bruce was, and then called him up about a day after the date had passed. I hate to count chickens before they hatch, but from all indications it's quite clear that once Yorman turns 16 he'll be a part of the Reds' minor league system.

And I don't think it can be stated enough: you really gotta give credit to Castellini for opening up the checkbook on these international signings. He truly is putting his money where his mouth is when he talks about bringing a winner to Cincinnati.
    Last edited by Screwball; 07-12-2008 at 11:57 AM.

It might be that they're prohibited from saying, or also just as likely, it may do them well to sit on it and not rile up the competition for his services.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Someone just left a comment saying that they have a reliable source that says the Cardinals and Rodriguez have agreed to a 3.3 million dollar deal. Take it for what its worth though.....

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Someone just left a comment saying that they have a reliable source that says the Cardinals and Rodriguez have agreed to a 3.3 million dollar deal. Take it for what its worth though.....
    I'll believe it when I see it.

I just read the comment. Sure smells like pure BS to me. Probably a Cardinal fan.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'll believe it when I see it.
    Thats what I thought too, but its out there now so we will wait and see. For what its worth, the guy was posting from Brooklyn...
    Last edited by dougdirt; 07-12-2008 at 10:18 PM.

Crap, I bet it's true.

Two or three different solid sources have said the Reds have reach an agreement with him. Sounds like a Cardinal fan making up junk IMO.

I hope so.

Turn Off Ads?