Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Wouldn't it be funny if.......

Wouldn't it be funny if.......

.....somehow the organization was able to find some trade partners for Dunn and Griffey...............and in the second half, this team turned it around and made it interesting?
    Who's on first?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wouldn't it be funny if.......

Unloading the two guys, getting some youth, and then going on a run, is more plausible then thinking that the current lineup will do anything similar.

I like it.

Considering that this team won't so much as sniff a wild card for the next two years, it would certainly be improbable. I don't know if I'd call it funny.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Making a run at the playoffs is rather unlikely but this could certainly turn the corner going into next year.

The last time the Reds made a strong playoff push was 99 and they did it primarily with youth. Young position players such as Sean Casey, Pokey Reese, Aaron Boone, Mike Cameron, and Dmitri Young led the charge. A core of Joey Votto, BP, Edwin, Keppinger, and Jay Bruce certainly isn't any worse than that group was. If they can move some vets for some outfield help this could suddenly be a very strong lineup.

What sets this team apart from that one is the amount of young talent the Reds currently have in the pitching staff. These guys will only get better.

With the amount of strong young talent the Reds have now they could be a strong team as early as next year. Unloading Griffey and Dunn's salary would be a huge boost in upgrading the rest of the roster.

Dunn has a lot of playing time left in him, he's only 29 or so...

The Phillies did just that in 2006. In July they traded away Abreu, Lidle, Bell, Franklin and Cormier for prospects, called up a bunch of their own prospects, and then palyed .600 ball the rest of the way. They finished just a few games out of the wild card, but then won the division the next year. They were 7 games below .500 when they made those moves. What stands out, is that they got nothing for those players, it was simply a move in a different direction.

So it can be done. I think it is clear that a change of direction would breath some fresh air into this franchise.

My gripe is this.
    Many act as if you either trade a top guy to a contender for "prospects" if you are out of it or visa versa.
    However, why couldnt a team like the reds trade to get that big bat (example) that will help now and later.
    With our starting pitching that will improve with experience, plus Bruce/Votto/etc , this team isnt a long way away.
    Why not acquire the pieces you need for later , now?

Bleeding Red in the South

Quote Originally Posted by rocko View Post
    My gripe is this.
    Many act as if you either trade a top guy to a contender for "prospects" if you are out of it or visa versa.
    However, why couldnt a team like the reds trade to get that big bat (example) that will help now and later.
    With our starting pitching that will improve with experience, plus Bruce/Votto/etc , this team isnt a long way away.
    Why not acquire the pieces you need for later , now?
    I don't see the top level prospects in the system that would bring in a "big bat". Frazier, Stubbs, Mes, etc are all good prospects, but I wouldn't expect them to bring back a game changer in a trade.

If this did happen I wonder who would be next in line as the new reds whipping boy?

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    If this did happen I wonder who would be next in line as the new reds whipping boy?
    EE would get it all instead of 1/3.

Hatteberg is Sean Casey

I don't agree with Dunn, but there is no doubt in my mind or many others that the wins will go up once we get KGJ off of this roster and out of the middle of our lineup.
    "YES! He rips it. Is it high enough? It's gonna be gone! Adam Dunn has done it again. Big #44 can take all day to round the bases here, thats done and gone- lookout dunner they're waitin for ya at home plate." - George Grand

"Did that just happen?" - Chris Welsch

Quote Originally Posted by He got it! View Post
    I don't agree with Dunn, but there is no doubt in my mind or many others that the wins will go up once we get KGJ off of this roster and out of the middle of our lineup.
    I completely agree. Dunn is still a run producer...Jr is not...Dunn does what he does in the 2 or 5 hole. Junior does almost nothing while sitting in a run producers spot.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

WOW.. just WOW.. Dunn was batting right behind griffey and phillips.. not like he was batting 8th or 9th..

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhhorsepoo View Post
    WOW.. just WOW.. Dunn was batting right behind griffey and phillips.. not like he was batting 8th or 9th..
    And he doesn't get pitched to batting behind those guys. Why do you think he's always hit better in the 2nd spot? Do you think maybe its because they actually have to pitch to him? Batting 5th is a big reason Dunn never gets anything to really swing at.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by He got it! View Post
    I couldn't agree more, the losing culture and lax no hustle attitude will leave with Junior. Get him out of here.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Turn Off Ads?