Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trivia question: What MLB team currently has a starting OF...

Trivia question: What MLB team currently has a starting OF...

in which one of the players is hitting .234 and another player hitting .224?
    80% of the earth is covered by water. The other 20% is covered by Eric Davis.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trivia question: What MLB team currently has a starting OF...

The Nationals? Their highest BA in the outfield is .250. 3 are batting below .200. Austin Kearns, the one the Reds needed to make the playoffs, is hitting .187.

The Nationals OFer with the most Runs (Milledge) has scored the exact same number of runs as Griffey. And Griffey has more 2 more RBIs in 30 fewer ABs. Dunn has 16 more RBIs than the top RBI man in the outfield for the Nats.
    Last edited by durl; 06-30-2008 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    The Nationals? Their highest BA in the outfield is .250. 3 are batting below .200. Austin Kearns, the one the Reds needed to make the playoffs, is hitting .187.

The Nationals OFer with the most Runs (Milledge) has scored the exact same number of runs as Griffey. And Griffey has more 2 more RBIs in 30 fewer ABs. Dunn has 16 more RBIs than the top RBI man in the outfield for the Nats.
    So that makes us good, and our situation ok?

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    No doubt! That is exactly what I was thinking when reading about how bad the Nats are.

I guess by that logic...if a team is the worst in history, then we should be OK with being the second worst team in history.

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    Nope. But it makes us better than the OP wants us to believe.

Listen, I know everyone is bothered at the lack of production of Dunn and Griffey but too many people go way overboard and sometimes I wonder if we really need another post about their low numbers. They are what they are and 12,868 threads about them are not going to make them improve.

Expressing your viewpoint is one thing. Constantly whining about the situation just gets old. That's why I quit visiting the reds.com board.

What team has a batting average of .246? Why harp on selecting players when the team as a whole is at fault. By the way, we have scored 50 more runs as a team than those lonely Nationals, while batting a mere .008 points higher. And we are only 13 runs away from the top half of the NL. I am gonna take a while guess and say these 2 hitters have a big something to do with keeping us from being right down there with the Nationals. Even if they have a low BA, they have uch higher OBP which is a sign of pitchers fear/respect for them at the plate. If you take them out of the lineup pitchers are going to walk to the mound against our team confident they can throw a shutout everytime because there is no real "threat" in the lineup.

You want to see a truly anemic offense? Take Dunn out of the Reds lineup. Scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post
    You want to see a truly anemic offense? Take Dunn out of the Reds lineup. Scary.
    Statistically yes. Still, a lineup that has Phillips, Votto, Bruce, Edwin, and Griffey has the potential to put up some runs. That's far from anemic, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 44Magnum View Post
    No doubt! That is exactly what I was thinking when reading about how bad the Nats are.

I guess by that logic...if a team is the worst in history, then we should be OK with being the second worst team in history.
    And the inference here is that the 2008 Reds are the 2nd worst team in history? Hardly.

Are they underperforming at the plate? You bet. No argument from me. I'm as frustrated as the next guy. However, I don't see how pointing the finger at 2 guys (who, for the Reds, are 3rd and 4th in Runs Scored; and 1st and 4th in RBIs) and pretending that getting rid of them will make the 6 other position players become better hitters.

This team can hit better, and should. Still, looking at the season as a whole, they're very close to the MLB average in OBP, SLG, and even Batting Average (14 points off the average).

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Statistically yes. Still, a lineup that has Phillips, Votto, Bruce, Edwin, and Griffey has the potential to put up some runs. That's far from anemic, IMO.
    On paper and in theory, I agree.

My point is more towards the notion that removing the Reds most productive bat (Dunn) will somehow make, what most fans would describe as a below average offense, better.

Dunn and Jr. drag the team down with more than there bats!

Once they are gone, everyone will see!

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post
    On paper and in theory, I agree.

My point is more towards the notion that removing the Reds most productive bat (Dunn) will somehow make, what most fans would describe as a below average offense, better.
    I dont want DUNN out at this point.

Griffey should be off the team.

And yes removing griffey from the team WILL make the entire team play better, more focused, hard nosed baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by 44Magnum View Post
    Dunn and Jr. drag the team down with more than there bats!

Once they are gone, everyone will see!
    Your original point and the purpose of the thread was all about their batting average, now it's become some mysterious "more than there bats." If you have specific evidence to show how 2 of the Reds most productive hitters over the past 4-5 years make the other players worse, I'd love to see it so we can all discuss the merits.
    Last edited by durl; 06-30-2008 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    Your original point and the purpose of the thread was all about their batting average, now it's become some mysterious "more than there bats." If you have specific evidence to show how 2 of the Reds most productive hitters over the past 4-5 years make the other players worse, I'd love to see it so we can all discuss the merits.
    Amen.

And I'm not holding my breath.

If you honestly think that dunn brings that much more to the dinner table than griffey you are sorely mistaken.. griffey is marginally better in the field.. and dunn is, at this point in griffs career, marginally better at the plate..

Turn Off Ads?