Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ice Cream or Frozen Custard?

Re: Ice Cream or Frozen Custard?

No one ever says UDF.

(I'm not a fan of UDF icecream)

I made ice cream through my high school college years. My votes - Haagen Daas, Graeters and Ben and Jerrys.
    Pots and Kettles

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

UDF sucks. I was so pissed off when Cincinnati voted it as the best ice cream over three other options. I think Carl Lindner paid someone off, or Graeter's isn't nearly as popular as I thought it was.

The stipulation should be "soft" ice cream vs custard, not just ice cream because that's a whole different food than soft serve or frozen custard.

Soft ice cream vs custard, it's custard every time though I can't find any place in greater Cincinnati that serves it. Yet, there must be, and I just don't know about it.

Re ice cream, do they still make Sealtest?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

You're right, TB. It's sort of like arguing an egg cream vs. a milkshake.
    Pots and Kettles

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

It depends on the flavor. I like UDF when it comes to their butter pecan and peanut butter and chip. I'm also fond of their milkshakes.

Anyone else been to Young's Jersey Dairy in Yellow Springs? Excellent ice cream and shakes there.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

Cincinnati's premiere expedited trucking company

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post

Anyone else been to Young's Jersey Dairy in Yellow Springs? Excellent ice cream and shakes there.
    GREAT stuff... if I fly in to Dayton I pick it up on the way to the In Laws.

I love both ice cream and frozen custard.

By the way, the only difference is the amount of air that is whipped into it. The formula is the same, but of course every brand is slightly different. Ice cream has more air and custard has less. Custard is denser and creamier. Ice cream is lighter and fluffier.

Graeter's has the best ice cream in my opinion. Awesome texture and flavor. It doesn't have the ice crystal texture of some others. They put lots of flavorings and pieces of fruit or candy in it too. The raspberry-chocolate chip is great, but the mocha chip is the best!

Dairy Queen's offering isn't even ice cream. It is technically a "dairy treat" because it contains very little cream or milk. It is mostly whipped air with a little flavoring.

Ritters is very good frozen custard, but my favorite is Culver's frozen custard. In my opinion it has a better texture and flavor. The best is their vanilla custard with toppings of hot fudge and bananas. Oh my god! Culvers is a national chain, but the only ones in my area of the northern suburbs are on Princeton road east of Hamilton and one on Tylersville Road near Mason (next to Brazenhead, speaking of awesome).

Flub's in Hamilton and Fairfield has good ice cream, but their sherbets are spectacular. Especially the orange and the strawberry. I have never been a huge sherbet fan, but Flubs' version is awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_serve

Soft serve (also called creemee or soft ice cream) is a frozen dessert that is dispensed from a machine instead of being served by hand. It was invented by a chemical research team (which included Margaret Thatcher) in Britain that discovered a method of doubling the amount of air in ice cream, which allowed manufacturers to use less of the actual ingredients, thereby reducing costs

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post

Soft ice cream vs custard, it's custard every time though I can't find any place in greater Cincinnati that serves it. Yet, there must be, and I just don't know about it.

There is a Ritters in West Chester and a Culvers in Mason that both have frozen custard.

Newtown Farm Market (http://www.newtownmarket.com/) has it (and a fun place to go too). We shop there sometimes.

Pay attention to the open sky

It's all about the butterfat content.
    Pots and Kettles

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    It's all about the butterfat content.
    Bingo, we have a winner.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

I'll take hard ice cream over DQ's frozen plastic stuff anyday...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    There is a Ritters in West Chester and a Culvers in Mason that both have frozen custard.
    I was waiting for someone to mention Culvers. Once you go there, you can stop looking, because there is no better frozen custard.
    /r/reds

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I was waiting for someone to mention Culvers. Once you go there, you can stop looking, because there is no better frozen custard.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    There are no Culver's here. Which is probably a good thing for me. A big bowl of custard ice cream after a 'butter burger' is nirvana.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?