Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dusty Baker needs to get off his butt and do some homework.

Dusty Baker needs to get off his butt and do some homework.

Daryl Thompson is only 2 years removed from Major arm surgery and Dusty needs to know that he's only an 85-88 pitch starter right now. The evidence is there if Dusty spent a little time studying it instead of eating himself into an early death.

Just in his last start, his fastball cruises along at 94-95 MPH through the first 85 pitches, then it all of a sudden drops to 91-92 MPH, it loses its bite, and his other pitches lose their effectiveness as well from his changeup to his curveball, etc.

But, Dusty thinks he's just another pitcher and should be able to do the same thing as everyone else. So, instead of replacing him to start the sixth in a 1-0 game, Dusty uses him and the REDS are down 6-0 before it's over while at the same time ruining a good performance by Thompson, probably effecting his confidence, and also threatening to ruin the kid's arm.

Dusty, get a clue, and do some frickin' work for all that jack you're getting paid.

I could do a better job without question.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty Baker needs to get off his butt and do some homework.

Wow, I don't think I have ever heard anyone whine about a manager leaving in a pitcher beyond 85 pitches.

1) The Reds let their rookie league pitchers pitch past 85 pitches.
    2) The game was close, and Thompson was pitching fine.
    3) The bullpen has been taxed lately.
    4) So he lost a few miles off his fastball. That means nothing in term so when to take him out. Every pitching coach will tell you that mechanics is the main factor in deciding to take out a pitcher, especially a young one. Thompson had the same mechanics in the 5th as in every other inning.
    5) My opinion is that unless you are in the dugout and know everything that the pitching coach knows about the circumstance, you have no right to second guess a decision on whether or not to take out a pitcher.

I watched the entire game and I remember Thompson's pitches in his last inning were still hitting around 94 mph. Don't know what you were watching.

Placement was his problem.
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Wow, I don't think I have ever heard anyone whine about a manager leaving in a pitcher beyond 85 pitches.

4) So he lost a few miles off his fastball. That means nothing in term so when to take him out. Every pitching coach will tell you that mechanics is the main factor in deciding to take out a pitcher, especially a young one. Thompson had the same mechanics in the 5th as in every other inning.
    5) My opinion is that unless you are in the dugout and know everything that the pitching coach knows about the circumstance, you have no right to second guess a decision on whether or not to take out a pitcher.
    I think the point is that Thompson still needs a little coddling because of Tommy John surgery.

I think this team has been coddled enough. Someone needs to light a fire under their you know whats.
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

You read nothing of what I wrote.

You're being exactly like Dusty Baker. Every pitcher is different. Thompson has nothing to do with as you say, "the Reds other rookie pitchers that pitch past 85 pitches." "The bullpen was being taxed lately" should have no bearing on whether or not you use Thompson beyond his arm's capabilities. "So he lost a few miles off his fastball has nothing to do with when or why you take him out?"....R U Serious?!

I have every right in the world to question any and every move that's made by the REDS, and I don't need to be in the dugout to figure it out. Maybe you do, but I don't.

Read my lips...Thompson's arm has a pitch limit and that limit is between 85-90 pitches this year. Whether it's more next year, we won't know until after the season and it's had it's rest and we come back and go through another Spring training.

I'll sign you up for the same class that Dusty needs to be in on understanding that each pitcher is different.

I guess you don't get it, either.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-28-2008 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    I watched the entire game and I remember Thompson's pitches in his last inning were still hitting around 94 mph. Don't know what you were watching.

Placement was his problem.
    You can look it up. The last 3 batters he faced, his fastballs were hitting 91-92, and possibly 90....but for the rest of the game they were consistently 94-95.

If a starter can't go 6 innings, then they should be in the bullpen.
    Who's on first?

I think this team has been coddled enough. Someone needs to light a fire under their you know whats.
    Agreed, maybe Ricciardi should have just said the entire reds team doesn't like playing baseball. That is what it seems like when watching them.

If a starter can't go 6 innings, then they should be in the bullpen.
    Last edited by Dunnateher; 06-28-2008 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Pitch count varies with the pups. I agree he should have been lifted. If he was 26 then I say throw count out the window

I meant to add, that the pups need more monitoring than say a 26-27 year old starter. He should have been pulled as the movement of 94+ becomes hittable -3 mph after the 4th. What was his highest pitch count prior? Dusty wrecks arms, please pray that we keep ours intact. Mario Soto for pitching coach or trade Arroyo for Maddux and let him coach. The fire the reds have in young guns needs to be flamed not extinguished.

As I said before, his placement is why he started getting hit. Not his speed. Not much difference between 92 and 94. 97.....yes.
    Who's on first?

It looked to me that he ran out of gas. The inning before he was pulled he gave up a homerun and the other balls were tagged very hard after that HR. I feared he would come back out in the next inning and I yelled at the television to take him out. The television didn't listen and Thompson got nailed. Anyone watching the game could see he was gassed. What that's indicative , I don't know. Could be nervousness, stress, lack of sleep, or poor diet. He appeared to be laboring physically just before he was pulled.

dusty baker has done his homeowrk and the results of that assignment is to declare that patterson is really good

Blame Dusty, everything in the world is Dusty's fault. it has nothing to do with the idiots he has to work with on this team. I remember before the season started, everyone hated Dusty, because he loved veterans, and wouldn't give guys such as votto, bruce, cueto, or volquez shots. Well guess what, they've been in the lineups almost every day, and hatteberg was sent out. I'm so sick of threads ripping Dusty Baker I could puke. There is no way you could construct this pathetic offense to score runs. When you have several games where your team has 3 hits, and pitcher has 1 of them, it makes it pretty tough to construct the lineup to score runs. thats all i really have to say, i'm just sick of it.

Turn Off Ads?