Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baseball America note on Todd Frazier

Baseball America note on Todd Frazier

PROSPECT OF THE DAY

Todd Frazier (Reds) got off to a scorching start with low Class A Dayton, and has been very solid since being promoted to high Class A Sarasota. But like many other Florida State League hitters, he has found that the hot, muggy summer days does make hitting home runs a little more difficult.

Frazier went deep on Monday for his sixth home run since being promoted to Sarasota in early May. After hitting four home runs in May, it was only Frazier’s second homer this month. While his power may have dropped, Frazier has sharpened his batting eye. He’s hitting .344 this month, and has only 13 strikeouts in 61 at-bats, after striking out 21 times in 74 at-bats last month.

PROSPECT NUGGETS

There was a time when Rafael Gonzalez was considered one of the Reds’ top pitching prospects. Those days are gone. His fastball doesn’t have the zip it used to have, which explains why opponents are hitting .309 against him. The righthander has not made it through the sixth inning in any of his 10 starts, as he dropped to 3-5, 7.63 on Monday . . .

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...1214#more-1214

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball America note on Todd Frazier

Think Frazier has a shot at AA this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Think Frazier has a shot at AA this year?
    I'd like to see him get a month in Chattanooga but I'm not sure if the Reds will promote him or not.

Where is Frazier playing these days? SS?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Where is Frazier playing these days? SS?
    2008 games played by position:
    1B 17
    3B 7
    SS 24
    LF 8
    DH 11

However, lately, he's been playing more first base than anything else. This is probably because he's been sharing a lineup with Juan Francisco, Jose Castro, and Daniel Perales. He also shared some time with Chris Valaika, too.

I agree with OBM, I'd like to see him get a month at AA. It would be nice to have him move up two levels this year, which would put him on track to take a big league spot mid to late 2009. The guy flat-out hits, and you can't keep him in A ball all year, expecially if he starts hitting like he did in Dayton.

He should already be in double AA.

It's ok to let these guys learn their craft at appropriate levels. Castro is quickly turning into a non prospect. I'd have Frazier at SS until he proves he can't handle the position.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    It's ok to let these guys learn their craft at appropriate levels. Castro is quickly turning into a non prospect. I'd have Frazier at SS until he proves he can't handle the position.
    he has proven he can't handle the position. He just isn't good there. He doesn't have the range and he makes plenty of errors.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    he has proven he can't handle the position. He just isn't good there. He doesn't have the range and he makes plenty of errors.
    didn't realize that. so what is his best position? 3B or LF?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    didn't realize that. so what is his best position? 3B or LF?
    Based on how they've been moving him all over the place lately, I think that's what they're trying to figure out.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I'm again harping on the belief that Frazier would be an ideal CF. He's quick, has a decent arm, and should be ideal there, assuming the work, he should be above average in as little as two years.

Can the Reds wait that long?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'm again harping on the belief that Frazier would be an ideal CF. He's quick, has a decent arm, and should be ideal there, assuming the work, he should be above average in as little as two years.

Can the Reds wait that long?
    Frazier a big boy at 6'3" 215 and his speed is considered average and he lacks first-step quickness, which is the main reason he won't stick at SS. Those same weaknesses apply in center field. Frazier will most likely end up at third base or left field, with the former being the most likely since I think Votto will end up in LF when Yonder Alonso arrives.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Yeah, I think Frazier is our 3B of the future. And it's good that he is getting reps at 1B as well so we have a RHH that can spell Yonder at 1B at times.

Votto will either be LF or traded IMO. I hope we don't trade him. I like Votto's bat very much and think he's going to be an excellent hitter for years. And unlike a guy like Sean Casey (not to pick on one of my favorite Reds, but still...) I think Votto will get better with time and will add even more power to his game. Casey always had a weird looping swing that didn't produce much power. He golfed most of his HRs. Votto on the other hand strikes the ball hard and has a very nice swing IMO. He is just going to pick up more and more power as his career progresses.

Q: Kyle from Middletown asks:
    Did Todd Frazier get any consideration? Do you think he is about ready for AA? How about an ETA?

A: Ben Badler: I think he's a significantly better prospect than Juan Francisco, so I would base Frazier's assignment around what's best for Frazier's development. He's playing some shortstop, but I'd give him some time at third base at Chattanooga before the end of the season. It's not a bad idea to give him more time in the FSL, but the sooner he can develop his defensive skills at a corner position the better, and he can develop his fielding at any level.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/...8070301&rnd=17

Turn Off Ads?