Turn Off Ads?

Thread: My Run-In With Intramural Sports

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My Run-In With Intramural Sports

Last night I had a situation arise before our intramural softball playoff game. The umpire approached my team's captain and said the other team, which was Rec. Sports, would protest the game if I was to play. The reason he gave was this rule:
    "Candidates for varsity intercollegiate programs are not eligible for intramural participation in the related sport in which they are
    practicing. (This includes all players on the roster and other people
    who are practicing with the team.) Varsity participants must sit out one
    full season before Intramural eligibility can be reinstated."

Because I played baseball last season I was not allowed to play and had to completely leave the field. I can't argue the rule because it's a national rule, but I have a major issue with how the situation was handled and why the rule is in place.

Before the season started Rec. Sports had to verify everyone was eligible. So after they deemed me eligible is it fair to revoke my eligibility in the playoffs?

As far as the rule being fair. Don't see how they can justify keeping a guy out of intramural sports for a year when he no longer plays a team sport. I'm nothing but a college student right now. This rule seems very discriminatory. They said the rule is in place because intramural sports is for people who didn't have an opportunity to play athletics at the college level.

I also don't see how a college pitcher has an advantage at hitting a softball, or how i'll magically lose these "superior" skills after sitting out one year.

Do I have a case to take up with NIRSA or should I just take my ball and glove and stay at home?
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Re: My Run-In With Intramural Sports

Sounds like you have no case.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

The rule is in place so players can't arbitrarily "quit" the varsity team in the off-season, play intramurals, and then rejoin the varsity team following intramurals. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that was a real issue, based on how competitive some intramural teams can be.

As far as Rec. Sports verifying your eligibility, I would complain to their ruling body. They should have informed you of the rule prior to the season. They failed to do their jobs.

I have a bigger problem with your opponent bringing the rule to light just before the playoff game. I probably would have sat behind their dugout and jeered at them the entire game for being pansies.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    The rule is in place so players can't arbitrarily "quit" the varsity team in the off-season, play intramurals, and then rejoin the varsity team following intramurals. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that was a real issue, based on how competitive some intramural teams can be.

As far as Rec. Sports verifying your eligibility, I would complain to their ruling body. They should have informed you of the rule prior to the season. They failed to do their jobs.

I have a bigger problem with your opponent bringing the rule to light just before the playoff game. I probably would have sat behind their dugout and jeered at them the entire game for being pansies.
    As far as quitting, playing intramurals, and then rejoining the team, I think that the rule should ban scholarship athletes who still have eligibility left. I think once your eligibility is up you should be clear to play.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

I think its a stupid rule. Would a coach really allow a player to "quit" the team for awhile so he can play intramural sports?

btw i think the other team are pansies too

Just because someone is a good baseball player doesnt necessarily mean they are a good softball player. I have seen some great high school and college baseball players fed up with softball and quitting. I also know some guys who never even played junior high baseball be GREAT softball players.

Turn Off Ads?