Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No more DH for Reds -- who sits?

Re: No more DH for Reds -- who sits?

Sunday's lineup shows what we need to do against lefties: play EE, Hairston, Kepp, and Phillips. These guys all have good splits against lefties. Valentin should not play, since his numbers against lefties(.100/.182/.200 for an OPS .382 ) are worse than Votto's(.277/.371/.482 for an OPS of .853 ).
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

I see no reason to worry about this as a long-term "problem", with injuries always seeming to play a bigger role than one can ever anticipate. I'd expect Dusty to take it on a night-by-night basis. With Dunn hitting the wall twice, the catcher once and being hit by a pitch twice in yesterday's game, I'm guessing he sits tonight against Maholm, against whom he is 3-22 lifetime (Junior's numbers are slightly better). OF of Hairston, Bruce and Junior, IF of Encarnacion, Keppinger, Phillips and Votto and Ross behind the plate. The key to offensive production in this lineup will likely be Dusty's willingness (or lack thereof) to slide Junior down to 5th or 6th in the order, allowing guys like Phillips and EdE more at-bats against a LHP whom they've had nice success against in the past.

LOOKING AHEAD: So when the Reds get back to National League play, will Keppinger be the go-to shortstop? Or will it be Hairston?

"I'm going to try to use them both," Baker said. "Try to use them both somewhere, you know. But I mean, (Ken) Griffey (Jr.) and (Adam) Dunn have got to play. Bruce is going to play most of the time. (Brandon) Phillips' is going to play most of the time. Edwin's just coming back so I've got to figure out a way to juggle things around.

"Somebody ain't going to be happy about it, but at the same time, we need the best lineup on that day."

Keppinger is "a pretty good hitter" and Hairston is hitting better than he's hit before, Baker said.

"We need (Hairston's) speed in the leadoff position too. Somebody is going to be the odd man out. Depends how Bruce and Votto hit left-handers, too," Baker said.

The good thing is that Hairston has played lots of positions, Baker said.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...806300367/1071

Bruce should be playing all the time with Griffey getting a day or two off a week to rest his legs.

"Keppinger is a very good hitter and Hairston is hitting better than he hit before," Baker added. "But we need Hairston's speed at leadoff, too. Somebody every day is going to be the odd man out. And it depends on how well Jay Bruce and Joey Votto hit lefthanders, although Votto so far has hit lefthanders better than most people his age."

There's another quote from Dusty. I hope to God he doesn't start platooning Bruce and Votto with Jerry Hairston and Jeff Keppinger.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    high OBP (lead off).
    except that it likely won't continue. Hairston has never shown the ability to hit anywhere near that level in the majors and his OBP is BA driven.

I expect to see Dusty move the day off around.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    FWIW, the Reds offense went south without Hairston and he fills two needs -- righty bat and high OBP (lead off). Against lefties, I think it would be a very bad move to sit Hairston. (I would play him against righties too, but that's me.)

Griffey should be the one sitting against lefties most times. He hasn't hit lefties and could use the reduced schedule at this stage. I'm not sure this works politically, but it works baseball wise.

I agree that the good hitting this year by Hairston and Keppinger are pleasant surprises and a good "problem" to have. Right now they have, respectively, .370 and .380 OBPs. That's what the Reds need at the top of the lineup. With Dunn's high OBP I would consider hitting him third. That's how the top of a batting order should work.
    KC,
    Good job, I don't see how you could do any better than the facts your present above. Trying any players with less production than those three just wouldn't make sense, and fill in behind them. At least you are putting your best foot forward at this time. You're trying to do the best you can with what you have to work with, what more can you or Mr. Baker do.

I get the feeling that Dusty has made some adjustments, that he is done with being considerate or dutiful, and has decided to win some ball games.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 06-30-2008 at 01:25 PM.

for tonight it will be Jr ... more than a bit surprising considering Dusty's comments.

With Junior sitting Dunn is batting 3rd tonight.

I like Dusty's lineup tonight....ew, that just didn't feel right to type

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Anybody read C-Trent's blog today. Funny, funny stuff. :O)

Ken Griffey Jr. got what the guys in the clubhouse call a "GSB -- good solid benching." Dusty Baker called it a day off against a tough lefty, Paul Maholm.

Baker didn't see Griffey before the team's meeting that the coaching staff has before every series, so Griffey was asked about why he wasn't playing before he knew.

The first Baker Griffey saw on Monday was Dusty's son, Darren.

Griffey picked Darren up, threw him on the couch in the clubhouse and said, "Why is your dad not playing me today?"

"Because you can't hit lefties," Darren said.

Griffey is hitting .200 against lefties this season with 17 hits in 85 at-bats and two home runs against left-handers.

"I can't hit lefties?" Griffey asked. "How about 1996 when I hit a record 21 homers off lefties?"

"We're not in 1996," Baker said.

"I'm still in 96," Griffey said.

"You're older."

"I'm not older, I'm just better looking."

"You're old."

"How old do you think I am?"

"You're like 50."

"If I'm 50, how old is your dad?"

And that was pretty much it.

When told his son had told Griffey he was 50 and couldn't hit lefties, Dusty Baker said, "He did not." When informed he did, Dusty laughed.
    That is a PRICELESS exchange. *grin*
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 06-30-2008 at 04:54 PM.

[QUOTE=Alex Gonzalez

.[/QUOTE]

Who's that!

I think Darren is telling tales out of school. And I think he heard it from Dad.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by MasonBuzz3 View Post
    I like Dusty's lineup tonight....ew, that just didn't feel right to type
    I love his lineup tonight.

Hope that I did not jinx it by making a positive comment, never know with my keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think Darren is telling tales out of school. And I think he heard it from Dad.
    He is honest too.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 06-30-2008 at 06:54 PM.

Turn Off Ads?