Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What do you want for #600 HR ball?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • $50k-$99k

23 39.66%
  • $100k+

9 15.52%
  • Griffey's package

15 25.86%
  • other (sentimental value, give it to Jr. for free, etc.)

11 18.97%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you want for Griffey's 600 HR ball

What would you want for Griffey's 600 HR ball

I was reading the thread from ORG about the Griffey 600 HR ball and it made me curious. Suppose you caught #600 and decided the ball's fate. What would it take for you to hand it over. Here is Griffey's first offer (from what his agent said):

It includes 10 Griffey memorabilia items, including some game-used articles, items that came from other players and an all-expense paid trip for four people to New York for next month's All-Star break. The three-day, three-night vacation would include tickets to all the Yankee Stadium events, including the All-Star Game and Home Run Derby.

All that stuff is nice but im not budging for at least $50k if I believe I can get that much. Student loans, living expenses, future kids outweigh all the baseball stuff I could want.
    Last edited by keeganbrick; 06-28-2008 at 11:26 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Recovering Cubs Fan

Re: What would you want for Griffey's 600 HR ball

--Reds playoff tickets. For THIS YEAR.
    --Get rid of Dusty. Don't care how.
    --Insist on batting fifth for the rest of the season.
    --Approve any trade, no matter where.

Pick any two of these, and you'll get your precious ball, sir.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

The thought of tens of thousands of dollars would be difficult to turn down. Still, if Griffey wanted the ball, I believe I'd hand it over and ask if a package would be too much trouble. I'd like to have something special added like tickets for a dozen games, being on the field for batting practice, hanging out in Castillini's suite, stuff like that.

I wouldn't give it back to him for free, as i'm an incoming college kid i'd like for him to pay for 4 years of college at UC. I'm sure Griffey would understand that, and maybe i'd get a little bonus for attending his high school alma mater.

I wouldn't give it back, because when i was younger i sent an autograph request, and he didn't reply, so i'd just sell the ball, lol.

I understand he was too busy, but i would need the $, and he should understand that, lol.

That guy who's got the ball is pretty shrewed,he didn't return the call when Goldberg left him the message of the offer.To me that's basically saying he don't want to talk until dollar sign's are involved.It's a win win situation for the guy,either JR pays him a good amount,or Ebay or Sotheby's will.
    Last edited by Jr's Boy; 06-29-2008 at 02:40 AM.

KGJ gets paid millions of dollars a year to play a kids game.

If I caught the ball?

If Griffey wants his trinket, he better make sure he's the highest bidder, I'll put it that way.

I would be insulted at the All-Star package offer. Trying to trade a bunch of crap he can probably comp anyway?

Cracks me up to hear people say "I would just give it to him for a round of golf" or whatever. Are you crazy? Look fine if you don't need or want the money, then sell the ball and donate the cash to charity. But if you trade #600 for a round of golf, then you are giving charity to Ken Griffey Jr.

Who needs charity more? The good cause of your choice, or Ken Griffey Jr? KGJ starts charities, he doesn't need charity. If your man-love is just too great to accept money for the ball, then at least get market value for the ball and then donate it to KGJ's favorite charity.

Highest bidder. Period. Then either decide how you are going to make the world a better place with the loot, or get busy spending yourself.
    Last edited by Fon Duc Tow; 06-29-2008 at 09:13 AM.

If I caught the ball, I would send him a letter explaining my situation. I don't have a lot of money. I would get the ball appraised, and offer him a number short of appraisal value. Say $40,000. If he declines that, the ball would be put up for auction.

I like the package,wish I had known what it was before I voted
    I think his last homer will be worth much more $$$ than #600.

I would hope to get enough to make eventual retirement a possibility instead of spending my senior years as the Wal-Mart greeter, "Hi, Welcome to Wal-Mart! .............................

I would go with the package. I would give it to him for free (I really don't need all that money) but if he's offering to give memorablia for it then I would gladly take that deal.
    3-2 at games this year
    5-9 all time

2010 central division champions

Schnickelfritz

I would just give it to him. It's more important to him than it would be for me.

Here is why I would not auction it off and would take the package.

First I doubt the ball will go for more than $50K, probably around $35-40K.

Second, even if the ball reaches $50K, which I doubt it will, I would not get nearly that much money in the end. The auction hall would get at least 10%, probably closer to 20% so that would lower it to $40-45K. I would have to pay taxes on the final auction price, which would take another 25% out of it. That would mean that I would clear around $30K.

While that seems like a lot, it basically would buy me a new car, or a bunch of cool toys, or let me eat at Montgomery Inn more often, but it really would not change my life that much. I could not get a nicer house, or anything that would last. I most likely would use it to get out of debt (which I would get right back into), and invest the rest. At best that might get a retirement egg of around $100K if I was very wise and very lucky. That would be in 30 years and who knows what $100K will be worth in 30 years.

So basically it would get me some fun for a short while, or a little small bit of financial security. I would much rather get a once in a lifetime opportunity to go the All-Star game and meet my heroes, especially one of my biggest Ken Griffey Jr. I also would be getting 10 other game used items, which I would greatly enjoy.

But that is just me.

wow is all I can say at some of these responses.

But hey, when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. This much we know.

But when life gives you lemonade, apparently you give it to KGJ for comp tickets and some loaded face time.

Wow. I have some swampland in Fla that KGJ may or may not approve of. IM me...

First I doubt the ball will go for more than $50K, probably around $35-40K.

Not a bad score for a piece of rubber and cowhide.

Turn Off Ads?